Jump to content
nosnibor1986

Riing plus software not working after sleep mode

Recommended Posts

Hello All,

 Riing plus software version: 1.1.4, Motherboard : Asus Strix z370-I gaming

 I'm having an issue with the riing plus software not working after the computer wakes from sleep. It works perfectly fine on initial boot, can change fan speed, rgb lighting, the whole works.

But when it wakes from sleep it wont change. I can open the program, push the buttons and have things change in the software, but nothing actually happens with the fans. Say switching from silent to performance mode. Nothing happens. Or switching light colors, nothing happens. If I close the software completely, and reopen, everything works again no problems. So it's not THAT big of a deal, I can get it to work again, but kind of annoying always having to close and reopen it again everytime it wakes back up. Just wondering if anyone else has the same problem.

One thing of note, the motherboard only has one usb header, and i also have an nzxt rgb aio, so i had to buy a usb splitter to use both, so it's sharing a port with that. However the aio software responds just fine after sleep, so i don't think that would have any bearing, but just putting it out there in case that could be it. (which if it is, oh well i'm stuck with it since i need both)

Any ideas?? Just faulty software? Thanks y'all

sidenote: the 1.1.4 version fixes the not starting minimized issue.... YAY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

You need to adjust the initialization for the USB headers on your motherboard. It is not the software from what I have seen, it is when the system sleeps, things get turned off.

When the system resumes, the initialization is delayed and missed. Changing the behavior of these ports in the bios should resolve.

You can confirm this is the cause by unplugging the power from the hub after you resume and reconnect the power to the controller it should detect and be back to normal.

You might have to change your sleep state as well, check and see.

 

We are not leaving this alone either as it is really only with new MB chipsets that have new low power sleeps and stuff.

We are checking to see if we can do anything to help with the delayed initialize with a software update.


IF you can, please check the power on/off part that I mentioned and let me know if it works or not.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll try it out when i get home.  One thing though, If it's the usb port not repowering then shouldn't the software for the nzxt aio not be able to change anything either? They're both plugged into the same header and the aio software works fine after reboot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

If you are using 2 separate products off 1 USB header, I really dont know what to say, any issue could happen when splitting smart devices like these.

Have you tried connecting the Riing Plus controller only? Same issue?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tried with just the one... same problem. tried unplugging the kraken aio. and rebooting with just the thermaltake plugged in. same problem. switched the header plugs of the two, same problem, changed the usb sleep suspend options in power options, same. disallowed the computer to shut off usb's in device manager, same. i unplugged the fan controller like you said and replugged it in while active. it did have the software respond. though when i put it back in sleep after that it blue screened... Checked the bios and couldn't find anything to change the usb behavior besides just shutting them off entirely. so.... ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been having a very similar issue since August 2017. After sleeping the Thermaltake software becomes frozen. I have to close and re-open the program to get functionality back. The system boots faster than the USB can initialize. I have disabled ever power saving feature with no success. This is on a Gigabyte gaming 9 z270 board. My MVME is so fast I just shutdown and forgo sleeping. My boot up is as fast as sleep. If this problem ever gets solved I would be amazed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HoofnDonkey said:

I have been having a very similar issue since August 2017. After sleeping the Thermaltake software becomes frozen. I have to close and re-open the program to get functionality back. The system boots faster than the USB can initialize. I have disabled ever power saving feature with no success. This is on a Gigabyte gaming 9 z270 board. My MVME is so fast I just shutdown and forgo sleeping. My boot up is as fast as sleep. If this problem ever gets solved I would be amazed.

Hi,

We have seen this issue with the newer chipset boards and have a solution for the delayed 5V power initialization.

Basically a replacement power cable that includes a resistor to override the delay.

Contact our support for more details, we are going forward with this new cable, just takes time to cycle it into the market.

https://thermaltakeusa.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Call us or email so we can support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I opened a ticket to be told the cable is not available yet and I should buy the new CL-O015-PL00BL-A TT Sync Controller.  I can solve 2 of the problems with your software/hardware for only $30 (not detecting one of the temps correctly) and not working after sleep mode.

