New Rig In The Making

Forcefedflesh

Nawh, since its 5ghz turbo, Ill keep it stock, I enjoy things stock =)

I may end up running into a few hiccups with this build though... will find out tomorrow for sure if I can make something work or not.

Id hate to have to change chassis :(

ohh haha i thought it was 4.7 my bad, good luck on the build!

cant wait to see it

So... Without Further waiting, as I tried some stuff, had to attempt stuff, and the sore back that came from juggling between 3 computers. I present to you the last and final piece that I got!

INTRODUCING THE R9-295X2!!!!!

xMStu60l.jpg

wJ3HaHBl.jpg

R42LeBol.jpg

Lets go over a few things.

Its a Chaser A41 Snow Edition from Thermaltake I won during a giveaway, which also I won with the Kingston 16GB HyperX 1866MHz Memory Kit.

Also from that giveaway was the Inwin 1200w Commander II Power Supply.

Other parts not mentioned is a 120gb SSD I had, as well as a 30gb Sata 2 SSD, and 1tb Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid Drive.

So I pretty much had the base Build ready, I really did not feel like letting any parts go to waste, So I used what I could, Good or bad.

So, there were a few hard parts about this build.

First, A Suitable PSU, Making sure I had the power to supply what Is needed, For those who do not know, You need a PSU First for the 295x2 to consume 28amps PER RAIL/8pin. This PSU has 4 Rails, I used rail 4 and rail 3, Single connector ONLY, as they each can only do 40amps.

Also don't forget the Molex Connector for the GPUs to receive a healthy current as well.

This is key to know.

Also the PSU with 2x EPS (motherboard 8pin's) Is needed, But one has to be a 4+4 pin. This is to make sure the 9590 receives healthy current the entire time, as the Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula Z has a dedicated 8pin and optional 4pin.

Now, While I do now know that 2 cooler setups one being on the CPU as a AIO Cooler, and the other on the GPU which thankfully was a 120mm radiator as well, I ran into a issue.

With both taking up space, The Biggest problem was, Where am I going to put these?!?!?!. I almost got rid of the CPU AIO because I couldn't mount it above due to Cables from the EPS Getting in way, as the Motherboard Layout ruins quite a bit of things. I noticed this usually happens on ROG Boards.

Now with both figured out where to go, Cable Management was near impossible. With needed 2 Dedicated rails to the GPU, I had 2 PCI-E Powers that are non modular taking up space, as well as a few others.

Including needing power for the Mobo 4pin Molex to the GPU, and 2x Sata cables, one for HDD's and one for the single DVD Drive (Cant reach with single cable). I was still SLIGHTLY able to manage putting it together.

The one thing I wanted to do but could not, I wanted to make the 295x2 Radiator Push air into the case, not Push out. The reason I could not is because the radiator has to sit on the bottom of the case, as the radiator comes too much out the sides and would effect the PSU Cables more that were modular.

So, Without blabbing some more, I will finish this up with  the following...

It was Challenging, It was fun, It will be going through some massive gaming sessions, and I couldn't be happier as I love challenges 

So please feel free to Ask any questions for me.

H83psUPl.jpg

Look how close it was just for the gpu...haha!

Joc0nlZl.jpg

And of course, Windowed off, showing just the after glow of epicness.

GKm7UyAl.jpg

Great build!! looks very clean

Love your gpu selection, that's one beast of a card you have!

what games will u be running on this bad boy?

I know its not really clean, I coulda did a few things with the Fan cables for the CPU Cooler, but I felt lazy and my hands are too big and didn't wanna pull out the tweezers haha.

Also the PSU I could barely make that better but eh Work with what you got!

Honestly. Idk, Some BF4, Dota 2, maybe some Wildstar and Diablo 3.

While it seems over kill to everyone these days to play those games with this gpu, having the power in the future is also nice to have, as well as what if I go 4k? There goes the GPU Usage right away sometime in the future, so its necessarily not too crazy of a setup, its actually Pretty freaking awesome so far.

