Welcome to Tt Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Note:
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your registration process, or if you have not received a confirmation mail, please drop an e-mail to ttcommunity@thermaltake.com with your registered username/e-mail. We will sort out your request as soon as possible, sorry for any inconvenience

Photo

**ATTN Users with Thermaltake Riser Cables**

- - - - - Core P5 Riser Cable PCIE

• Please log in to reply
238 replies to this topic

Mingles

Mingles

Beginner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Thank #### for this thread!

I've been up super late for almost a week trying to figure out #### is going on with my brand new build. I reckon I tried EVERY possibility possible (except for plugging the GPU directly into motherboard) and had the same issue every #### time. I changed the PCIE Mode on slot 1 to GEN 2.0 and it worked for a day... which I was pretty happy about but not 100% satisfied.

Thanks to everyone who has raised this issue and recommended the 3M cable as that is the one I have ordered. I have complete confidence this cable will work without any issues.

Now I can finally play GTA V in peace :D

bobthemac

bobthemac

Beginner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I have kept my experience out of the forum for 40 days now but after still being messed around by the unhelpful support I thought it time to share my experience.  

The riser cable that came with my core P5 did work well sort of it would only run at 8x even though it was in a 16x socket and it would also only run at PCI-E Gen 2 this resulted in a terrible user experience having a R9 295x2 it helps to have as much throughput as possible.  Windows works fine although games are super sluggish I then booted my linux install and I was in for a shock there were so many PCI communication errors after two minutes of running my install became unusable turns out the there were basic PCI communications failing despise the user interface displaying this caused a syslog file of nearly 100GB at this point I knew something was wrong but couldn't find a solution. I removed the riser cable and as it happens I had bought a second cable as well so I could connect my capture card I plugged that in and thats when the whole system went weird the screen would just constantly flash on and off and nothing I did could fix that issue then just to test I took my card out having to drain the custom loop and make some more petg pipes for the card to be plugged directly into the motherboard it appears to boot fine displaying the bios but then when you boot windows you get a mostly black screen with some large coloured blocks on it this was with the card directly plunged into the motherboard strange as it worked before and had been working for over a year. Googled the issue turns out to be something to do with memory. I then tried the card in every slot on my Motherboard and the same thing would happen this is all after I used the riser cable. Suspicious I think so. To check that no other damage had been done I had to go out and buy a new graphics card only got one of those cheap 710 nvidia cards plugged it in directly and wow it worked straight away then just to make sure I checked again my R9 295x2 and the same happens with the blocks.

I then embarked on trying to get the issue sorted and this where I found the most unhelpful support team I have ever had to deal with, there have been countless emails back and forward with thermaltake failing to take responsibility and a few other things happened like supposed lost emails and the likes. I then finally got them agree to take the cables and my graphics card after  negotiating and them just saying send it to us not giving me an address and expecting me to pay the £200 - £300 postage costs which they finally agreed to pay by giving me a fedex account number. Now finally the last thing that they are now doing it to keep requesting a new date for delivery it arrived in the city their headquarters are in on the 24th of January and the current delivery date is the 8th of Febuary it's there I can see that it is just sat there why can't they just get off their backsides and let it be delivered and test it then give me my compensation.

katak

katak

Beginner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello All,

I received my P3 last week and really enjoyed the first hour... until black screen during boots... I have replaced all material and at the end, only the riser was remaining !
I have removed this one with a new setup and it works perfectly fine...

I'm working in the industry as you and I have to admit that risk assessment and product management is a disaster here when you see the first RMA !

I already sent a mail last week and I'd like to get a quick feedback since you are not a start-up...

Thanks in advance,

Pascal

Abarth_Driver

Abarth_Driver

Beginner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I'm glad I found this thread. I read about this issue *after* I ordered my P3 Snow Edition case on Amazon.ca. Knowledge is power and I want to thank everyone here for providing their experiences with this and along with Thermaltake for addressing the issue/replacing cables.

