CHALLENGER PRIME Problems

dvanteb

I purchased the challenger prime and I just got it today from shipping. Straight out of the box I have just this one problem. If I do ANYTHING involving switching the profiles with M1-M3, or going to the program to change anything, the left windows key won't work. It'll only work after I press reset on the software, just to get it to the factory settings so the windows key can actually work. Is there anything to do to fix this problem, or do I have to send it back? It'll be a shame though, I really would like to have and keep this keyboard.

• 2 months later...

I had the same issue when I got this keyboard. The reason this has occurred is the keyboard is in game mode. Apparently, when in game mode, the windows key is disabled. The fix is easy, just put the keyboard back into normal mode. This can be accomplished by holding down the (Fn) button, then pressing the (PrtScr/SysRq) button, just to the right of the F12 button. Now your windows key should be active. Hope this helps.

Guest Tt Josh

I purchased the challenger prime and I just got it today from shipping. Straight out of the box I have just this one problem. If I do ANYTHING involving switching the profiles with M1-M3, or going to the program to change anything, the left windows key won't work. It'll only work after I press reset on the software, just to get it to the factory settings so the windows key can actually work. Is there anything to do to fix this problem, or do I have to send it back? It'll be a shame though, I really would like to have and keep this keyboard.

I had the same issue when I got this keyboard. The reason this has occurred is the keyboard is in game mode. Apparently, when in game mode, the windows key is disabled. The fix is easy, just put the keyboard back into normal mode. This can be accomplished by holding down the (Fn) button, then pressing the (PrtScr/SysRq) button, just to the right of the F12 button. Now your windows key should be active. Hope this helps.

Thanks DaCaptain for the solving the problem! dvanteb, try to shift back to normal mode and you will be able to use the windows key again! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tt Josh

I have also had a problem with the backlight of the keyboard not working whenever I try to use the backlight of my keyboard it doesn't work I try turning it on and off however it never works

Hey PandaHunter, which country are you from? We'll get someone from local to assist on your issue! ;)

• 2 months later...

So I am Confused. Sorry to bring up an old thread, but it relates to the same topic. I to have a Challenger Prime Keyboard. I just bought it, and hooked it up. And I LOVE IT!!! However, I got it mainly for the backlighting and the macro keys. I am an IT administrator, and unfortunately, don't have much time for gaming these days.

I found this Windows Key thing to be a HUGE problem. I'm glad I found this forum, it tought me how to switch between gaming mode and standard mode quickly, and that does allow my windows key to work again. Although thats where the problem comes in. I like the Red Back lighting, its good for my migranes. When I switch to normal mode, the red AUTOMATICALLY switches back to blue! When I go into the settings of the Prime software and switch it back to red, The keyboard AUTOMATICALLY switches back to game mode, and I lose my Windows Key Functionality!

Not only that, I have assigned my Macro Keys to different keyboard shortcuts. They don't work while in Standard mode! So If I want my Windows Key, I can't have Red Lighting, or Use my Macro Keys??? There doesn't seem to be a way to customize a standard profile, only 3 gaming profiles. I wouldn't mind using the gaming profiles, BUT when under one of the gaming profiles, there doesn't seem to be a way for me to use my WINDOWS key. I even tried to assign a different key as the Windows Key, and that didn't work! Then I plugged in another Keyboard and pressed its Right Windows Key, to try and assign another key to the Right Windows key. It took the assignment, however it DOESN'T WORK when pressed!!! In my line of Work I need the Windows Key! So Do I need to ship this Keyboard back to Newegg and grab a different Brand??? Please help me out here. I just want to use the keyboard as advertised, its not even anything too crazy. I just want the Windows Key to work with red Lighting, and if its not too much to ask, I would like to have both of those with the Macro Keys, although If I can just use the Windows Key with Red Lighting, I will be happy enough to keep the keyboard. Thank You!

Matt

• 3 months later...

So I am Confused. Sorry to bring up an old thread, but it relates to the same topic. I to have a Challenger Prime Keyboard. I just bought it, and hooked it up. And I LOVE IT!!! However, I got it mainly for the backlighting and the macro keys. I am an IT administrator, and unfortunately, don't have much time for gaming these days.

I found this Windows Key thing to be a HUGE problem. I'm glad I found this forum, it tought me how to switch between gaming mode and standard mode quickly, and that does allow my windows key to work again. Although thats where the problem comes in. I like the Red Back lighting, its good for my migranes. When I switch to normal mode, the red AUTOMATICALLY switches back to blue! When I go into the settings of the Prime software and switch it back to red, The keyboard AUTOMATICALLY switches back to game mode, and I lose my Windows Key Functionality!

