Thermaltake Matrix V2000BNS - max cooler height

etonci

I have this chasis for a very long time. Recently I've added a X5450 cpu via mod and it's hot, the cheap cooler I've bought is barely holding the fire under control even with light load. So I'm looking for a decent cpu cooler that will fit inside this chassis. Main criterion height of the cooler.

I've set my eyes on Freezer 13 or Hyper 212 EVO on a p35c-ds3r and I have taken into consideration based on mbo heatsink&ram placements that the coolers should surmount them if their volume crosses into their area based on orientation I'd choose set them.

Mbo heatsink south of cpu is about 2,5cm high and coolers should have clearance above it (freezer barely I think by some manual calculation & hyper by a higher margin cause it has detailed measures schematic on the offical page).

I've switched from ddr2 to 2x4gb 1333mhz of low profile ddr3 to the right so there's space too). Feel free to comment the info in my unimportant rant, but my main question is this:

Official page for my chassis doesn't state what's the maximum cooler height it supports as do some less older(I think) chassis from Thermaltake. It has 190mm width and I've found a few similar width chassis from Thermaltake like the V3 Black Edition or the VD3000BWA and they have 190mm width in common with info on supported max cooler size on their profile pages: 160mm and 165mm respectively.

I did some manual measuring and the VD2000BNS seem to have (unofficialy) 160mm, via my measuring which should fit the higher Hyper 212 EVO of 159mm height and also have some free space below it to accomodate mbo heatsink&ram areas. Maybe I'm lucky and have and extra 5mm space due to mbo mounting, but 160mm seen enough & cutting it close. Is my logic sound??

Going for freezer 13 is safe on height but it's wider in width&depth or too close to psu& outake fan and I'm not so sure two screws on each side would hold it better mounted so the cpu fan blows to the psu intake fan&out which seem to be the only orientation possible on my mbo.

They are more expensive but affordable and not perfect. Initialy the cooling effect is great but drops over constant heating and cooling. I'd go for Hyper Evo 212 cause cause of CDC over Direct Contact in Freezer. Since the chip is hotter and more surface will be covered.