Major issues with Poseidon Z RGB (Cherry Brown) - Lighting/Programming/Windows 10

willeh88

Hi Community!

I've recently bought the ThermalTake Poseidon Z RGB (Cherry Brown) and I had installed the software and set it up perfectly on my Windows 8 Pro machine. I had tested all lighting functions within the Effect Control section of the software (Fully Lighted, Reactive, Arrow Flow, Wave and Ripple) which worked beautifully. Although from what it seems now, after updating to Windows 10, the lighting on the keyboard is either non-existent or seems like it's got a mind of its own.

>> Here's a quick summary of issues:

- There are no longer any proper full colours displaying (Red, Blue, Green, Yellow etc) - it's all very light colours depending on the effect control set
- The programming behind setting a Effect Control function seems to apply, but the lighting is complete screwed. Eg: Certain areas of the keyboard light up, some appear randomly and are also inconsistent. Like stated above, a mind of its own
- The key that disables the Windows key (Button above the keypad - 2 arrows) makes the keyboard light up crazily. The light display outcome is always different. When pressed, a lot of times the light will display around the keypad area

- I had to plug and unplug my keyboard multiple times for it to even detect on the pc
- The second time I had updated the firmware to 36 from 30, the lights aren't even displaying at all when changing Effect Controls. I've manually reset it a few times, still to no avail.

>> Further Testing:

- After testing thoroughly for another 30 minutes, I've managed to somehow not display any colours at all on the keyboard no matter what Effect Control function I select. Resetting it brings the keyboard back to Red, but after choosing an effect, all colours disappear. Also refer to my 'Settings' attachments to see how it looks like.

>> What's been done that didn't resolve the issue:
- Re-installing the software several times, updating firmware etc

- Fn+Esc hardly works, I have to manually click the Refresh button within the software to no avail
- Removing the keyboard device and trying different USB ports

I have a 40 second clip which shows the incorrect colours but is too big to attach. If you require it, please let me know the best way I can display it accordingly.

Thanks.

- Wilfred.

post-81290-0-82324900-1445344609_thumb.jpg

post-81290-0-14923500-1445344612_thumb.jpg

post-81290-0-07846100-1445344622_thumb.jpg

post-81290-0-38701600-1445344632_thumb.jpg

post-81290-0-96586700-1445345278_thumb.jpg

post-81290-0-67812000-1445345281_thumb.jpg

post-81290-0-01992100-1445345284_thumb.jpg

post-81290-0-02337200-1445345286_thumb.jpg

post-81290-0-08669200-1445345288_thumb.jpg

post-81290-0-77549500-1445345664_thumb.jpg

Guest Tt Josh

Hey, glad to know you love the keyboard.

However, before you reset the keyboard back to default, you will need to save the lighting by clicking the SAVE MODE. After you reset the keyboard, you can load it back and your colors will be back to the software :)

Hi Josh,

I would think there's a bigger issue behind all this than it being simply a save/load profile problem? Colours are randomly flickering in various areas, it's evident that there's a bigger problem. Can you advise whether it's highly likely to be a compatibility issue with Windows 10? I would think, plugging in the keyboard would display the default profile (Possibly Profile 1 - Effect Control as Fully Lighted and Red) - But it's definitely doing a wide range of things.

Could you please provide a more detailed explanation to all of this? Reminder, I have a video showing exactly what's happening in one instance if you have an FTP or I can link it via Google Drive link, please advise.

Looking forward to your reply, thanks!

- Wilfred.

Guest Tt Josh

Hi Josh,

I would think there's a bigger issue behind all this than it being simply a save/load profile problem? Colours are randomly flickering in various areas, it's evident that there's a bigger problem. Can you advise whether it's highly likely to be a compatibility issue with Windows 10? I would think, plugging in the keyboard would display the default profile (Possibly Profile 1 - Effect Control as Fully Lighted and Red) - But it's definitely doing a wide range of things.

Could you please provide a more detailed explanation to all of this? Reminder, I have a video showing exactly what's happening in one instance if you have an FTP or I can link it via Google Drive link, please advise.

Looking forward to your reply, thanks!

- Wilfred.

Hey, I'm using Windows 10 too and it works fine from my end. Do you want to try to reinstall the software from our website? Try that and see whether it resolves the problem :)

Click HERE

Hey, I'm using Windows 10 too and it works fine from my end. Do you want to try to reinstall the software from our website? Try that and see whether it resolves the problem :)

Click HERE

Hi Josh,

I'm not sure if you had read my first post entirely but I did actually re-install the software several times.

