Riing 12 LED RGB Radiator Fan TT Premium Edition - Software not that great

domenic

I just received & installed nine new Riing 12 Premium radiator fans. The controllers are significantly smaller than the older non-premium models. Cable connectors are also smaller so no way to try and use the old fans on the new controllers.

Each box of three comes with a jumper cable to easily daisy chain controllers together. The last one in the chain can either go to an open USB port via a standard micro USB cable or you can use this nifty cable also included that goes directly to a motherboard USB 2 header.

I was happy with everything until I downloaded and fired up the software. It isn't that sophisticated and has a critical bug plus some smaller ones.

• Very basic interface more geared towards a novice rather than someone that is installing radiator fans.
  • RPM slider bar moves past the default lowest setting of 50% but doesn't actually do anything. Confirmed this bug with tech support. No ETA on a fix. Critical bug for me.
  • The only way to select a color is to click on a color wheel. No way to enter an RGB color value.
  • While you can clone the color from one fan to another you can't clone across controllers making it very difficult or impossible to get exactly the same colors on all fans if you have multiple controllers or more than three fans.
  • No way to assign profiles or individual settings to any external triggers like opening an app. The software should at least have command line functionally so you could use even a basic batch file to fire a profile and then load a game. 
  • Would also be nice to be able to set profiles, fan speeds, or colors based on temperatures monitored by the system.
  • The interface isn't that intuitive and confusing. Not that clear how fans are grouped into controllers or how to save or load them from profiles.

Well at least we have a USB connection so even if Thermaltake started over we have the underpinning to control these fans via software. Why don't they just open it up so developers could make their own "fan apps".

Am I the only one on the planet that has started using these new fans?

DOM

Cable connectors are also smaller so no way to try and use the old fans on the new controllers.

I don't suppose you would know if the old fans would work if their wires were soldered to the new digital controller?

Well at least we have a USB connection so even if Thermaltake started over we have the underpinning to control these fans via software. Why don't they just open it up so developers could make their own "fan apps".

Am I the only one on the planet that has started using these new fans?

DOM

Have you tried NZXT's cam app, can that do anything with them (doubtful, I know).  I only just found out about these fans literally a day after I ordered the old ones, grrr, other wise they would be perfect (once the initial software is improved).

Alex

Cable connectors are also smaller so no way to try and use the old fans on the new controllers.

I don't suppose you would know if the old fans would work if their wires were soldered to the new digital controller?

I thought about getting the soldering gun out but I paid to much. Especially since I bought the old ones and installed them a month before these came out. Essentially bought them twice before the computer was even out of dry dock but I couldn't pass up the software control.

SO MUCH potential if they could only give a pro version of the software with these pro fans. Current software was designed for someone that visits Best Buy for computer hardware...

DOM

hmm well that is a little disappointing to hear :(.

Judging from the few shots I had seen of the software I didn't have that high of hopes for the but hopefully they will improve on what they have with community input and i'm sure they'll have that RPM bug fixed shortly, because that is crippling.

I am pretty sad to hear there is no way to sync all of the fans (3+ or more than 1 controller) to a single color. Kind of the hole purpose of these over the standard Riing fans was to easily get more than 3 synced up together.

To confirm: If you have 9 fans (3 controllers), you do not have the ability to change the color of all 9 fans at once? You need to change 3 at a time per each controller?

Unfortunately, If you need to constantly try and get the same color per 3 fans, that may be a deal breaker for me :(

hmm well that is a little disappointing to hear :(.

Judging from the few shots I had seen of the software I didn't have that high of hopes for the but hopefully they will improve on what they have with community input and i'm sure they'll have that RPM bug fixed shortly, because that is crippling.

I am pretty sad to hear there is no way to sync all of the fans (3+ or more than 1 controller) to a single color. Kind of the hole purpose of these over the standard Riing fans was to easily get more than 3 synced up together.

To confirm: If you have 9 fans (3 controllers), you do not have the ability to change the color of all 9 fans at once? You need to change 3 at a time per each controller?

Unfortunately, If you need to constantly try and get the same color per 3 fans, that may be a deal breaker for me :(

Correct you can only sync three at a time. For each group of three the only way to pick a color is to click at the color wheel and hope you get an exact match.

One overall update however. The software seems to "monitor" your overall CPU temps and "automatically" throttles the fan speeds up and down. No way however to control this as I can see.

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed 9x new Riing 12 Premium fans in my case and the experience is lacklustre for a ‘premium’ version. OP nails it.

The main issue for me is that the variable RPM doesn’t seem to kick in until each controller is manually selected in the RGB Software Suite until after the fact.

An example of this is with all 3 controllers set to 100% performance – my system and fans idling around 700 (perfect), I’ll kick start Prime95 to get things nice and warm and bump the CPU duty to 100% - The fans will continue to spin around 700 RPM until I individually select the controller in the software (just selecting, no changes made) at this point I can see the RPM numbers go up (1000-1500RPM), hear the fans spool up and visually witness the fans spinning faster as I select them one by one. The same thing happens in reverse, if I stop Prime95 the fans will stay boosted until I select them (1,2,3) in the Software, winding back down to 700~RPM as I do - Dom is this the same issue you had confirmed?

