[Sponsored] (Completed) Project: HoloView

R²MoDs

Hey guys! I'm back with another sponsored project! EVGA was generous enough (as always) to send me some of their awesome hardware. This is another EVGA and Thermaltake sponsored project, and I named it "HoloView". Thermaltake was awesome enough (as always) to send me their View 27 chassis and some of their water cooling components. This will be a quick (hopefully) and simple project but will add a special feature to it (hopefully I could pull it off properly).

A huge shout out to the sponsors! 

ARSlGBIl.jpg

2gW0Wpvl.jpg

Here's some of the components that will go in to this project.

rgXZqzhl.jpg

5Ezp41Rl.jpg

BhWVHZGl.jpg

Zmkqdyll.jpg

KpdhSDFl.jpg

8G53QxAl.jpg

0KnqESvl.jpg

b4oDVX2l.jpg

CeTjnnkl.jpg

d3gpkhEl.jpg

1gRg0fLl.jpg

f8gRZGel.jpg

Yesterday I was able to test fit some components and tear the View 27 down to confirm some measurements and some possible radiator placements. The plan was to rotate the computer case 90 degree so the front panel will be the bottom of the case and the top will be the front panel.

AAzCXhZl.jpg

2Xnn8Axl.jpg

XynfSykl.jpg

dUBsUm2l.jpg

D0L9szol.jpg

Here was my plan, either I will have the 360mm radiator in front and have the 240mm radiator at the bottom or the opposite way around. Originally, I thought I could use the area below the power supply for mounting a 240mm radiator but the power supply that I will be using is a bit long and will have some interference once the power cables are connected. So instead of doing that, I will mount a 140mm fan below the power supply as intake.

MPnsePFl.jpg

MIw9ljUl.jpg

XPVqJb8l.jpg

Now that I have a rough idea of where and what components for water cooling are going to fit in, next will be taking measurements for the custom side panel, cutting out the 140mm fan mount on the back and making the custom front panel for the 240mm radiator. But that will be for the next update. :P

That's it for this first update for the HoloView project. Thank you EVGA and Thermaltake, as always, for giving another opportunity to me for this project! See you in the next one! Ciao! thumbup1.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys!

Update time! And yes, I am still alive! Did some work for the past weeks for the project after finishing up some important commitments. Shall we begin?

Did some more measuring on the view 27 chassis to confirm if the radiators will fit in without having clearances issues, which it had. I tried to fit x2 slim 360mm radiators from Thermaltake, and it looks like the radiator for the front will have one issue. I won't be able to connect the 8 pin power connector for the CPU on the motherboard.

tU2HYD3l.jpg

JJHvYxHl.jpg

5NcEWvcl.jpg

I did not noticed the issue at first so I trimmed the front panel (was the top side of the case before) to fit the 360mm radiator without having any interference issues with the side panel.

4D38Qx1l.jpg

Zp7xb7rl.jpg

OyUphXTl.jpg

After trimming the chassis, I found a scrap acrylic sheet that was laying around the basement for probably 3 years now, I took that to make it as a "front panel template" for mounting the fans on the chassis.

jnax5ZQl.jpg

But then, that was the time when I noticed the issue with the radiator and the 8 pin power connector of the motherboard. I could plug the cable in, but it is going to be TIGHT to the point wherein the connector on the motherboard is being forced down to some scary degree.

Z6zIuSQl.jpg

So instead of forcing the dual slim 360mm radiator, I decided to just use one thick 360mm radiator and just have 3 fans as intake on the front panel.

CvaTYFIl.jpg

After that, I went ahead and draw some random lines and circles as the design for the front panel. And then after that, I went ahead and tried throw an aluminum sheet on my cnc (SO3) just to see if it's going to crap on me. If it did, I will mostly end up making a new design that is not too complicated to do by hand. But my CNC was on a somewhat good mood that day, aaaaaaaand......

epK4k8Fl.jpg

I said "somewhat" on a good mood because........ Sometimes my CNC will decide to not follow the .gcode instructions and just do some random lines around the material that I am cutting. In this case, I was on the 95% before completion of the job, but then the CNC decided to go deeper on the cut instead of following the gcode, aaaaaaaaaaand.....

