**ATTN Users with Thermaltake Riser Cables**

ThermalMike

Hi All,

Sorry been tied up into some projects. If you emailed me, cables will be going out tomorrow.

Jakevsnake - Already working with Amazon, all the new orders should be the new cable design. Suggest to go through me and I can swap it out for free. I did see you got the 1 replacement I sent you already back on 3.17, that cable is working for you correct?

I just ordered a Core P5 case from Amazon today & was wondering if it will ship with the updated PCIe 16x extender cable? Amazon only had one extra Thermaltake PCIe 16x cable left. Every single review but one says these cables do not work in the 1st PCIe slot, if these are the updated cables then put that in the title so people will see that these are updated and so indeed work.

If I get a folded taco cable in my Core P5 box I am going to be disappointed.

Broken_pixel,

You will get the original cable in the P5, that has not changed yet, we have not had a lot of requests for cables to be honest since we started this.

Please try and test it, if you have a problem, email me and I will take care of you.

As for the Amazon product page, I already implemented a change to it and added an official statement from Thermaltake about the design change.

Take time to have them update.

Here to help if you need anything.

Broken_pixel,

You will get the original cable in the P5, that has not changed yet, we have not had a lot of requests for cables to be honest since we started this.

Please try and test it, if you have a problem, email me and I will take care of you.

As for the Amazon product page, I already implemented a change to it and added an official statement from Thermaltake about the design change.

Take time to have them update.

Here to help if you need anything.

Check your e-mail please! Thanks!

Hi All,

Sorry been tied up into some projects. If you emailed me, cables will be going out tomorrow.

Jakevsnake - Already working with Amazon, all the new orders should be the new cable design. Suggest to go through me and I can swap it out for free. I did see you got the 1 replacement I sent you already back on 3.17, that cable is working for you correct?

Mike, yeah the new versions seem to be working ok.  I havent been stressing the system since I havent been feeling well.  I want to swap out the cable I got from Amazon (old version).  I will send you another email in case my old email is buried in your mailbox.

Temp Riser Cable Fix.

Hey everyone, just finished my P5 build the other day and mine took about 4 reboots to get into windows then kept getting black screens.

I then remembered seeing a couple of posts about the riser cables causing this very problem so i contacted Thermalmike for a replacement cable....he got back to me within an hour even tho im in the UK and i gave him my details etc. :)

I am quite an impatient guy and obviously receiving my new cable from the USA to the UK isn't gonna be quick so I looked for a temp fix.

I was convinced this fault was due to shielding after reading a few posts and remembered years ago i had a Bass guitar that had shielding issues due to the electromagnetic interference from the on board pre amp and the pick ups resulting in a low hum when plugged into the main Amp.

I cured this by replacing the EMI aluminum tape that had came away which then fixed the problem.

So i hunted around my shed for the tape and proceeded to try the same solution.

20160402_143435_zpscogrpsc3.jpg

20160402_143442_zpswz0zyo75.jpg

20160402_144700_zpsmf248tah.jpg

20160402_145355_zps22ok1rhe.jpg

After applying the ally tape i rebuilt it and and prayed to the PC gods to be lenient with me ....as you do.

Pressed the power button and within moments it booted straight into windows......woo hoo.

The next test was to wait for my Deskscapes dreamscene to either freeze or black screen, which normally happens within 2 minutes or less.....it has been over 30 minutes now and i am still good. :)

20160401_143650_zpslxm8cwu0.jpg

20160401_142100_zpsvbsrxvwc.jpg

Update on the riser cable temp fix.......now starting to get stuttering on my dreamscene.....not a total fix but no black screens and boots into windows ok.....i might shield my sound card to see if that makes a difference?

EDIT.....no difference.  :(

Double EDIT....Tried to play Black ops 3 again that was perfect earlier and it wouldn't even load the map it just ground to a halt then black screened.....i could tell it was going to do this as even the menus were lagging so bad.

So then i rebooted and entered the game again and turned all the eye candy off....and i mean off....everything on low and at the lowest settings possible for the game.....this time it allowed me into the game, but it was so laggy it was unplayable.

Strange i was playing it earlier with no problems?

So then i made sure the riser cable was pushed home into the motherboard (which it was) and i also curved the riser cable and bent it about......low and behold everything is now ok....turned black ops 3 up full again and smooth as glass.

So maybe its due to either being kinked or maybe needs to be situated further away from the gpu pcb?

Has anyone done a fraps test with and without the riser cable.....i would try but my GPU wont fit on the mobo as it fouls the tubing going to the CPU.

It would be interesting to know if we were losing any frames due to this cable......keeping up with the latest graphics cards can mean the difference between 20/30 fps for the latest and greatest cards compared to the last generation of cards.....and if we are losing a significant amount of fps due to this cable it's a bit of a rip when ive just spent £425.00 not long ago on a new graphics card only to have the same or even less fps than my old graphics card. mad.gif

The quality of the original riser cable is the worst i've ever seen, i'm sorry. 

i fixed it like ya mother, with aluminium band. Remove the original isolation, in germany you can buy the Gerband isolation. It is very strong and has a good quality. Additionally i used a plastic film above the aluminium band in carbon look.

Now it works a lot better. No more black screens with a Fury X videocard.

post-100347-0-25623800-1459839762_thumb.jpg

post-100347-0-64261200-1459839765_thumb.jpg

post-100347-0-90040400-1459839768_thumb.jpg

Mike - I received the new cable and finally had a chance to try it out this weekend...this build has been very slow because of my insane hours at work. It works perfectly! I was a little worried when you posted that it was shorter - you can see from my pics that mine is set up differently than any other I've seen. I lowered the Video card bracket to allow one card horizontal and the other vertical. The card also has to be in the outside position on the bracket in order to clear the "back panel" bracket so length was a concern, but it spans the distance just right. I have a few more goodies to add and I'll post a proper project summary with lots of pics.