As Also I noticed, They actually use quite some GPU Usage too, I say this because some people don't take into effect some huge battle scenes. Where Ive seen some GPU's dip hard down in the FPS because of those parts, and also during streaming gets effected hard, because of course Imma be streaming again too now! =)

Actually Forcefedflesh i think your build looks quite clean, its not easy having the 295 x2's piping come out at such a awkward place lol..

i used to run 4 aio coolers in my build, its not easy to make it look good.. actually impossible haha

The PSU looks fine, actually looks quite cosy in there, looks like u fully utilized the interior of the case

Have u ever thought about running the bottom rad in pull? i find it much easier for cleaning and the difference in temps is only 1 or 2 deg with a high static pressure fan.

Yes it feels a bit overkill for games like dota2 and d3 but i think BF4 can fully utilize the cards! 

Have you run into any optimization issues with less graphically intensive games? i find that sometimes i have to turn of a few gpus in order to have it run more smoother :(

Actually Forcefedflesh i think your build looks quite clean, its not easy having the 295 x2's piping come out at such a awkward place lol..

i used to run 4 aio coolers in my build, its not easy to make it look good.. actually impossible haha

The PSU looks fine, actually looks quite cosy in there, looks like u fully utilized the interior of the case

Have u ever thought about running the bottom rad in pull? i find it much easier for cleaning and the difference in temps is only 1 or 2 deg with a high static pressure fan.

Yes it feels a bit overkill for games like dota2 and d3 but i think BF4 can fully utilize the cards! 

Have you run into any optimization issues with less graphically intensive games? i find that sometimes i have to turn of a few gpus in order to have it run more smoother :(

Yeah, I love AIO's, Specifically Asetek, I wish this was a Asetek cooler for the CPU :(.

But yeah, I was gonna put it in Pull for the GPU, but it just made sense to put it as push seeing that the Chassis front Fan pushes cold air into the case, so theres a more better ambient temp for the radiator getting a Fresher air intake. Than pulling what it can.

Of course also I haven't looked at the static pressure of this fan either for the r9 295x2 BUT it will most likely happen eventually if I see it heat up more than id Like to, as it cooled down, so when its summer next year,  Id know for sure to put it in pull to get a little more cooler air in and what not.

I haven't played any games yet really just tested, as I am redownloading them now, But I will let ya know. =) 

Also regarding the PSU, Yeah its Cozy, but snug too, The wires are at their limits with being bent to get pushed behind into the back as the modular cables as you can see are putting up a fight, but not enough to where something bad will happen most likely.

Yep, those coolers are quite reliable! though i'm going full custom loop soon..

I think static pressure fans make all the difference, i was running push pull before with just any old fan i could get my hands on, they were loud and did the job.

Then 1 day i decided to change to static pressure fans, 1 fan in pull actually dropped the temp about 3-4 deg rather than having 2 non static pressure fans in push pull.

Yeh i know what you mean about the push configuration you are doing, it seems like the air wont be as obstructed and will receive cooler air :) 

just be careful with the psu cords hitting the fan at the bottom. 

Anyway great build! cant wait to see how much juice these bad boys can put out! 

do keep us updated :D

So, I decided to do this last night, and then take pics in the morning.

I am SORRY THERMALTAKE! :( But it had to be done. Don't worry, I still used the chassis to swap with =)
Here is the rig my friend is going to get, Still far better than his current.

I got it as good looking I could for him, He needs to pick it up already! haha.
p6x6obul.jpg
3vcolYFl.jpg

Then, While I went off and did that, Of course I had to swap out the new rig as well, and here it is!

Look at Radeon Lurking in the shadows!
2MZF2Rcl.jpg

And of course side panel off so you can see the rest.
q89mVOCl.jpg

And a no flash.
AH9iiSIl.jpg

I facepalmed when I was changing out rigs too, cause I forgot to clean my buddies rig I am giving him, and well... I had to dust it out  as well adding another ugh moment to my week haha.

Once again, I want to first apologize for Using a different chassis in the end from a competitor but at the same time, I still used the chassis for a friends rig I gave him.

Also Btw, I won some TT peripherals back then too I haven't used so I hooked him up with a new mouse n keyboard =)

He says thanks to Thermaltake! as regardless, you guys when I won stuff helped me help him.
VrYk1iWl.jpg

• 3 years later...