I ended up having a broken cutting bit and an unfinished job.

aLPYv8al.jpg

So I went ahead and did the cutting the old fashion way..

B7HBXjhl.jpg

DPYoAc3l.jpg

After a few minutes of filing, I ended up with this front panel.

7OX3FD0l.jpg

Grabbed a Coolermaster Jetflo 120mm fan that I had laying around and it on the front panel. I just wanted to see what the cut out will look like once there's an LED fan attached to it.

SGNOn8nl.jpg

Kinda looks cool but I need the MasterFan Pro RGB version. I am hoping that it will become available here before the end of this month.

0m8l2TSl.jpg

uOM8Aoxl.jpg

M9GxhrHl.jpg

The front panel was a bit long, but that was quickly fixed with a jigsaw and a hand file.

9Twfor7l.jpg

After that, I went back to the drawing board (CAD) to try and come up with a mount for the Pump/Reservoir combo that Thermaltake provided. I recently purchased a small 3D printer before the end of last year and threw in my cad design to the 3D printer. I came up with this. I ended up with this kind of mount since the most logical (for me at least) place to put the pump/res combo is on the back side close to the power supply. This way, it'll be much easier to run tubing around.

cm05DSul.jpg

YH1kHVYl.jpg

6sdrk4ul.jpg

YH1kHVYl.jpg

That's all for me for this update. Side panel mount, sliding rods for the side panel, the side panel itself. Hopefully I could get those done for the coming next 2 weeks. See you on the next update! Ciao! default_smile.png

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys! Its time for a little update! Sorry about the lack of updates lately. I've been very busy for the past month between work and this project. But I was quietly making some progress.

First off, since I had access now to a 3D printer (bought a cheap-o printer around December last year), I decided to give it a try and see if I can print with it properly. It's a great printer but you need to have it tuned up very well before you see some awesome results. I tried but again, time is my biggest enemy.

This is going to be the hinges for the half of the side panel. As you can see, unless you have the printer calibrated and leveled properly, you will get this kind of print. But in my head, sanding this part a little will be good enough. I will need to sand it anyway for paint prep.

EJC3bSZl.jpg

8Nn5Wcal.jpg

Then i went ahead and printed some custom feet.

5XQVZ6pl.jpg

g6RJEIkl.jpg

VjclgUZl.jpg

t1doyZJl.jpg

qeOuGD7.jpg

Let's go to the side panels. Original plan for the side panel is the half will be held up by a couple of hinges and the other half will be opened and will slide back and forth with a push of a button using some servo motors. Problem was, I dont have enough room to mount the servo motors. Plus, I was really having some hard time making the servo rotate on a certain degree and count using arduino (I am not smart enough to get them working as I like. :P)

ejrnp1u.jpg

S7ZuC79.jpg

Now that that's all settled and done, time to dismantle the case, change the pop rivets to screws and prep it for some paint.

hSwjcLr.jpg

eFlRu1F.jpg

R6MI8bD.jpg

And while I am at it, I went ahead and tried to do the bending part on the acrylic side panel. First try, I thought it worked even though I am only using a heat gun to get the curved corner. It looks good on this photo, but once I removed the clamps, I noticed that the sheet actually warped! I tried re-heating and straightening it up, didn't work. Since I am using a heat without any reducer (I stepped on it last year and I just destroyed the poor reducer. It had cracked on both side. :P), I figured why not give a DIY acrylic sheet bender a shot?

wWsi9a0.jpg

iiarbxi.jpg

My ghetto DIY sheet bender. A couple of hinges, nichrome wire, some ply wood, aluminium U channel and a couple of screws. 

apHh99q.jpg

Gave it a try again but this time, I didnt do the curve bend and instead I went with some 45 degree angle bends.

Kg7EjeT.jpg

LOp24WX.jpg

And after that, did some final test fit for the panels.

