Poseidon Z driver for Mac OS X 10.10+

brandonchang

hey man,

i have 10.11 el capitan, do u know if this driver will work on it???

I've tried the driver on Yosemite and it works. After upgrade to El Capitan it stopped working =(

Thermaltake company have to issue a driver for Mac OS X! Why we have so many troubles with the keyboard on OS X.

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently running Mac 10.11.3 El Capitan.  I have the Poseidon ZX, and for my case, the problem isn't that the keyboard isn't recognized, but the functionality of certain keys.  For instance, the spacebar, backspace, and tab keys, and arrow keys don't work.  and whenever i type the 'D' key, it types d, but then skips a couple spaces after. when i type 'F', it'll skip to the next line, and 'C' back tracks to the previous letter.  Making it pretty useless on Mac.  I tried the steps details in this forum but unfortunately, it didn't fix the issues.  I also tried this on Mac 10.8.5 and it didn't work.  On the Windows side of things, this keyboard works great.  

Does anyone have any suggestions to get it to work properly for 10.11.3?  I would hate to return this keyboard but will have to if it can't work properly on the Mac side.

for those who have gotten their keyboards to work properly on any version of Mac, you can use the program Karabiner to remap the keys to better fit a default mac keyboard layout.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just purchased the ZX Blue illuminated keyboard last weekend specifically to use with my mac at home when i'm working and gaming on my pc on the weekends. Can we please get an update from TT. I can't return this thing and its just taking up desk space. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Allow me to throw out a solution that has so far allowed me to enjoy this keyboard under 10.11.6 without any drivers. Please note that I have not torture tested it.

The solution is a two part hardware solution. 

Mine was one that I had lying around the house from an old mouse. In fact it is labeled with a mouse pictogram and is PC95 turquoise.

The second half of the solution is a PS/2 to USB adaptor. The adaptor I used happens to be built into the KVM which I use to switch between my Mac and my Linux machine, but I think that a standalone USB to PS/2 adaptor would have worked the same.

The PS/2 to USB adaptor is, as I understand it, somewhat of a “smart†adaptor insofar as it makes a PS/2 keyboard appear to be a HID compliant USB keyboard.

On the other hand the USB to PS/2 adaptor is — as I understand it — a “dumb†adaptor which relies upon one’s USB keyboard being, if you will, bilingual, and speaking both USB HID and PS/2, with the bilingual keyboard not having a separate PS/2 plug and instead somehow allowing PS/2 signals to go out the USB connector when coupled with the dongle.

My theory in approaching this was as follows.

That Thermaltake, when designing this keyboard, started with an off-the-shelf chipset and then modified things. And, that the chipset provided for a USB HID-PS/2 bilingual keyboard. 

Further to that that Thermaltake did not eliminate the PS/2 side of things and instead left it in the off-the-shelf configuration for the keyboard.

On the other hand, I saw Thermaltake as perhaps deviating from the off-the-shelf configuration on the HID side of things, mainly — I imagine — to add n-key rollover capability.

As I understand the n-key rollover capability to be what confuses the Mac (but not Linux FWIW), I felt that Thermaltake leaving the PS/2 side of things off-the-shelf would be great: 
no Mac-confusing Thermaltake n-key implementation.

With this theory in hand I tried it, and it seems to work.

I have not — and probably will not get a chance to — fire up, say, Wireshark and see if the keyboard is sending out a somewhat different scan code stream operating PS/2 versus the out of the box USB way.

I gather from this thread that Thermaltake’s n-key rollover approach involves something along the lines of sending two or more scancodes at once and that such confuses the Mac.

If so, perhaps this does not happen at all in PS/2 mode?

Finally, one one hand I can imagine the approach laid out here as meaning no n-key rollover functionality. FWIW, I purchased this keyboard for coding and for writing and therefore am not particularly worried about that.

Having said that, I based on that which I have heard about PS/2 and n-key rollover, it it possible that when operating in PS/2 mode the chipset defaults provide some degree of n-key rollover? If so, does my PS/2 to USB-HID adaptor ignore it?

In any case, if anyone else tries this I would be happy to hear their results. 

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, FYI this project gets the ZX working on OS X (I just installed it with no hassles at all with Sierra):

https://github.com/thefloweringash/iousbhiddriver-descriptor-override

I don't think it works with the Z, sadly, however the patch that got the ZX working is quite simple so if you are lucky, Z support could be added in the future.

As an added bonus, it looks like it's signed so doesn't require disabling kext validation, and furthermore it's open source, which may make you feel a bit better about giving unknown code the ability to run in kernel-mode and do whatever the #### it wants with your system.

Finally, Thermaltake's approach to this is absolutely #### deplorable. How come randoms on the internet can get your keyboards to work with OS X, but you guys yourselves can't be bothered?

Hello,

Glad to hear it works in Sierra, I haven't had the chance to test it yet.

The code that runs in kernel space is very simple, and only runs on device initialisation. Since the issue it fixes is caused by the contents of the hid report descriptor, when asked to get the descriptor from the device it returns a corrected one in its place.

For adding new devices there's a section in the readme. If that's not doable, having a description of the keyboard, in particular the hid report descriptors, may be enough (see the post in page 2 of this thread by brandonchang). Just to temper expectations, the kext fixes one particular issue, which may or may not be the cause of problems with the Z.

Unfortunately I've been unable to sign the kernel extension. Apple require developers to apply for this ability, in addition to having a paid developer account, and I was not permitted.

• 1 month later...

Good news. Got this working on Seirra with Poseidon Z using https://github.com/thefloweringash/iousbhiddriver-descriptor-override/issues/33

Bad news. Characters stop working after about 50 key presses. 

Can install with https://thefloweringash.com/iousbhiddriver-descriptor-override/downloads/IOUSBHIDDriverDescriptorOverride-2016-11-13-cfa5838.pkg

Note you will need to enter recovery mode and disable SIP. Instructions 

-FWIW, to anyone who's thinking of disabling SIP fix the kext signing issue, it's possible to only disable the kext signature checking and leave all the other protections enabled.

All you need to do is in recovery mode after disabling SIP with csrutil disable, enable it again but without kext signing enable with csrutil enable --without kext. The util will give you a warning about this feature possibly being unsupported in future versions, so be forewarned this might be a bad idea.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
On 3/20/2016 at 11:53 PM, tyanukjin said:

I've tried the driver on Yosemite and it works. After upgrade to El Capitan it stopped working =(

Thermaltake company have to issue a driver for Mac OS X! Why we have so many troubles with the keyboard on OS X.

Hello all - i am having the same issue with my mac. Apparently the driver is very old and we are now on IOS Catalina.

Can anyone help me if there is a driver for mac so i can used my gaming key board to my Mac? thnks