Poseidon Z keyboard problem - HK distributor refuses warranty

Robin88

Dear Support,

I purchased a Poseidon Z keyboard in 2014 in Hong Kong and lately it has been experiencing problems such as registering two (“2â€) characters when I only pressed the key once (“1â€). This appears to be a hugely common problem after browsing through posts in this forum.

I called the Hong Kong Distributor – Basco – as listed on your global website for warranty service. Their service manager denied me warranty service – he explained:

1. Despite the box of the product  clearly labelling “5 Year Warranty†and the Warranty booklet included also labelling “5 Year Warrantyâ€, he explained that Hong Kong actually runs a different warranty policy. The Hong Kong warranty is described to be 2 years for labor + materials; and an additional 3 years afterwards for material only (excluding labor costs).  He further explains that the modified warranty policy in Hong Kong is displayed in advertisements, in a separate visual display in physical retail stores, and on the official website; and that it was the customer’s responsibility to take notice of such modified policy rules.
  2. However, I checked both the Warranty booklet and the website. It says
    1. “1.2 Thermaltake will provide a free repair service within limited warranty period. The buyer shall pay for the materials and repair if out of the limited warranty period.â€
    2. “Poseidon Z series – 5 years Warrantyâ€

Clearly my product, according to the policies on the website and booklet, are within the limited warranty period and thus a free repair service must be provided.

The distributor offered to charge HKD150 for labor service to fix and/or replace my faulty keyboard only. According to the written warranty policy above, I should be completely covered and should not be required to pay anything.

Can you please investigate this situation and revert to me what course of action you recommend? It appears the Hong Kong distributor is not honouring the printed Warranty policy. I assume I am writing to the global brand owner of TT Thermaltake on this forum. Also I have sent a copy of this email to the following email address info@thermaltake.com

Robin

Dear TT David

Can you give me the HK sales contact person, position, and number to my email address lockecole88@gmail.com?

I have already sent an email to info@ttesports.com as per your advice. However I still have not received a reply from them.
I would like to resolve this issue in a timely manner, proactively from my side. I cannot think of a valid reason why there has been no response for the last 2 business days.

Also, can you also correct my following understanding, if I am wrong?

• Global brand owners (in this case, TT Thermaltake) sells its products, on a wholesale basis, to regional distributors (e.g. Basco).
  • These distributors have geographical exclusivity, receive global support/pay a licensee fee and thus obliged and empowered to provide warranty services.
  • Since distributors are supported by the global brand owner, warranty services and the associated expense incurred are suppose to be reported by the distributors to the brand owner.
  • The distributor are suppose to receive credit or reimbursement for such expenses.

Yet the HK distributor makes the claim that global warranties are not supported locally, as the regional distributor "cannot afford" these expenses and believes it is "unfair" for them to shoulder warranty promises made by their manufacturers/global brand owner. This makes no sense and is contrary to how global warranties are carried out in practice.

Thanks,

Robin

Hi Robin,

We've contacted Basco about this case and here is their response:

"We explainted to him our HK Policy is a little different to taiwan. He already accept to pay $150 service charge for replacement as his Poseidon Z is.over 2 years"

If there is any misunderstand please let us know, thank you.

Like I said in my first post, "The distributor offered to charge HKD150 for labor service to fix and/or replace my faulty keyboard only. According to the written warranty policy above, I should be completely covered and should not be required to pay anything."

The Warranty is 5 years, not 2 years. What does a "product under Warranty" mean to you? That means the user is fully covered for anything defective with the product. So how do you explain that I have to pay when the product is clearly under Warranty and that on the packaging it clearly states that the Warranty is 5 years?? TT Thermaltake is contractually bound to honor my product for 5 years - whatever we discuss on the phone does not change this contractual obligation.

David, your last response have simply repeated what the HK distributor said (I know what he says and acknowledged this already) and you failed to address the underlying issue.

Robin

Hi David,

I haven't received your reply here for the last 4 days. I'd like to know if there any further action/escalation possible on my case. I hope to have a closure on this issue.

Meanwhile, can you enlighten us, which company do you represent and what is your position? For example, do you work for the manufacturer or are you an employee of a country's distributor. It would help me to understand from your perspective and what range of solutions you can offer to us customers providing feedback here on this forum.

Thanks,

Robin