I should have my case by next weekend. I will post my results.

Stekske

Stekske

Beginner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I'e received my Core P3 chassis yesterday, the case looks sick.

And then i went sick aswell.

Kicking the wildcard, i really hoped i've received a revised version of the case with the new and improved riser cable.

That isn't the case so it seems, i was crushed to see windows wouldn't boot, let alone even booting my display.

After a few retries it worked, but not without issues, the display driver would fail, artifacts on the screen, rebooting and getting stuck with all kinds of graphical errors.

I've send a mail to you Thermalmike for a replacement, also to the departement in Germany so it maybe speeds up the process. 

If the issues with the revised rise cable still persist.

There should be as option to get the premium cable at a serious discount.

I will see how it goes, so far i got the feeling Thermalmike is trying his best to sort all the issues out.

I have an MSI krait z97 mobo and a 290x sapphire amd

EDIT Core P3 Snow Edition

S

Stekske

Stekske

Beginner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Just got a mail from .com.tw for shipping details.

I will keep you lads updated.

theonehalf

theonehalf

Beginner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Bought a Core P3, it's great except the riser cable, I wish support would get back to me, after more thana  week... >_>

Stekske

Stekske

Beginner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Bought a Core P3, it's great except the riser cable, I wish support would get back to me, after more thana  week... >_>

Let us know (as in everyone) how this issue progresses.

As in the people with the new riser cables, do they keep up after long time usage?

reapz

reapz

Beginner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

It really can depend on the components you are using, your MB and VGA could have an issue where the cable, even a replacement cable may not resolve the issue.

There are other cables on the market, you can welcome to purchase them as the riser cable we include is not a guarantee.

Specs always help when you have a concern like this so we know what you are working with.

Also, please make sure to contact our support for assistance with a replacement. (See 1st post for details)

I have seen and will say this again, several users are working fine, it is just hit or miss.

I have seen personally, GTX 1080's in SLI working fine and giving full performance scores.

I have seen more issues with non-reference GPU's and GPU that have modified PCB from the original NVIDIA spec.

Also, to be honest, I see more problems with AMD than NVIDIA too.

There are other solutions out there if the replacement is not working for you, especially  after multiple replacements.

Contact us and will work with our region teams to help with another replacement.

Hi Mike,

I did take your advice and chose a lian li twin axial pcie riser for a total cost of 112 aud (85 USD). This brought the total of the case to 281 AUD (215 USD), which puts it in another tier of cases. In Australia, You advertise something  works a certain way, it does or your money back. So as much as you say you have no guarantee on a pci-e riser, if its in the supplied kit, it should work as intended or you get a refund, you don't get to say that, Australian Comsumer Law does.

As for working with your teams. The Australian team is lagging behind in customer service, so no.... not after spending $169 AUD on a case am I going to sit on the fence for three weeks waiting for your service department to supply me with a working case. This is not a faulty part, you sold a me a whole case with a faulty part.

I note you've released as twin axial pcie cable lately? If you're original was as good as you said, why release a new one? Once again thermal take has a rep for poor quality ####, I love the case but it cost me more then a enthoo evolve atx and really its not worth 215 usd for a frame and a bit of plexi glass.

doublea

doublea

Beginner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

So I am about done with my latest build in a Core P5 and just found this thread.  It just made me think about the fact that the PCI riser cable was folded in half when I pulled it out the box. Needless to say, I am now extremely concerned about the riser cable.  It seems like even if I don't get boot errors and general buggy behavior from this system, it won't be running at full potential.  Current build is on the Asus X99-AII mobo with an Asus STRIX 1080 OC edition graphics card.

My main question is this, if/when the cable that came with the case goes bad, will the replacement cable now be the old replacement cable or the new premium cable?

Also, has anyone had experience with the premium cables?  I am seriously considering just ordering a new cable before I finish this build.  It's really important to me that this build be rock solid.  It's a Christmas/graduation gift to my son.  Soon he won't be in the house to have dad as his personal IT guy.

