DDCM Desk Project: Unique. Simple. Powerful

DDCustomMods

It’s time for DDCM to start the next project!

So… I present to you, DDCM Desk!  Unique.  Simple.  Powerful. 

We will start by thanking our sponsors that have partnered with us to make this project a reality!

First, we start with ModMyMods.com(MMM), who partnered with DDCM for our last mod, Project: Military Tech.  They have continued their support and I’m very excited that they are coming onboard again.

Second, we welcome a new partner with DDCM, Alphacool!  After hearing about our project and about PMT, they were happy to join MMM in supporting this project.

Third, we have another new partner in InWin.  They will be supplying the Aurora fans and Classic 900W PSU for the build!

I can't believe we've already gained a 4th sponsor!  Nanoxia will be supplying our beast of a desk with their one and only Retro Mechanical Keyboard with the white switches.  I can't wait to feel the typewriter nostalgia again!!  Now it looks like I'm going to have to mod a mouse to match....

Project background:

Inspired after I saw several majestic works of PC art and the need to replace my old desk.  My old desk was clunky, super heavy, and only provided a cabinet with limited airflow for the storage of my modded PC, Night Shark. 

After great PC desks like L3p D3sk by Peter Brands and Project Alternate by DeBlow came into the spotlight, I began to contemplate ways to own such a unique piece of modding mastery.  As I have always been a fan of the non conventional builds, thus became the challenge of making one my own.   Now that my workshop can handle this sized project and I gave away my old desk to a local gamer, the stage is set to begin my own approach to the PC Desk culture.  It has been a long time since I have created something for my personal use and very excited about the prospect of recording/editing content on this new desk.

So kick back relax and enjoy this journey with me as I work to create this unique creation.  Let me know what you think and I’m always open to hear suggestions or other’s experience with similar projects.

Our final renders.  With a possible move in the near future, I will most likely make it a free-standing desk instead.

26 June 2017

Good morning DDCM fans and followers!

Time for another #DDCMdesk update:

Today let’s work with a little wood.  Some might argue my choice of material, but sticking with the theme of being unique, I picked up a sheet of ¾” Radiata Pine Plywood.

First steps began with marking out my first cuts of the pieces.  Hardest part was trying to figure out how much angle I needed to ensure my planned components would fit.  Thankfully, my old, well used components come to my rescue again.

Angled pieces cut out as the starting point to the rest of the build.  Then I moved onto the second cut which is the first angled front window.  By why stop there, after mocking up the cuts we continued to cut the back angle and the underside(5gal for reference).  Next steps, the mid shelf and the bottom piece to measure and cut.

07/03/2017

Once the panels were cut, we needed to get all the miter cuts so that we can continue forward with the brads and glue.  Thank you to the one and only Mod-squito for confirming my technique would work.  Nothing like trying to cut angles with only a skill saw.  Always have a straight edge guide or at least a factory cut edge of a board.

Once all the mitered edges were set up and verified everything joined up the way it should, it was time to start glue and nailing the panels together.  We start with the bottom brace that the back panel will hinge off of.

Then we cut the main window out and got the rest of the panels glued together.  Each join was reinforced with 1 ¼” brads shot with my nailer.

Then we moved on to cut out the middle shelf that the radiators will mount to.  Got it cut and fit nicely with a mitered edge to join with the angled back panel.

Next up, cut out the side window and cut/nail the base plate.

• 1 month later...

08/14/2017

First, I share our current setup…… Be gentle on this poor man.

Second, the last progress of the desk included mounting the mid shelf to the back piece.

Last but not least, we have our first procured part for the desk….. a Seagate Barracuda 2TB drive.  Initially purchased to back up our media/important files before I dare shut down everything and move it to the new house.

Next up, cut out the side window and cut/nail the base plate.  Once we have our workshop set up at the new house.  In the meantime, we are working on getting more parts/sponsorships.