Current wishlist

•RPM automatically based on current load, not load at the time I click the controller inthe Software (It can get there, I just have to give it a nudge)
•Manual control / Ability to set my own fan curve / RPM based on GPU temp ect
•Colour Sync over multiple controllers

Visually I’m happy, not as much can be said for the practicality at this point however.

Is anyone else seeing the above? Hopefully we can see some updates rolling out soon :)

*Edit - Mobile upload format fix

The new fans are very quiet and look really nice. I have 6 of these on the visible side of a node 804 case.  

Being able to tweak the lighting on each of them is a lot of fun but I am having continuous issues with the software.

I am running 6 of the new fans on 2 controllers. I am wondering if I have something set up wrong or if there are some  issues with the software.

Has anyone been able to get the fans to be seen when you run another fan utility or physical controller,,, and then stay visible and controllable?

I would love to find out I am just doing something wrong.

I have gotten my Asus Gene viii to see the fans but they disappear within fan xpert 3 or SpeedFan in less than an hour usually.

As soon as another fan utlility launches when windows is up the Riing controls stop doing anything. 

The only way I have been able to adjust settings again is by uninstalling and reinstalling the Riing software.

It would be alot easier to accept the limitations of the software if  the fans were controllable outside of the Riing software.

Having the software stop working lowers my confidence that the fans will adjust during load increases so I don't feel comfortable having so many of my fans controlled by the software.

Often  when I am adjusting settings on a fan (once or twice each time I adjust fan settings), suddenly the color adjustment will occur on a different fan than I was changing settings on.

Often the software doesn't seem to be able to handle setting 3 fans for one controller than moving to the other controller.

The settings will want to sync up for each set of 3 fans on each controller.

This makes it hard to set all 6 fans too different colors and save the configuration.

Gday guys. I recently installed 3 x rgb tt riing fans and mine are only lighting up red. And the software doesnt recognise my fans. No rpm no nothing. I have a asus maximus hero viii. I installed them exactly how it says in the manual and i just have no idea whats going on. Any helo would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

NOT HAPPY !!

x6 rgb riing fans, x2 controllers. Both plugged in via the usb mobo header. And powered via molex.

MAIN ISSUES:

# Program will not show any rpm info or allow you to configure the fans after restarting the pc. You must uninstall the program AND remove the config.xml located in you're C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Tt\RIING\RGBFan, Before the program will install and show up with both controllers and rmp info.

# Program fails to launch when windows starts

# Main download link is broken

# PWM controll does not work on multiple controllers. Only on the selected one while program is minimised. 

Small issues:

# Layout is confusing and ####.

# You should be able to have all fans on the screen at once, Not just the 3 per controller.

# Add some more led effects other then just blink

# Perhaps a custom curve for pwm control wouldn't hurt. That's if the sort out the pwm issues.

Summery:

Hard to download, Hard to get going, impossible to keep going, only 3 fans operate normal with pwm WHEN THE SOFTWARE WORKS. I think for $200 worth of fans, It is a little disappointing. I don't understand how the can sell a product that simply does not work. Atleast open it up to 3rd party devs if you wont fix it yourself..

It has been 1 week since the last update 14/9/2016 v1.0.2... Lets hope they are actually fixing these things !

Hi all. New to the forum. I'm trying to download the software (in Chrome) and I get a "failed - no file" error. Tried it Explorer and it takes me to an error page in Chinese. Downloading from here: http://www.thermaltake.com/MICROSITE/Riing12RGBRadiatorFanTTPremiumEdition/support.html...anyone else having this problem?

Here is the download page: http://ttpremium.com/product/premiumrgb/

Gday guys. I recently installed 3 x rgb tt riing fans and mine are only lighting up red. And the software doesnt recognise my fans. No rpm no nothing. I have a asus maximus hero viii. I installed them exactly how it says in the manual and i just have no idea whats going on. Any helo would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Cheers

If you haven't had any luck yet try this.

# Program will not show any rpm info or allow you to configure the fans after restarting the pc. You must uninstall the program AND remove the config.xml located in you're C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Tt\RIING\RGBFan, Before the program will install and show up with both controllers and rmp info.

Also make sure you have the controller plugged onto a usb header on you're mobo

I just installed 9x new Riing 12 Premium fans in my case and the experience is lacklustre for a ‘premium’ version. OP nails it.

The main issue for me is that the variable RPM doesn’t seem to kick in until each controller is manually selected in the RGB Software Suite until after the fact.

An example of this is with all 3 controllers set to 100% performance – my system and fans idling around 700 (perfect), I’ll kick start Prime95 to get things nice and warm and bump the CPU duty to 100% - The fans will continue to spin around 700 RPM until I individually select the controller in the software (just selecting, no changes made) at this point I can see the RPM numbers go up (1000-1500RPM), hear the fans spool up and visually witness the fans spinning faster as I select them one by one. The same thing happens in reverse, if I stop Prime95 the fans will stay boosted until I select them (1,2,3) in the Software, winding back down to 700~RPM as I do - Dom is this the same issue you had confirmed?

