Core V31 dual 360mm radiators

10e

FYI for those water cooling afficionados out there,

You are able to fit two 360mm radiators into the fairly compact Core V31.

I was able to fit a top mounted XSPC EX360 multi-port radiator with the fans below it in push (ie. blowing upwards and outwards) with a Swiftech MCR320-XP in the front with push too. I had to remove the optical trays and the top fan only has two screws mounted into the case on the front-mounted 360mm radiator, but it is do-able.

Water ports on the front mounted radiator were on the bottom, and the top mounted radiator has them in the back.

I was also able to fit a Darkside LP360 27mm thick radiator in the front with an Alphacool UT60 (60mm thick) radiator in th top, same configuration as above. This is pretty heavy duty for almost any dual, and possibly triple GPU builds out there.

Just an FYi as I noticed this case isn't receiving the well-deserved love here.

For a case that is nearly an inch less in depth to the best, similar competitor (FD Define R5) and a fair bit shorter than another (NZXT H440 which can also do 2x360mm radiators) this is pretty immense.

Here's an example shot with my junky cell phone camera with an Alphacool ST30 up top and a Swiftech MCR320-XP in front.

If I take the Alphacool and flip it with the fans, I can actually fit an Alphacool UT60, possibly with push-pull fans. And even then I still have room for a large reservoir mounted to the front radiator and space for 10.5" or 11" video cards. THis orientation was a test-fit to explore options.

2015-03-10%2007.21.36.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an example shot with my junky cell phone camera with an Alphacool ST30 up top and a Swiftech MCR320-XP in front.

If I take the Alphacool and flip it with the fans, I can actually fit an Alphacool UT60, possibly with push-pull fans. And even then I still have room for a large reservoir mounted to the front radiator and space for 10.5" or 11" video cards. THis orientation was a test-fit to explore options.

2015-03-10%2007.21.36.jpg

Thank you for the input. :)

I am really interested in the V31.

Could you please provide some more measurements?

What is the clearance between the top radiator and the motherboard?

And what is the maximum height of RAM if I use 25mm fans and XT45 360 up top?

Thank you in advance and sorry for my bad English as this is not my native language. :wacko:

There's about 35mm of space between the top and the motherboard's edge. In terms of height restrictions the fan holes are lined up with the I/O shield's edge, so anything taller won't fit, but you also need to take into account the width of the radiator. For example a 124mm wide radiator like the top mounted Alphacool will hang 2mm lower than the I/O shield's edge, so any low profile RAM will fit without issue. Something like a Hardware labs Black ice or Nemesis is 133mm so it is going to hang down another 6.5mm below the top of the I/O shield.

Something like Dominator Platinum or Vengeance Pro RAM with their higher heat sinks would impact whether or not you could fit any radiator up there because they might clash with the radiator or fans above them.

This is generally the compromise with "off-set" fan positioning in the top of the case similar to what Fractal Design does or NZXT does with their H440, though the H440 has the most clearance from edge of motherboard to top at about 55mm, while Fractal Design's R5 is a wider case at 235mm so their fan holes are offset even more, giving another 6-10mm of space above motherboard components.

But neither is as graceful at handling dual 360mm radiators as the V31 or Versa H35 which seems to be the same chassis. The Fractal can't easily fit a front mounted 360mm radiator at all.  If this is a big problem for you the Silverstone Kublai KL05 has a taller profile which allows you to fit the radiator above the chassis and below the top plastic panel, but A) It's ugly (in my opinion) and B) it only fits up to 280mm radiators as opposed to the triple 120mm (360mm) radiators the Thermaltake offerings fit.

For me it's easy to use a top-mounted 360mm in the V31/H35 because I always use low profile RAM. DDR3 and DDR4 don't need RAM heatsinks in my opinion, so I avoid any RAM that has tall heat sinks as much as possible.

Hope that helps in your selection!

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...