max 5 duo and hard drive path collisions...maybe?

sgt_carbonero

So I just installed the Max 5 duo today in a win 7 ultimate machine with essentially a brand new build.

My issue is I have the C drive, a D drive that is also in an older Tray-less drive, and then the E drive in the Max Duo.

--If I start the machine with the max on, all drives show up fine. I can then "Safe eject" the Max drive, and turn off the Max, leaving the disk plugged in but off.

Then, if I turn on the Max drive again, the D drive disappears and no sign of the E drive either. I then go into Device manager to scan disks and the Max drive immediately mounts, without the D drive. Device manager does not see the D drive. Disk management shows the D drive, disk 2, completely missing from the lineup. If i hit rescan disks under disk management nothing comes up.

If I then turn off the Max Drive, manually eject the old trayless "missing" D drive and reinsert it, it shows up in device manager and eventually also in the computer.

I have tried changing to full permissions, I have tried giving the Max drive a path letter of M to make sure there is no conflict, and same results.

So it appears when i turn on the MAX I see in Disk Management my D drive is kicked out of Disk 1 and the MAx drive takes its place. Disk 2 in Disk management is strangely absent....?

help.....

Edit, If I restart with Max on I see Drive 2 in disk management, with C being Disk 0, D being Disk 1 and the Max drive as Disk 2.

post-98727-0-33962000-1447818046_thumb.jpg

to add,

if i start the computer with max duo on, then simply safe eject the disk and remove it with the duo still on,  i can re-insert the disk and it shows upi with no problems. its only when I turn off the max duo and turn it on again that it kicks the D drive offline.

but that is the feature i am looking for: to simply turn off the disk so i dont need to pull it out of my system.

thanks.