Poseidon Z driver for Mac OS X 10.10+

brandonchang

Hi I'm on OSX 10.10.5 with a Poseidon ZX. I downloaded your ZX driver and followed your instructions from the first page. After several tries I also looked in the IORegistryExplorer but was not able to find "TtEsports", "Poseidon", "ZX" I only have "USB Keyboard"

Please let me know what information you need from me and I'll gladly share it. Otherwise I'll have to return this keyboard.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! First of all thanks for the driver - it's great. But I have a problem with it: after the crash, the keyboard stopped working. I went through the steps again, and still nothing. The weird part is that the keyboard works fine when in the login screen. After logging in, it stops working correctly ('e'->'e '). 

Kexstat gives the following:

kextstat | grep IOUSBHIDDriver
67    5 0xffffff7f80d9a000 0xa000     0xa000     com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver (900.4.1) 7180DE6A-7FF9-35D5-A78A-8C417A4BD45E <39 31 5 4 3 1>

Help?

Hey, thanks for the post! It really fixed the problem for the keyboard, and I've been using it without any issues recently. However, I just so happened to download the new OS update "El Capitan" (Version 10.11) and it apparently disabled both my keyboard as well as my Ethernet cable at the same time. I tried redoing the steps and apparently, I do not believe they are working perhaps due to the newer OS version? I was wondering if there were going to be solutions for future OS updates like this one which will allow Mac users to keep using their Poseidon Z's? 

In El Capitan, they introduce "System Integrity Protection".

With this protection, it is required that a kext has to be signed.

However, the kext provided by @brandonchang is not signed.

We were able to get away by using kext-dev-mode=1 in boot-args.

This doesn't work anymore with the new protection enabled.

To workaround this problem, you may need to disable such protection and also add "kext-dev-mode=1" in boot-args.

See here for more information.

Do this at your own risk...

Note that you are about to disable such protection entirely.

Good Luck :)

proof.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I see, thanks for the reply hibikiledo. However, is this same process also necessary for the Poseidon RGB Brown Switch keyboard as well where I have to risk losing the protection? Or do I just do the regular process excluding the protection disabling? I'm currently thinking about selling my current Z keyboard and buying the RGB or a keyboard from a different brand. However, I'm still leaning towards getting the RGB. Any suggestions? ã©ã‚‚

Hi, just registered to thank everyone who had some input on this.

As mentioned above, I was able to get the Poseidon Z working on OSX El Capitan by first disabling System Integrity Protection, which locks certain directories out of writing even for root for unsigned kexts.

1. Reboot Mac and load recovery mode (cmd+r on boot)

2. Open Terminal

3. # csrutil disable ; reboot

After disabling SIP, I was able to follow the original instructions to install the kext. It's working pretty good now!

In El Capitan, they introduce "System Integrity Protection".

With this protection, it is required that a kext has to be signed.

However, the kext provided by @brandonchang is not signed.

We were able to get away by using kext-dev-mode=1 in boot-args.

This doesn't work anymore with the new protection enabled.

To workaround this problem, you may need to disable such protection and also add "kext-dev-mode=1" in boot-args.

See here for more information.

Do this at your own risk...

Note that you are about to disable such protection entirely.

Good Luck :)

proof.jpg

You are awesome! Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The RGB Brown Switch version works completely fine on the Macbook Pro OS10.11 El Capitan. However, I don't believe there is a way to download the software in order to customize the keyboard so far. (I don't have any programs on my Mac that can run Windows-based files like the software for the RGB). If anyone has any ideas, that would be nice. 

Guest Tt Josh

The RGB Brown Switch version works completely fine on the Macbook Pro OS10.11 El Capitan. However, I don't believe there is a way to download the software in order to customize the keyboard so far. (I don't have any programs on my Mac that can run Windows-based files like the software for the RGB). If anyone has any ideas, that would be nice. 

Hi hinotenshi, yea the software currently does not support with MAC but the keyboard as a hardward does and the lighting effects still works with MAC. :)

Guest Tt Josh

When will we be expecting the software to be available for the Mac? Any time soon? I'm fine with the keyboard working and the Cherry lighting but I really want to be able to customize this. 

We do not have an exact time for that but I will pass your feedback to the software team.

Guest Tt Josh

Hey!

I got this kext working on OSX El Capitan.

One question though. Is it possible to swap the windows and alt keys? In other words, I want my alt key to act as the cmd key because its a lot easier to reach with my thumb.

Thanks.

Hi nahtnam, unfortunately, windows key cannot be changed.

@brandonchang

It would be super awesome to have this as open source as @hibikiledo mentioned. Essentially running a binary as root after disabling some pretty core OS protections is a scary prospect. Plus we could assist in testing out various OSX versions that the others are asking for support of.

@nathnam

You can change how the modifier keys behave from OSX by going to System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Modifier Keys.

• 4 weeks later...

Whats the status on this project? I am a developer and want to help as much as I can. I've never written a driver before, but I know some objective-c and swift and can get by in C. I see Apple's documentation here https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/DeviceDrivers/Conceptual/IOKitFundamentals/Features/Features.html. I also found this really old but interesting article. http://www.snark.de/mac/usbkbpatch/index_en.html

Any open sourcing would be great. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

This is not a driver request post. This is an actual driver release/testing post.

As some of you might know, TtEsports Poseidon Z keyboard does not work properly on Mac OS X. Symptoms like typing "e" generates "e ", pressing "tab" results in nothing are seen under Mac OS X. I programmed an in-kernel driver for Poseidon Z keyboard to replace the stock IOUSBHIDDriver.kext generic USB keyboard driver for Poseidon keyboard.

This driver currently only supports Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite. It's not because it uses any new features of Yosemite. It simply because I have upgraded all my Macintoshes and Hackintoshes to 10.10. I have no testing environment for older Mac OS X systems.

This driver only drives Poseidon Z keyboard, even though its name is misleading (TtEsportsUSBHIDDriver.kext). In other works, vendor ID 0x566, product ID 0x3067.

To install the driver, I recommend to use Kext Utility.app, which I already include in the download package. Please download the driver package at http://cl.ly/2u2m230n1S35?_ga=1.36054240.1744096441.1388556674first.

Please unpack the package, you will find three components: TtEsportsUSBHIDDriver.kext, Kext Utility.app and IORegistryExplorer.app. Follow the steps below to install.

0. Disable the check of driver signatures by using the command below in Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app

sudo nvram boot-args=kext-dev-mode=1 

It's worth mentioning that this command will need to be rerun after whenever you issue an nvram clear (i.e., Command+Option+P+R during booting). A more permanent solution is editing /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist.

Please restart your Mac after this step.

1. Drag "Kext Utility.app" to your Applications folder, and launch it.

2. Type in your login password, and wait until it's done with its work.

3. Drag TtEsportsUSBHIDDriver.kext into the window of Kext Utility, and type in your password again. Wait until it's done.

4. Replug in your Poseidon Z keyboard. If it still doesn't work, reboot your Mac and plug in your keyboard.

If your keyboard still doesn't work after the steps above, please launch "IORegistryExplorer.app" and search for "TtEsports". If you cannot find the driver like what is shown on the screenshot, then the driver doesn't work for you, please reply this post.

FYI, I'm using a blue switch Poseidon Z.

attachicon.gifscreenshot.png

hey man,

i have 10.11 el capitan, do u know if this driver will work on it???

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

I recently purchased a Poseidon Z Blue and I thought it would work on my mac.

I have the instructions posted in this thread, but I can't get it working. I have a MacBook Air with El Capitan.

Can you guys help me with using this keyboard with mac?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks in advance, 

Jordan