Really hope ThermalMike can chime in on this.  Although I see he hasn't been active in this thread since November last year.

The_Blizzard

The_Blizzard

Beginner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I am seriously thinking about not ordering the P5 now. Has the issue been resolved with the P5 Tempered Glass Edition Case? Will it ship with the new cable or the older folded cable?

Stekske

Stekske

Beginner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I am seriously thinking about not ordering the P5 now. Has the issue been resolved with the P5 Tempered Glass Edition Case? Will it ship with the new cable or the older folded cable?

I ordered the P3 snow edition last week and i've got the 'not' folded cable. It was flat straight in the box, don't know if it's the newer revision or not.

I have not seen the differences between the two (picture would be welcome)

Same old same, it did not work. It's in RMA now, they've asked my adress, never heard from them after.

I hope they send me the premium one, it would be the right thing to do.

There is a user on overclock.net forums who received one.

You can read it right here :

http://www.overclock...owners-club/390

theonehalf

theonehalf

Beginner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Let us know (as in everyone) how this issue progresses.

As in the people with the new riser cables, do they keep up after long time usage?

I got an email a few days back asking for my shipping adres. Nothing since. We will see, the one I recieved in the box with me was a non folded one yet it still didn't work. So I hope the one they send me is good....

dansv8

dansv8

Beginner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

half a dozen emails and 3 weeks and no progress yet from TT :(

will keep trying i guess, maybe contact all the support channels.

Stekske

Stekske

Beginner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

half a dozen emails and 3 weeks and no progress yet from TT :(

will keep trying i guess, maybe contact all the support channels.

Same, still no email.

EDIT

f***k it, gonna  buy the riser cable from Amazon. 

Anyone has a link?

doublea

doublea

Beginner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Same, still no email.

EDIT

f***k it, gonna  buy the riser cable from Amazon. 

Anyone has a link?

Have not had any luck finding the new premium cables on Amazon.  Looks like you can buy the 300mm directly from Thermaltake's site here.  For now I'm going to try contacting them through regular support channels as describe by ThermalMike. Let us know if you hear anything from them.  I know I will.

doublea

doublea

Beginner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Have not had any luck finding the new premium cables on Amazon.  Looks like you can buy the 300mm directly from Thermaltake's site here.  For now I'm going to try contacting them through regular support channels as describe by ThermalMike. Let us know if you hear anything from them.  I know I will.

So I just wanted to follow up on my last post with an update.  Read on if you are interested.  TLDR; It took less than 24hours of actual business days to get a response and a tracking number on a new cable.

• I opened up a support request by emailing them at ttsupport@thermaltakeusa.com late Friday.

• Got the automated reply about 90 minutes later.  Email had a link to a page to fill out more specific info.  Filled out the info on Saturday, but didn't have my original receipt to upload on the page.

• Got a reply this morning, Monday, about 11:00am central.  They required actual receipt to process RMA.

• Luckily the local Fry's was able to do a reprint of the invoice for me.  Got this scanned and sent as attachment right about 4:00pm central. I also asked if the replacement cable would be the new premium 300mm model.

• Received a reply 7 minutes later that a new cable will be sent out tomorrow and that I would not need to send the old cable back.  No mention of what the new cable would be.

• Replied to that email asking again if the new cable would be the premium model.  Also offered to pay difference to get premium cable if I could.

• Received two more automated looking emails, one with instructions on returning the other with a tracking number.  No mention of what the cable will be.

When the cable arrives I will update.  I am in the U.S. so maybe that's the difference in my experience compared to the people having issues getting a replacement?

doublea

doublea

Beginner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Double posted.  Whoops.

AGross

AGross

Beginner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

finally i had to request a replacement for the replacement. I hope they send me the new premium wire :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Core P5, Riser Cable, PCIE

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users