Riing fan controllers not responding

Barong02

I've got 6 x 140 Riing fans connected through 2 supplied controllers.  The buttons on the controllers are unresponsive.  They all power on blue.

I had them connected directly through the 2 controllers to 2 chassis fans on the m/b, but thought they might not be getting enough power.  So i've paired them together and connected them using an adapter (a molex and one of the m/b chassis fan connectors).  Still nothing.

I have noticed that the controller lights will switch between low and high (red and blue) only when i unplug and plug the units back in.  I double checked in the bios (i have an ASRock Z170 extreme7+) and they don't respond through changing the fan speeds in there.  However, when i do manually (unplug and re-plug) change them from low to high, the fan speeds appear to be reading correctly in the bios.

I doubt both controllers are bad, but reading online they seem to be plug and play.  What could I possibly be missing?

I've got 6 x 140 Riing fans connected through 2 supplied controllers.  The buttons on the controllers are unresponsive.  They all power on blue.

I had them connected directly through the 2 controllers to 2 chassis fans on the m/b, but thought they might not be getting enough power.  So i've paired them together and connected them using an adapter (a molex and one of the m/b chassis fan connectors).  Still nothing.

I have noticed that the controller lights will switch between low and high (red and blue) only when i unplug and plug the units back in.  I double checked in the bios (i have an ASRock Z170 extreme7+) and they don't respond through changing the fan speeds in there.  However, when i do manually (unplug and re-plug) change them from low to high, the fan speeds appear to be reading correctly in the bios.

I doubt both controllers are bad, but reading online they seem to be plug and play.  What could I possibly be missing?

You should connect to 4-pin PWM MB port AND setup fan power in UEFI to max settings. 

You should connect to 4-pin PWM MB port AND setup fan power in UEFI to max settings. 

I've tried regular, performance and full speed in UEFI, but nothing changed.  The fan speed did not change, only when i unplugged and re-plugged back in.  The bios read the fan speeds fine, but couldn't control them.  The buttons on the fan controllers did nothing as well.  

Am I missing something?  Should i be trying to tamper with the fan voltage?  I thought I would be able to control them like I do with the CPU fan via the speed settings.

A friend suggested i try a isolating the issue.  So i ran only a single fan to the controller powered directly to the PSU via molex and disconnected the pwm connector to the m/b.  Still no luck.  It powered up fine, but the controller didn't do anything.  There's literally nothing else in that loop that could be interfering, but i'm having a hard time believing that both controllers are busted.  Thoughts?

I've tried regular, performance and full speed in UEFI, but nothing changed.  The fan speed did not change, only when i unplugged and re-plugged back in.  The bios read the fan speeds fine, but couldn't control them.  The buttons on the fan controllers did nothing as well.  

Am I missing something?  Should i be trying to tamper with the fan voltage?  I thought I would be able to control them like I do with the CPU fan via the speed settings.

You have to connect to 4-pin case fan socket. 

It looks like this: 

connector_mb_4pin_header.png

Difference is very simple. 

First of all PWM stands for Pulse Width Modulation

It is required to control fans.

3-pin - same thing except you cannot control fans because it doesn't have PW module. 

Check everything and supply with pictures of how you connected everything. 

Even what you set up in UEFI. In that way it would be much clear for everyone to understand your problem. 

Thanks Xoma.  I'm familiar with the difference between a 3 and 4-pin socket.  I originally had the controllers hooked up to 2 chassis pwm connectors on the m/b.  That didn't work, so i figured they weren't getting enough power from the m/b.

I used a phobya (sp?) adapter to connect via a molex for power and still connect to the chassis fan socket on the m/b.  That didn't work either.  I tried disconnecting from the m/b so that only 1 fan and connector were being directly powered from the molex.  This takes the m/b out of the equation altogether and still nothing happened.  I'm thinking it's an issue with the controllers, but i find it hard to believe both are bad.

Thanks Xoma.  I'm familiar with the difference between a 3 and 4-pin socket.  I originally had the controllers hooked up to 2 chassis pwm connectors on the m/b.  That didn't work, so i figured they weren't getting enough power from the m/b.

I used a phobya (sp?) adapter to connect via a molex for power and still connect to the chassis fan socket on the m/b.  That didn't work either.  I tried disconnecting from the m/b so that only 1 fan and connector were being directly powered from the molex.  This takes the m/b out of the equation altogether and still nothing happened.  I'm thinking it's an issue with the controllers, but i find it hard to believe both are bad.

Exactly. Honestly I do not believe that 2 controllers can have defects at the same time.  :D

If you obtained power from Molex --> PSU  and still see this issue, that's more likely your motherboard behave not in the right way.

Try to connect to CPU fan and see how it would work. 

That's why I don't like ASRock, they always messing up with everything. 

Exactly. Honestly I do not believe that 2 controllers can have defects at the same time.  :D

If you obtained power from Molex --> PSU  and still see this issue, that's more likely your motherboard behave not in the right way.

Try to connect to CPU fan and see how it would work. 

That's why I don't like ASRock, they always messing up with everything. 

I was seeing the issue when the controller and fans were ONLY connected to the PSU via molex.  There was no m/b involved, so no chance that's interfering.  

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...