I apologize for the lack of quicker updates, the project is on a slight hiatus as we get settled into our new house and I have been DIY working all over the house.  The wife has kept me busy on the projects so I’ve only managed to get my workshop set up.

But I wanted to drop a quick update to introduce our new sponsor!

That’s right!  InWin has been gracious enough to sponsor DDCM desk project!  They are going to be sending two of their awesome products!

Their Aurora fan kits(which of course will be red LEDs)

And their Classic Series 900W power supply!

I can’t thank them enough and I can’t wait to get the unboxing video done!  Will be posted to our YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCog6RbBUSD_zfNEujIBX2dg

Until our next update on the desk, we will be working on a client mod of a NZXT H440 with a Final Fantasy X theme. :o

Happy Modding all and thanks for sticking with us. :D

• 2 weeks later...

We’ll start off this update with the updated renders.  Made to match the cabinet shape a little better and shortened the length to fit in the new room.  We lost the Sketchup file and had to rebuild from scratch so I apologies if things are a little off.

Next we’ll move onto showing off our legs….. our black IKEA table legs that is.  Black polished metal and adjustable.  Going to work perfectly!

While waiting for some paint to dry on our client’s build, we got some backplates marked out for the desk.  Motherboard, GPU, 2x SSD, PSU bracket

Also we set up a temporary desk as the wife was going to kill me if she had to work on the budget using her Macbook only.  *chuckles*

Finally, we’ll wrap up this update with a picture of our part’s shelf getting full and linking our unboxing from Inwin below.  Thanks for tuning in and having patience as we work through this desk project.

Unboxing Video of InWin goodness!(PSU and Aurora Fan Kits):

https://youtu.be/U_Z91F2SCAM

• 2 weeks later...

How about some DDCM desk PC current state updates?

First our current state of DDCM desk PC, we now have both side windows cut out, the base plate cut and placed, and everything trimmed to fit nicely. Next steps, attach the hinge, cut the desk top, and get ready to start painting!

Our biggest thanks to ModMyMods, Alphacool.com, and In Win USA for helping make this a reality!

For those bored enough... keep reading

Speaking of a hinge.... here's ours in all it's 24" steel glory! Going to need to trim off a couple inches to make it fit right.

Next tool upgrades, my wife was nice enough to pick up some metal Dremel blades and a 18" magnetic strip for more OCD in the dungeon.

But the rest of the DDCM desk PC updates, we first drug the Skilsaw outside and cut out the baseplate. The cut was so perfect and snug I almost don't need to nail it in place.

Then we got straight at plunge cutting the remaining side window hole. Our #DIY skills are improving!

After some small cuts to the backplate and shelf, everything fit nice and snug into its proper place.

Until next time.... Happy Modding!

How about another DDCM desk PC update?  But first I want to say how much I appreciate each one of my fans and those who comment on my work.  My passion is PC modding, but the fuel that ignites my drive is the interaction I get with my fans.  So, again, thank you.

Now enough with the touchy feely stuff and get to the real heart warming stuff!

We marked out the component backplates on some ¼” white acrylic, then grabbed the jigsaw and got straight to cutting.  We cut out the motherboard plate, GPU plate, SSD covers, and the PSU mount.  Of course we had to test placement afterwards.

We then had a super early Christmas by getting not one sponsors packages but 3 sponsors in 2 boxes :D  ModMyMods box contains my Alphacool motherlode as well.  Baby dragon helps us protect our treasures before I take them to the modding dungeon!  Keep an eye out for the unboxing videos on or YouTube channel….. or wait for the next update for the links.

For the unboxing videos I needed a table…. So I figured it was a good time to prep the rest of the desk top.  First we marked our cuts out of my wife’s old craft desk top since it was a good pine. 

After attaching the legs and getting them adjusted was just the natural next step.

And now I present the rough structure of the desk, now we start to get things placed and get the hinged door secured in place before painting.

I hope you have enjoyed this mild update!

Until next time, Happy Modding!