If you refer to my pictures posted, the colours are definitely not 'Solid' in a couple of images. The others are Solid but are appearing in random areas whilst flickering. Also for the Settings panel, one of my images is displaying what it would seem to be 16-32bit colours with a Chinese character profile under the Base Layer. What's happening here?

Are all these issues known bugs/faults in the software/hardware where this type of lighting problem is expected and can only be fixed by saving/loading profiles + Un-installing/re-installing? I've only had this keyboard for literally 2 days and am experiencing so many issues thus far.

Could you please provide me with more specific details so I can decide whether or not to return this product and look elsewhere?

Thanks.

- Wilfred.

Guest Tt Josh

Hi, as for the colours, did you try to insert the colours numbers instead of choosing the colours from the box?

For example, if you want to have:

bright RED > R=255, G=0, B=0

bright GREEN > R=0, G=255, B=0

bright BLUE > R=0, G=0, B=255

Hi, as for the colours, did you try to insert the colours numbers instead of choosing the colours from the box?

For example, if you want to have:

bright RED > R=255, G=0, B=0

bright GREEN > R=0, G=255, B=0

bright BLUE > R=0, G=0, B=255

Hi Josh,

No I haven't tried that as yet, I will tonight and let you know how I go. But from what I've seen, the program really doesn't seem to be communicating well with the keyboard. 

Any idea why my colour panel screen looks weird with the random chinese character as a Base Layer profile?

Guest Tt Josh

Hi, I noticed you've chose UK as your language when you install the software. As your keyboard is a US LAYOUT and we do have a different layout for UK, therefore, we will need you to uninstall the software and reinstall the software and choose US for the language. ;)

Hi, I noticed you've chose UK as your language when you install the software. As your keyboard is a US LAYOUT and we do have a different layout for UK, therefore, we will need you to uninstall the software and reinstall the software and choose US for the language. ;)

Hi Josh,

Good spot there, I missed the fact that there was an 'English' option as I'm used to seeing English (US) and English (UK) when installing apps.

So I've done the following:

1. Uninstalled the application and removed the ttesports folder from my registry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software)
  2. Installed the app again and put a custom colour in R=0, G=255, B=0 which worked correctly
  3. I've managed to test all other Effect Control functions which seem to work now

My question now is, shortly after the keyboard boots up, I notice that there are a group of keys that flash for a few seconds then continues to move adjacent to the left until it reaches the end of the keyboard. Also after about 30 minutes or so (rough estimate) I notice it does it again. Is this expected? Is it some sort of refresh mechanism? (Note: I had both Fully Lighted and Wave Effect Controls activated) 

Thanks.

try resetting the keyboard again. and if you have video showing that, please show us, because we do not have any issues on that. :)

Hi Josh,

To clarify, when you say reset the keyboard, do you mean restoring it to factory default within the software or unplugging it and plugging it back in?

Where do I upload a video? I had tried to last time but it ending up saying I don't have permission to upload this type of file. It was a .MOV format and also <16MB.

Thanks!

Guest Tt Josh

Reset the keyboard by pressing and holding (Fn+Esc) - NOTE: Make sure you save your lighting modes as it will set all lighting to default

As for the video, you can upload to Youtube and set it to unlisted and send us the link so we can view it ;)

Reset the keyboard by pressing and holding (Fn+Esc) - NOTE: Make sure you save your lighting modes as it will set all lighting to default

As for the video, you can upload to Youtube and set it to unlisted and send us the link so we can view it ;)

Hi Josh,

I've managed to reset the keyboard with Fn+Esc whilst the keyboard is idle as well as during the phase when it's flashing and the interesting thing is, the keyboard continues flashing! Another important note, the flashing cycle occurs every 4 minutes!

Nonetheless, I've posted up 3 videos on Youtube, 2 of which are on Fully Lighted and one with Wave Effect Control.

I'm very keen to know why this is happening and hoping you can resolve the problem, thanks!

1) https://youtu.be/ARupuFZ2rfw

2) https://youtu.be/-kh7rkZr0RA

3) https://youtu.be/GoJ0AFQ4fGg

Guest Tt Josh

Hey, I think you have a faulty keyboard and if you can return it for a replacement that will be great.

Which country are you from? We'll get our local customer support for further assistance.

Hey, I think you have a faulty keyboard and if you can return it for a replacement that will be great.

Which country are you from? We'll get our local customer support for further assistance.

