Toughpower 575 and it's list of casualties.

Porg

Hi, new poster here and a Thermaltake PSU owner.
Unfortunately this isn't a positive post, so sorry for the negative start.
Anyway, I've had a toughpower 575W at least five years and it's been powering a Gigabyte EP45-DS3 with 8GB or DDR2 (4 sticks).

To cut a long story short after various freezes, BIOS hiccups and OS errors I've had to accept that it was this PSU which was the cause of it all, thanks to some long winded diagnosing.

I've already lost a memory stick due to error, had it replaced by Corsair only to have it crash the system a week later every time it's connected. Lost an SSD and an HDD due to the 5v being burnt out on the SSD (attached photo) so assume the same happened to the HDD as now that's unrecognisable by any system. This, I believe, was due to a SATA cable fault. Had to reflash the BIOS due to weird character artifacting, hangs occasionally while the heatsinks get very hot. Even if I get a new PSU for it I think the board is far beyond recovery.

Anyway, my main concern was that I couldn't find a UK RMA site. USA/Canada no problem but UK or Europe seem to be well hidden. I've a horrible feeling I'm just past the warranty date but I've got no way to confirm it.

Is there any way I can test this PSU before I chuck it in the bin? Part of me thinks I should just cut my loses and dump it regardless incase it takes out more components, but the other side says maybe it was just a dodgy cable and that I could use it for emergencies.

post-104974-0-37279900-1472318460_thumb.jpg

Hi Porg, i am sorry to hear that.

Can you please provide the series number of your power supply?

so we can help you check the warranty.

It is hard to confirm if the power supply operates abnormally without doing further tests (loading tests).

The output voltages shown on the OCCT might not be accurate because the information is coming from the BIOS, which means the values of the output voltages can be different through electricity meter. 

Thanks for replying, the number is TPX575MPCUK1007000554

Is that a problem of OCCT or of software voltage testers generally?

Would it be a more accurate reading in the BIOS, otherwise I'll see if I can test it with a multimeter.

Hi Porg,

unfortunately the warranty of the power supply is expired on July, 2015.

The output voltage reading would be more accurate with professional equipment.

I would like to recommend you not to test the output voltage by yourself because the damages might be caused by incorrect movement.

However, the power supply can still power up your system so it is really hard to judge if the power supply operates abnormally and burnt your RAM and SSD.

• 2 weeks later...

This is more of an update than anything. Turns out the PSU voltages are stable, I ran Prime 95 for five hours and it remained stable. I'm due to run a 24 hour test with a better cooler but presently it's running normally. Initially I was led to believe it was all the PSU's fault but that doesn't seem to be the case. So it really is a mystery of why I lost all those components but at least the machine's in an operable state.

Thanks for your help on this.