X71 Case - Project Denali

DJ Bill Bass

So I have begun the ascent into the custom water cooling and case realm.  I currently have a junkyard wars type of system that has some good components, however it looks like total crap.

So I am slowly collecting the parts needed to put together what will hopefully be a visually impressive, even if a bit minimalist type of design.

I am in the process of mocking up the system to see how everything will fit and to determine the best position for the rads, pump and res.

What I have so far... I'm probably forgetting something

1- x71 Case

3- 360mm XSPC White radiators

9- Riing 12 RGB fans

1- Bitspower D5 pump with mod kit Chrome

1-Asus Maximus Hero vii motherboard

1-Intel i7 4790k

4-8gb Corsair Vengence DDR3 RAM 32gb total

1- EVGA GTX 1080 FTW

1-EVGA supernova 850 P2 Power supply

1-XSPC photon 270 reservoir

1- crucial 256gb SSD

1-seagate 4tb HDD

20- XSPC 14mm OD hard tubing fittings

MISC XSPC 90 degree rotate type, extensions and a drain fitting

1 small LED kit

various white sleeved cable extensions

I plan on cutting out some of the front panel... the plastic grid behind the faceplate... so it will better show off the RGB fans.

I plan on putting polished aluminum diamond plate on the back wall to mount the res, as well as on the top floor to mount the D5 pump and on the rear plate around the IO shield.  Hopefully this will give a clean but rugged look with a lot of reflections of the LED lights.

I am still undecided if I will be painting the case... I was thinking just going all white. First Im going to get everything mocked up... drill any holes, sand down sharp edges, then I will take it all apart and decide if I paint it.

I have some time because EK has yet to release a full cover water block for the FTW edition of the 1080 and I really want a fully water cooled system.

My goal is to make this thing look as clean as possible with minimal cabling visible and whatever is visible will be sleeved and routed to look good.

I will try to document the progress and show the customization I do to the case along the way.

ImkUxDR.jpg

5O6FrWK.jpg

6HOEuKg.jpg

aTM6yKN.jpg

QNMCaQq.jpg

aJo0pfh.jpg

yfrpEOt.jpg

lnuxqJW.jpg

6Z8HzbW.jpg

uSZqcCt.jpg

Thank you, I've already made some changes to the guts of the system.... I went to MicroCenter last night and bought an Asus Maximus Formula VIII and an i7 6700k  along with some Dominator DDR4 RAM.   I know I wont see a ton of performance increase over the 4790k but I really wanted a more neutral color scheme inside.  Also this has a mofset water block which will look nice added to the loop.  And the built in RGB lighting and header for full control of my lighting within windows is a nice touch.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...