How about another DDCM desk PC update?  We definitely don't deserve it, but the sponsors see something they like.  I only hope that I fulfill this trust I've been given :D

We start out by setting up some ghetto lighting in the dungeon to hopefully improve some of the video quality.  Some drop lights plus LED bulbs add a bit of even lighting…. Kinda.

After which we dug into our first package from Nanoxia!  First thing we did after recording our videos was to update our sad excuse for a table with our new keyboard and the Alphacool Monsta gaming mat from the second unboxing video….. yay!

Unboxing video link: https://youtu.be/Dz9ZjdX7yY4

Then we dug into the big boy!  Our 43lb monster package from #ModMyMods and #Alphacool!  After about 30 minutes of recording, the top of DDCM desk was completely covered with cables, sleeving, wire, and a massive watercooling pile!

Unboxing video link: https://youtu.be/249hbqgDkiY

Once it was all said and done we took our Phobya Energy and got them chilling for our next modding session.

• 3 weeks later...

How about another DDCM desk PC update? 

We start off first by sharing our sexy new mouse, while nothing too impressive it matches our theme very well b/c I mean… dragons!

Old mouse – Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse

New mouse – One-Up Chinese Dragon gaming mouse

Now onto the meat and potatoes of the desk update….

We first focused on the component plate, getting it attached to the cabinet with a stainless steel piano hinge, which of course we first had to cut to size.

Then we scavenged up some L brackets to attach the cabinet to the desk top, getting everything nicely aligned.

Turning our focused to our sexy InWin Classic Gaming 900W PSU, we cleaned up our mounting bracket and got everything aligned.  Such a nice tight fit and it fit nicely with plenty of space to plug in all our modular cables.  Next up, start sleeving the sexy thing.

Next opportunity we had, we got our hands on our watercooling boxes, tearing out fittings, reservoirs and radiators… all of the Alphacool variety.  Out of all the brands I’ve handled in the past, Alphacool just feels so much beefier and durable.

We laid out the component backplates, then set the radiators on the shelf checking space and my measurements…. So far so good.  Then we installed our fittings into the radiators….. only to remember later that we are going to be painting the rads red……. So …. Going to have to take it apart and mask it off.  Going to leave the fittings black.

Finally, we turned our attention to the #Eisbecher reservoir/D5 pump combo of the 250ml variety.  Getting the pumps attached to the bottom with their o-rings in place and positioned so the cabling is close to the back.  Once both pumps were installed, we got to work installing the fittings, going for the top-in configuration.  After all that we had to test the placement of the res combo next to the component backplates.

• 4 weeks later...

200https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jBy4r7

We’ll start of today’s update with our newest parts and tools!  Our first is a package from ModMyMods that included our PCIe riser cable and an Alphacool Eisblock Mod kit in white.  Going to paint the block cover red to match the rest of the build.  Second, the wife surprised me by buying the crimpers I had on my wishlist.  So….. we can start attempting making the custom cables that we need *dance*

Then we move into some more cutting of the desk itself.  But first we needed to print off the radiator templates from MNPCTech.com onto cardstock and get them cut out.  After placing and marking our cuts, we began cutting out the radiator holes.

After the radiator holes were cut, we moved onto cutting the back intake fans at the bottom of our cabinet and the exhaust holes at the top.  Next steps will be to clean up our cuts and cut the mesh for the intake and exhaust.  Then we can start working out final placement and cable runs.

We also went ahead and sleeved our Alphacool Eisbechers reservoir/pump combos.

We first snagged a great deal on a water temp sensor plug and a handful of 120 fan grills.

We immediately jumped at the opportunity to test our InWin Aurora fans in our intake mounting solution.  Just need to order my fan filters from ModMyMods.com and install our rubber silencers.

Then kept the progress going by installing our Eisbecher reservoirs and our NexXxos radiators with their Aurora fans also.  We are starting to do our final test placement and install so we can start to make our custom cables before we paint the desk!

• 2 weeks later...

So, I wish I had a huge update for you guys, but unfortunately I only have one depressing picture for you.  We started packing away our parts for the desk.

