Water 3.0 Extreme S Pump RPM

mbushnaq00

I recently bought a Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme S and the installation and CPU temps seems to be fine, but I am concerned about the pump speed.

In the box its written that the speed should be 3000 +- 150 RPM however when I check in the BIOS I can see a maximum speed of 1500 +- 100.

I have a Asus Z87-PLUS motherboard and the fans are connected to the CPU_FAN header and the pump to the CPU_OPT header.

I have tried contacting Thermaltake through their support page but 2 days have passed and no one has replied, so I am reverting to the community forums for answers.

I appreciate if someone can help me out.

• 10 months later...

So any info about it people? I also have this doubt. I read a review of the 3.0 Performer saying it was the same OEM Asetek unit used for the H55. And I have tested both the H55 and H75 and they both run at 1500rpm, an information confirmed by a Corsair rep and one review that was very detailed.

This means the Water 3.0 Performer and Extreme also uses an Asetek pump running at 1500rpm? I have seen other people complaining about the 1500rpm reading. I honestly never saw a pump pole count (pulse) cut the value in half. In general it doubles the value when there are any misreadings. But I might be wrong.

Could someone explain this? Did Thermaltake got the specs wrong?

I appreciate any feedback.

I found this on the FAQ section of Asetek.

The tach signal is rather simplistic. It is designed to count the number of times a motor pole passes a certain point. Most fans use 4-pole motors. When the liquid cooler pump is plugged in, it reports the number of times the pump motors poles pass the same point, but the pump only uses a 2-pole motor. Because the BIOS is expecting a fan, it divides its tach signal count by 4 and only reports half the speed of the pump. Note: ChillControl is aware of this difference and reports the correct pump speed.