Not only that, I have assigned my Macro Keys to different keyboard shortcuts. They don't work while in Standard mode! So If I want my Windows Key, I can't have Red Lighting, or Use my Macro Keys??? There doesn't seem to be a way to customize a standard profile, only 3 gaming profiles. I wouldn't mind using the gaming profiles, BUT when under one of the gaming profiles, there doesn't seem to be a way for me to use my WINDOWS key. I even tried to assign a different key as the Windows Key, and that didn't work! Then I plugged in another Keyboard and pressed its Right Windows Key, to try and assign another key to the Right Windows key. It took the assignment, however it DOESN'T WORK when pressed!!! In my line of Work I need the Windows Key! So Do I need to ship this Keyboard back to Newegg and grab a different Brand??? Please help me out here. I just want to use the keyboard as advertised, its not even anything too crazy. I just want the Windows Key to work with red Lighting, and if its not too much to ask, I would like to have both of those with the Macro Keys, although If I can just use the Windows Key with Red Lighting, I will be happy enough to keep the keyboard. Thank You!

Matt

I have the same problems like in post #6. Can any of your support team reply our questions?

Yea, its a problem they are ignoring. The windows key will not work when in "gaming" mode, but in order to use the marcos, it has to be in gaming mode. Its stupid and they don't seem like they ever plan to fix it.

Here is a previous thread of everyone complaining about it and Tt Josh doing nothing except "submitting it" to the developers:

http://community.thermaltake.com/index.php?/topic/1717-challenger-prime-version-30-lacks-default-profile-support/

Guest Tt Josh

As we are handling the social media here, therefore we do not handle technical issues and we always escalate technical issues to the appropriate team for further review.  I don't see we are ignoring users here as we still helping users to escalate every time an user brought up issues like this. As the current layout is set like this when its first launched to prevent accidentally pressed on the windows key while in-game, therefore, in order to perform macros for games, you will need to shift to game mode.

As the current layout is set like this when its first launched to prevent accidentally pressed on the windows key while in-game, therefore, in order to perform macros for games, you will need to shift to game mode.

But why is it set to disable the macros when in the non-gaming, or "default" profile?

• 2 weeks later...

Non-gaming mode / Normal mode is set to be a normal keyboard with normal keyboard function :)

But if it was set to normal keyboard functions, shouldn't the macro's still work? Its not like they are impacting normal use. They are more of just additional assignable keys, or is it due to limitation of the hardware itself? Are the macro's for some reason being sent via the same (I don't know...) flag as the windows key, so its impossible to have the windows key and macros working at the same time?

Guest Tt Josh

But if it was set to normal keyboard functions, shouldn't the macro's still work? Its not like they are impacting normal use. They are more of just additional assignable keys, or is it due to limitation of the hardware itself? Are the macro's for some reason being sent via the same (I don't know...) flag as the windows key, so its impossible to have the windows key and macros working at the same time?

Hi Lachee, as this gaming keyboard made mainly for gaming purpose and we've made the normal mode as a default mode, therefore, it will act as a normal keyboard without any macro settings. Game mode allows gamers to do all the macros and lock the windows key for prevention on accidentally clicking on it while they're in an intense game :)

Guest Tt Josh

From bangladesh. yes

can u pls tell me that my one is  defected or not ?

i get different maximum brightness level in gaming and normal mode.

max brightness level in game mode > max brightness level in normal mode. 

Hi, please contact our customer support at cs2@thermaltake.com and we will have someone to assist you further on the keyboard :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Tt Josh

I have an issue when playing Skyrim... When i'm in game the multimedia keys doesn't work at all (pause, mute, volum+/-, etc) what could be the problem?? anyone who have the same issue? help :C

Hi, did you try to plug it to another USB port?

• 3 months later...

This is incredibly annoying, I use the macro keys on the left for volume settings, as the keys on the top are too far to adjust fast, but the keys dont work when Gaming mode isnt on.  But the problem is when Gaming mode is on I cant use the windows key and there are NO options at all to change this.  Please allow us to customize gaming mode there is absolutely no reason or sense in forcing users to use your settings

Guest Tt Josh

I shouldnt have to choose between Windows key or Macro keys that makes no sense

Hi, this issue has already been brought up by a lot of our fans our there and it has already been passed to the appropriate team. The team will look into it accordingly.