For those that haven’t followed us on social media, we are about to embark on a coast to coast move as we move back to our hometown area near Lake Tahoe, NV.  My wife and I have both had parents have medical issues to include her mom having brain surgery.  Because of this we are moving back to be a support structure as they continue to age.  Additionally, our two daughters need to be close to their grandma and grandpas.

So, this build will be on hiatus through January and part of February as our stuff gets shipped to the west coast.  I promise as soon as we set up in the new garage I will be right back on this.  In the meantime, if you find us on social media we will continue to do other things while we transition.

• 2 months later...

I have a couple updates to post, but we’ll start with the first one to say “We are now moved into the new house!!”  One of my first tasks was to reorganize the garage into a workable area for me.  Below is my new dungeon.

IMG_0600.jpg

Then I turned my broken laptop into a HTPC in our bedroom so we can relax before bed with a show.  Look at that cable management.  Second picture is the wires behind the small 21” screen.  The only way it’d be better is if I ran power to behind the screen instead of having the surge protector run up the wall.  After which I built my wife a murphy desk below so she had a place to work and didn’t clutter up my desk project.

IMG_0614.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

It took a week but Spectrum finally came out and hooked up our internet.  Before they showed up I went ahead and mounted the wifi router in the hallway for the best whole house signal.  Last picture is my communication wall with the modem, power strip, and gigabit switch.

IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

Finally I could get down to work and got the wood filler and started filling in the nail holes, gouges, and small cracks in the wood in preparation for sanding later.

IMG_0656.jpg

Next I drilled and tapped the new motherboard tray.

IMG_0659.jpg

Took my R9 290 and tested my fit with my server ATX board next to the Alphacool reservoirs.  In my next post we start pulling out our water cooling gear and more :D

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

Let’s start this update with some great shots of our Alphacool gear.  Sexy watercooling in place so I can start bending tubing soon.

I2dM4P5.jpg?1

iZucGQ5.jpg

bMnBsPr.jpg

We then went onto install our Seagate Barracuda drive in the HDD rack below the radiator shelf.  I can only hope the SATA cable will reach haha

MkgAk91.jpg

Speaking of cables, I first made a cable passthrough plate for the power cables to pass through.  Sexy 3 grommets from ModMyMods.com.

aeF4Pni.jpg

FawX2hc.jpg

I continued on the trek of cables to work on learning crimping and made my first CPU power cable.

VnONIqn.jpg

q7qiCMh.jpg

in7X6Ig.jpg

6rVRbVs.jpg

Let’s get this update started with one of my favorite photos so far.  The Alphacool Flow Meter Square Plexi edition.  That polished plexi just makes my heart flutter.  Should be interesting to see it in action with the red fluid lol.

6GafIvy.jpg

Next was a super daunting task of painting our ASUS Sabertooth 990FX motherboard to get rid off all the green and tan and make it red.  Steps: take it out of Night Shark, tape up everything and slip non sticky tape in all the slots and cover any exposed pins, then paint the crap out of it from every angle but straight above, remove tape and pray it turns on…..

FlgFDQ6.jpg
S99yQng.jpg
b1Q190u.jpg
1x3Oqkv.jpg

Once it was painted and all sexy red and black, we installed our customized Alphacool XPX cpu waterblock.  We painted the brackets red, swapped out the alphacool logo with the red replacement cover.  Looks like it was created specifically for my motherboard…… oh… I guess it was haha

9kKYch8.jpg?1

After the motherboard was sorted out, we turned our attention to our AMD Radeon R9 290.  After stripping it bare of the turbo jet cooler, we installed our Alphacool block and backplate.  To mount it to the backplate, we drilled and tapped 6/32 into the backplate and put motherboard standoffs on.  Then screwed the motherboard screws in from the back, securely holding our mounting plate in place.

VEtUrqi.jpg
5OjfpxO.jpg?1
YWpTxm7.jpg
DauZ9FF.jpg

If you enjoyed this update, just wait for the next one! It will include pictures of our first time bending acrylic tubing!!!  It was a learning experience for sure.