Thank you Mike, ya done good!

edit: I just realized, that one photo with the acrylic in place shows the two cards both horizontal which I had to do while waiting for the new cable...so glad the new one worked!

IMG_7408.JPG

IMG_7425z.JPGIMG_7462.JPGIMG_7393.JPG

I just sent a request... I have had one in the box DOA in December of last year... Replace that way of cross ship.... Now that one stopped working. All I did was swap out GPU from a EVGA Classified 770 to a EVGA 970 SSC and now it won't work for either card... Had to re-loop my system and remove the riser completely... I have been buying Thermaltake Cases all my life... Never bought any other case name but Thermaltake and with this issue I am very disappointing...... Now may be searching other options with different cases all together....

Update:

Two more cables, one from Amazon & one replaced by TK. Both work unless the bend gets too tight at either end, the female or male ends of the riser cable. The riser cable should be longer like the original one that was packed taco style at 8 3/4". The replacement cables offered by Amazon or TK are not long enough if one is trying to utilize more than one GPU & provide the proper bend radius of the male cable to the MB PCIe slot or female PCIe adapter bottom end of the cable.

Reason:

The riser cables should be 8 3/4" or longer so it is able to provide enough distance so a nice curved bend at the base of the PCIe connector & where the cable fits into the PCIe slot on the mainboard are possible.

Testing:

Different bends, curved, tight while trying to get the largest bend on the cabled end of the PCIe slot & PCIe slot located on the mainboard.

Findings:

If there is minimal bend on the cable where it is connected to the PCIe slot my computer will not boot. If I produce a nice bend relieving stress upon the contacts that connect to the PCIe cable & slot I can boot into windows, but not for long as opening a browser or word document will black out the screen. The more bend the longer I am able to stay working in windows opening programs.

Conclusion:

Since I am working with two cables of different lengths, sizes 8 3/4" original cable & the 7 3/4"  from Amazon & TK I am unable to get the proper less constrictive bends to utilize the GPU mounting plate. I would like to be able to use the GPU mount plate since my GPUs have rather large heatsinks, three fans & produce very noticeable GPU mounted droop.

Solution:

Buy 3M expensive riser cables or TK provides it's customers that are using more than one GPU with the option of purchasing a non taco cable that is 8 3/4" or longer. The cables TK sells on Amazon & on there website are not long enough for users of more than one GPU.

Please chime in if you are a user of the P5 & are using more than one GPU and utilizing the GPU plate with riser cables.

These finding have not been approved by the FDA, FCC, NSA, NASA, AMA, IAEA, ISIS, EPA, CIA, FBI, Kenneth Copeland, Joel Osteen, Ken Ham or Marianas Web.

::*)

Email Sent,

I have experienced a LOT of frustrations with this....... Thought It was video card, Thought it was Windows 10, I tried all Nvidia drivers, went back to a 760GTX, even rolled back to Windows 8.1 same issue, Finally I mounted cards directly into M/B, and both Cards are working Fine!  So I determined a Defective Riser card......Probably because it was folded 180 degrees when I opened the box for the first Time.

Riser20Cable20Issue202_zps3viqtxk3.jpg

It has to do with the bend radius at the end of the cables. My Taco cable works fine when there are no tight bends at either the pcie male or female end of the cable. Also the cables are not long enough to have the proper bend radius to utilize the GPU mount plate. Funny how Thermaltake went with the same cable design but shorter, doh!

It has to do with the bend radius at the end of the cables. My Taco cable works fine when there are no tight bends at either the pcie male or female end of the cable. Also the cables are not long enough to have the proper bend radius to utilize the GPU mount plate. Funny how Thermaltake went with the same cable design but shorter, doh!

The shorter cable is part of how we resolved the concerns users where having.

We also tested the new design with the Core P5 in mulit-GPU for fitment prior to releasing it, it should be able to reach the outter card slot without an issue.

I have seen a few I have worked with personally do this and the new design is working for 99% of the people I have been talking to.

If you want to do another RMA and send you out another new cable, I can, just email me.

No need to keep RMAing good cables that work fine unless there is a stressful bend put on the cable after being mounted onto the GPU plate. I have spent hours testing with four different ribbon cables & found they will not work in a multi gpu configuration at the shorter length.

Hi broken_pixel, 

I am not too sure on what may be the cause of your problem, but to physic and electronic, the longer the cable is, it will provide more resistance to the current, which mean you will most likely to get more deficiency to longer cables.

By the way:

We have tested our riser cable with our new cable under  SLI configuration, using GAX99-Gaming 5P with dual GTX TITAN

Here is the 3Dmark figures:

when plugged GPU directly on the board: H48107

when using a riser cable we offered: H46637~H48032

below are the proven pictures when we tested it

post-49-0-12074600-1460692463_thumb.jpg

post-49-0-23078700-1460692473_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have two questions about these new riser cables.

1) What issues would I be seeing with the originals? I received my case in November 2015 and I think I got the old cables (folded taco style). I experience display driver crashes maybe once a day, but the card works normally otherwise. Could this be the cable or can I blame Windows 10 safely?

2) I want to add a 2nd card onto the riser / whatever it's called where the cards are facing outwards towards me, so I'll need another cable and another one of those metal attachments that connects the cable to the horizontal expansion slots. If I buy one of the new cables, will it come with the metal piece? Looking at the package it looks to be just the cable.

Bonus 3rd question: Amazon is out of stock. What gives? (also, $30? wow)

Thanks, TT staff!