Current wishlist

•RPM automatically based on current load, not load at the time I click the controller inthe Software (It can get there, I just have to give it a nudge)

•Manual control / Ability to set my own fan curve / RPM based on GPU temp ect

•Colour Sync over multiple controllers

Visually I’m happy, not as much can be said for the practicality at this point however.

Is anyone else seeing the above? Hopefully we can see some updates rolling out soon :)

*Edit - Mobile upload format fix

Same issues man. Does you're program need reinstalling after windows reboots to see rpm's ?

Nah, not currently, it had some teething issues where it wouldn't detect the RPM's however rebooting corrected that issue. Still dreaming of a functioning PWM feature.

Welcome to the TT Premium experience! As more of these find their way into peoples rig's our voice will get louder...

Amen brother. 

Cheers

Hey Bou87, I have the same problem, I dont seem to find the solution yet. Please let me know if you figured out the solution. 

Thankyou.

Actually, since 1.0.2.... Yes :/

So you do have to uninstall and reinstall to get it to work ?

I now have 3 controllers but just 1 plugged into the 3rd for now because I must drain my watercooling to add the other ones. but with 3 hubs. it play up even worse !

I think because i dont choose to have all 3 fans connected the software is telling me WARNING, and is making it think all hubs are having issues.. 

x7 riing fans soon to be x9. including my thermaltake dps psu.

Waiting for a update . . .

Looks so nice so far. old picture 

post-105175-0-51357000-1475075017_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased a set of the premium Riing 12 RGB fans (actually 2 sets) and installed the fans and controller. 

The controller has the molex power connected and the usb cable is connect to the mother bother to the USB 9 pin heade 

(I tried both USB 1314 and USB 1112). 

Also installed the Software downloaded from the Thermaltake office website. 

I am not able to control or read any stats from the software.

Upon firing up the software, there is an error saying "Riing RGBFan HID" has stopped. 

I am using windows 10 and the motherboard I am using is the ASUS Maximus VIII Formula.

I tried just single controller (yes I did check the dip switch). 

Also I tried plug/unplug the usb cable to the controller and windows seems to detects the change of device configuration; 

so the USB connection (physically) between the controller and the MB appears to be okay.

I am wondering what would be the problem. Please help and let me know if more detail is required. 

Thanks Henry

I purchased a set of the premium Riing 12 RGB fans (actually 2 sets) and installed the fans and controller. 
The controller has the molex power connected and the usb cable is connect to the mother bother to the USB 9 pin heade 
(I tried both USB 1314 and USB 1112). 

Also installed the Software downloaded from the Thermaltake office website. 
I am not able to control or read any stats from the software.

Upon firing up the software, there is an error saying "Riing RGBFan HID" has stopped. 
I am using windows 10 and the motherboard I am using is the ASUS Maximus VIII Formula.
 I tried just single controller (yes I did check the dip switch). 
Also I tried plug/unplug the usb cable to the controller and windows seems to detects the change of device configuration; 
so the USB connection (physically) between the controller and the MB appears to be okay.

I am wondering what would be the problem. Please help and let me know if more detail is required. 

Thanks Henry

Guys, I found solution to this particular problem.

1. remove the config.xml from the installed location.

2. in The installed location of the software, Find the follow 3 exe files: AP.exe, traicon.exe and HID.exe

3. For the 3 .exe files, right click them and go to Properties.

4. Set the compatibility mode to windows 8 all 3 .exe files

6. reboot.

Thermaltake, update your software and at least QA it in the latest OS.

Most of gamers who use your produces runs the latest OS. Please test your software on the OS if you said it supports a

particular OS in the product spec.

OR

OPENSOURCE the #### thing and let people fix it.

BTW, what's that "This is a test license" in the license.txt in the install location?

If you want to ship a product for which the software control is a main selling point (the single most important thing that differentiates this

premium edition from the original); please make sure it is polished and well tested.  Or at least address the problem with frequent updates.

This will hurt your reputation and your brand.

Do not underestimate what software can help a hardware company. It's not like you dont have any software resources as you guys 

are also shipping peripherals like mouse/keyboard etc.

Although personally, I have not use any of your mice / keyboard; but after this experience, I highly doubt your gaming mice/keyboard would

have adequate software to satisfy your customers with variety of OS/software configuration.

Please improve the software quality with more QA at least....

Sincerely,

Henry

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed a new issue.

The program will not idle down the temp therefore the pwm setting will force the fans to run loud when the pc is actually cool. Im not sure why it does this. The old software detected temps perfectly, Just had an issue controlling multiple controllers. That is fixed !.. Just need this small bug fixed up now..

If anyone else is having this issue with the 2.0.1 update please let me know if you have found a solution .. Until the next update