So before the watercooling, acrylic bending, madness ensues….. Here’s a quick picture of our SSD mount.

AIZUBas.jpg

Now that’s over with…. Here’s our Alphacool acrylic tubing runs!  I did also record a video on how I cut and bent the acrylic….. But don’t have a computer that has the power to edit/render the video.  So bear with me :)

fVYgTwg.jpg
q2iepw2.jpg
A7vmDAi.jpg
VVSEs6t.jpg
Dd0dxPI.jpg
bzxD9LV.jpg

We left off last time with a completed watercooling loop…. but still had to paint.  So we start off by stripping it down to the bare wood.

5R921tA.jpg?1

While I waited for some wood filler to dry, I went ahead and painted our Alphacool NexXxos radiators, PSU mount bracket, GSkill RAM heatspreaders, and the fan grills for our rear intake fans.

iusKeVw.jpg
k8UMX5h.jpg
8fDUSoS.jpg

Once the filler was dry, I wasted no time sanding it down.  Then just testing a theory I checked the fit of the InWin RGB LED strips and how I was going to run the cable.  After the cable test, I brought the desk inside to be wiped down with a damp cloth.

mXdwvWb.jpg
RgOGaSi.jpg
odAKxq8.jpg

Once it was clean and dry we started painting it black by cutting in the corners and angles first.  Then we broke out the 3” brush and filled in all the big areas.

N17rZOw.jpg
rIkWti5.jpg
Pqf7m4M.jpg

If you’re still reading this far, the next update will be the components installed and the loop set back up and hopefully filled!  Leak testing here I come!

We can start off with a glamour shot of the leak testing we did.

EkqOWaQ.jpg

One of the first things we did while waiting for all the paint to dry was to finish making our custom sleeved extensions.

AjAfuCh.jpg
AjAfuCh.jpg
WRVAsEn.jpg

Once the paint dried we immediately set to installing our components and figuring out our cable paths.

fTXUQ3v.jpg
HHy1ueo.jpg

Then we prepped and installed our painted NexXxos 360 radiators which followed with fans, tubes and everything else.  Once it was all connected we started our leak testing.

jOQkwtO.jpg
dPwo4j0.jpg

First we will start with the winner of my contest.  I wanted people on social media to design a dragon and flames to paint on the top of the desk before I seal it up.  Here’s the winner.  I loved the shape of the dragon head.  The flames will need a little cleaning.

GxjDNmV.jpg

Ok, back to the desk.  We took this picture while it was night time and during the leak test.

Z9cvQTh.jpg?1

The next morning we went to paint the top of the desk…. And ended up spending a few hours cleaning the carpet instead DOH!

lPuArOg.jpg

Several hours later I recruited my daughters help and we drained the desk of all the distilled water and filled it with the Mayhems Red Aurora liquid.

YrAqC7x.jpg
KYQYrc5.jpg

After the paint dried on the desk top, I attached it in place and took this teaser picture for social media.  

TOw0Fzw.jpg?1

After all the cable management was done and I verified it was working great, I took this semi finished picture.  All that’s left is to install the windows and to get the vinyl lettering in place.  And YES, I know it’s a small old monitor for this massive project. haha.

95NLzIb.jpg
KTchOFJ.jpg

I hope everyone has enjoyed this so far and I will update with final pictures on a real camera once I get to the last couple things done.  And hopefully by then I’ll have a better monitor too.

• 2 months later...

200 https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jBy4r7

So we needed a shot of the desk to put on our new business cards, so….. I figured I wanted to share with you.  We are also in talks to do a hardware upgrade if the vendor approves it.

ux1cP7Z.jpg
ujm3pHK.jpg
WzGTSwZ.jpg

Of course, none of this would’ve been possible without the amazing sponsors!

3zqeYBX.jpg

The business cards came out pretty snazzy too!

WpSS6zh.jpg