8nF7GCa.jpg

FyixWtA.jpg

vAt74Jw.jpg

After confirming that everything fits in right, I went ahead and dismantled the case again to do the paint prep.

l5ejlzm.jpg

Aaaand away we go to my "paint booth" (car tent).

jxJn4e1.jpg

AIiPgQF.jpg

AqgDFTU.jpg

That's all for me for this update. and for anyone who is reading this log and wondering why the #### the half of the side panel is hollow, well, lemme give you a hint,

jxtJAa1.jpg

If you still have no clue, well, you need to wait for the final photos! Which will be soon. Until then, ciao!! :)

Looks good! Curious how the display works out - will be a good feature.

Also, it's nice to know even sponsored people get to use any free space in the house. Caught #### yesterday for it in mine... I can tell her "Maybe someday I'll hit the big time baby!" :P hahaha

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys! Wew! Its been a while! A long while to be exact since my last update. Things around here, as always, is busy as ####. But I was silently making some progress on this project, and finally! This is going to be the final update for this project! Let's get on to it, shall we?

Since my last update, I started disassembling the power supply and the Pump/Res combo to do some prep for paint. This is actually my first time dismantling a power supply and I was just so freakin afraid that I might screw something up. Fortunately, I didn't. :P

9kFt1C1l.jpg

9oQeMgwl.jpg

YkMh5lzl.jpg

3eVSB7fl.jpg

RlslmXPl.jpg

This will be the other half of the side panel.

CNoYliPl.jpg

NdRZXuSl.jpg

And while I was at it, I dismantled a 15" USB powered monitor. It's an AOC portable monitor.

s38tfYxl.jpg

jEXMlDLl.jpg

G4JO5eal.jpg

I printed out some side clip mounts for the monitor and it will be mounted like this.

s51m3Gfl.jpg

Time to remove some stickers!

iaqJMrRl.jpg

Aaaaand, time for some -5c painting outside!

JFLgyH4l.jpg

9KW5jNhl.jpg

K3gzUe9l.jpg

nuZufjy.jpg

qyjgQPt.jpg

zXG3LD8.jpg

I forgot to take photos of this guy, but this is the waterblock for the GPU.

sc1YHFq.jpg

Time for some test fit!

uFYADuY.jpg

mlX2tLX.jpg

0fNx04T.jpg

cRXbgL4.jpg

5wKBhKx.jpg

ovEVFfJ.jpg

After confirming that everything would fit in, I then went ahead and started to assembly the system. Although I could only find an hour or 2 of extra time, I was able to manage to get everything to fit in.

RLbZ5g4.jpg

ipQxOAh.jpg

hSZdqIh.jpg

After cramming everything in and making a quick power supply shroud, I proceeded to do the hard line loop, did a quick leak test and flushed the loop out.

QCAxTnA.jpg

KKWQWhx.jpg

Time to fill her up!

ZUtwvB8.jpg

tB0EpZn.jpg

Aaaaaaaand....

is3xKsS.jpg

fcx3w3q.jpg

kTPezWv.jpg

Here's the final photos. They're not much since, to be honest, the side panel that I made looks plain. But I made a quick video of how it actually looks and how it works. You'll see it on the end of this post. In the meantime....

luMqGqG.jpg

SZVDABx.jpg

4MguZNp.jpg

y34M1Aa.jpg

Now this is the part that I am excited to see.

System is off.

htgy1T4.jpg

Booting up.

1TA6jVJ.jpg

And logged in.

0SdzVxL.jpg

fzyABLC.jpg

It's really different when you see it in person. A few close up shots of the side panel screen.

q0d7wNC.jpg

pzqpMLr.jpg

hO5qCCf.jpg

PGVhDHN.jpg

s7qoZq9.jpg

And here's the youtube link for the quick video that I made. Pardon all the noise and the quality. I made my YT channel specifically to show the side panel screen. And since I already made one, I might upload videos there of my future project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P542ULzvYdQ&feature=youtu.be

And that's another wrap for me! A huge thank you to the sponsors of this project, EVGA and Thermaltake! This won't be possible without your support! Looking forward again with working with you guys! And for the members here who were able to keep up with the waiting game for my updates, you guys are awesome! Thank you so much! 

See you in my next project! Ciao!!

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...