Hi Josh,

I'd definitely have to agree with you as my keyboard has just started to host it's own disco party and no longer communicating with the software, even after loading profiles, re-setting to defaults etc. Unfortunately I've had to switch to my own keyboard as it's giving me headaches and eye spasms :(

I'm based in Australia > Melbourne. I bought this product from a local store called Centrecom (www.centrecom.com.au)

Here's a preview of the disco party:

1) https://youtu.be/ubnSH8WcGks

2) https://youtu.be/Gm5VB8ktoGU

3) https://youtu.be/xeIl2Jy_N-0

Guest Tt Josh

Hi Josh,

I'd definitely have to agree with you as my keyboard has just started to host it's own disco party and no longer communicating with the software, even after loading profiles, re-setting to defaults etc. Unfortunately I've had to switch to my own keyboard as it's giving me headaches and eye spasms :(

I'm based in Australia > Melbourne. I bought this product from a local store called Centrecom (www.centrecom.com.au)

Here's a preview of the disco party:

1) https://youtu.be/ubnSH8WcGks

2) https://youtu.be/Gm5VB8ktoGU

3) https://youtu.be/xeIl2Jy_N-0

Wow, can i have that keyboard?! looks awesome mate! haha

If you have the receipt with you, can you bring it back to Centrecom for a replacement? Call them up to check whether they can provide you a replacement.

If not, contact our local customer support at rma@thermaltake.com.au, we'll have someone to assist you further on the keyboard :)

Wow, can i have that keyboard?! looks awesome mate! haha

If you have the receipt with you, can you bring it back to Centrecom for a replacement? Call them up to check whether they can provide you a replacement.

If not, contact our local customer support at rma@thermaltake.com.au, we'll have someone to assist you further on the keyboard :)

Hi Josh,

I can sell you this limited edition keyboard for the best price, most definitely! haha..

Yes, I've got the receipt with me. I'll handle it with them from here, they've got good customer service.

Thanks for your assistance.

- Wilfred.

Guest Tt Josh

Hi Josh,

I can sell you this limited edition keyboard for the best price, most definitely! haha..

Yes, I've got the receipt with me. I'll handle it with them from here, they've got good customer service.

Thanks for your assistance.

- Wilfred.

Haha fire me a message if you have any questions! :)

• 1 year later...

Hi,

This exact same problem just happened to me. I would always leave it on the rainbow wave setting and one night it just started going completely haywire just like in the videos up above!

For a while I got it to work by keeping it on just standard constant backlight, although I would notice random bursts of the faulty lighting. Now it has gone completely black, and is no longer recognized by my pc. When I plug it into other computers, only the num lock lights up and it gets stuck on one input "ex: inpuuuuuuuuuuuuuu"

Seems like I also recieved a faulty MCU. Will I be able to RMA as well? I purchased this in late 2015.

Additionally, one of the reasons I did not want to RMA was because I have a gaming tournament coming up soon. Now with the keyboard completely unusable, I am in very bad luck. Is there any way of significantly speeding up the process? I am also planning on calling the phone line as soon as the clock hits 9am, but in case I can't get through I thought I would leave this post here. 

Cheers,

~ Lens

Hi,

This exact same problem just happened to me. I would always leave it on the rainbow wave setting and one night it just started going completely haywire just like in the videos up above!

For a while I got it to work by keeping it on just standard constant backlight, although I would notice random bursts of the faulty lighting. Now it has gone completely black, and is no longer recognized by my pc. When I plug it into other computers, only the num lock lights up and it gets stuck on one input "ex: inpuuuuuuuuuuuuuu"

Seems like I also recieved a faulty MCU. Will I be able to RMA as well? I purchased this in late 2015.

Additionally, one of the reasons I did not want to RMA was because I have a gaming tournament coming up soon. Now with the keyboard completely unusable, I am in very bad luck. Is there any way of significantly speeding up the process? I am also planning on calling the phone line as soon as the clock hits 9am, but in case I can't get through I thought I would leave this post here. 

Cheers,

~ Lens

Sorry to hear you experienced the same thing.

I just returned the faulty product and bought another type of keyboard.

• 5 months later...

I'm having a slightly different issue with the software, when I change the colors on the keyboard, say I pick "wave", and the on the right side I select from the rainbow setting to just Red and Blue, and I click apply, nothing happens, it stays as a rainbow effect.

Re-downloading the software does nothing.

I don't see a save button anywhere, only a import and export.

Another issue is that many of the words are cut-off like "patter" and "righ" This is all over the software.

I final issue i've found, is clicking the white part of the rgb color wheel instantly crashes the software, please assist.

Thanks,

Andrew.

Capture.PNG