Want things to work as advertised?  Buy an upgrade or wait some undetermined amount of time for us to fix our problems!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am using 2 controllers, 1 for 1 exhaust fan, and 1 for 3 front intake fans, I had the same issue, I found that on Asus motherboards (mine is the ROG STRIX B350-F) you have to turn off the "extreme quiet" button in Fan Expert 4, inside the Dual Intelligent Processors 5 app. Once the mobo sees that the processor is cool, it will throttle the power to the fans and put them in "Extreme Quiet Mode", this is only an issue after a sleep cycle, because the computer is cold, so I would have to open my case, cycle to my preset for the controller on Exhaust fan header 1, and it will hold, did not do it on fan header 2 with my 3 intake fans, but I just tested this, and I put the computer to sleep and all my RGB came back up when I came out of sleep mode. I will update if it still works after a long sleep cycle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Vaelore1 said:

I am using 2 controllers, 1 for 1 exhaust fan, and 1 for 3 front intake fans, I had the same issue, I found that on Asus motherboards (mine is the ROG STRIX B350-F) you have to turn off the "extreme quiet" button in Fan Expert 4, inside the Dual Intelligent Processors 5 app. Once the mobo sees that the processor is cool, it will throttle the power to the fans and put them in "Extreme Quiet Mode", this is only an issue after a sleep cycle, because the computer is cold, so I would have to open my case, cycle to my preset for the controller on Exhaust fan header 1, and it will hold, did not do it on fan header 2 with my 3 intake fans, but I just tested this, and I put the computer to sleep and all my RGB came back up when I came out of sleep mode. I will update if it still works after a long sleep cycle.

I also have a z370-I. Don't think dual intelligent processors is even supported for this board so that fix won't work here for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to adjust your sleep modes if you want the lights to come back after sleep states, its the way it is.

When power is removed and then brought back you have to re-sync just like anything else with this kind of hardware.

These are not simple LED fans, you are also dealing with addressable functions here which take communication and signal from the MB to function.

When you remove that from going into a sleep feature, you cant expect it to just come back, it does not work that way for electrical.

I would like for MB to have better options to support new features, they so caught up in reducing the power to as little as possible.

MY Suggestion, turn your system off when you are not using it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2018 at 4:40 PM, usr2284a said:

I opened a ticket to be told the cable is not available yet and I should buy the new CL-O015-PL00BL-A TT Sync Controller.  I can solve 2 of the problems with your software/hardware for only $30 (not detecting one of the temps correctly) and not working after sleep mode.

Want things to work as advertised?  Buy an upgrade or wait some undetermined amount of time for us to fix our problems!

 

btw I bought this controller just today and tried it out. It definitely syncs my Riing plus up to asus aura, however the entire lighting scheme flickers. I've tried everything and it keeps doing it with this controller. it's like the lighting just skips ahead for a second then goes back to normal speed. I'm guessing this is some bug. I'd like to know if anyone else tried this controller and had this issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what constitutes as a "newer" motherboard, but I have a motherboard from 2013; ASRock Z87 Fatal1ty Pro. I too experience the issue with having to restart the software after coming out of sleep mode.

Though with my whole computer on SSD, having to shut down and reboot every time isn't really a hassle. Plus it seems every few months Windows 10 does updates that mess something up and prevent my computer from staying in sleep mode, anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, freewheelin76 said:

btw I bought this controller just today and tried it out. It definitely syncs my Riing plus up to asus aura, however the entire lighting scheme flickers. I've tried everything and it keeps doing it with this controller. it's like the lighting just skips ahead for a second then goes back to normal speed. I'm guessing this is some bug. I'd like to know if anyone else tried this controller and had this issue. 

Hi,

What version of the ASUS Aura are you using? They have a couple different versions, make sure you get the one for your motherboard specifically and that you have the latest version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ThermalMike said:

Hi,

What version of the ASUS Aura are you using? They have a couple different versions, make sure you get the one for your motherboard specifically and that you have the latest version.

You responded in my thread about this. It was PWM pulses causing the LED flicker. Changed to DC in bios from PWM. No more flicker. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×