TT sync controller with aura sync

freewheelin76

I bought the tt sync controller recently. I took out my other riing plus hub and installed my cooler and fans into the sync controller and hooked it up to my board on the rgb addressable header etc. My issue is the controller seems to "work" but the lighting scheems seems to flicker like it jumps ahead in the color cycling quickly and then goes back to normal speed. I switched to different leads etc and same thing. Anyone else ever have this issue? 

z370-I MB

4 hours ago, ThermalMike said:

Make sure you uninstall the Riing Plus software.

Does this "jumping" happen on all modes or only specific ones?

thanks for any info.

Mike,

I figured it out. It's PWM in the bios. The pulsing is causing the leds to flicker. When I swap to DC on my fans it seems to fix it. I also swapped my controller power to the CPU fan out vs case fan out. Not sure if that did anything. Pump is on AIO. 

It's syncing now with no flicker. I do have a question though. It seems asus AURA is treating my entire controller as 1 LED. So many of the affects in asus aura put the same color on all of the leds plugged into the sync controller. Is this intentional or am I still supposed to be able to independently control the effects for each of the rad fans and the AIO led? When it's on rainbow it seems to cycle through everything but the other effects like wave won't work as the controller shows up as ADD_header_1 in aura and you can only choose 1 color for many of these effects. 

I might go back to the old controller with TT software if this is the case.

On 3/1/2018 at 6:55 PM, freewheelin76 said:

Mike,

I figured it out. It's PWM in the bios. The pulsing is causing the leds to flicker. When I swap to DC on my fans it seems to fix it. I also swapped my controller power to the CPU fan out vs case fan out. Not sure if that did anything. Pump is on AIO. 

It's syncing now with no flicker. I do have a question though. It seems asus AURA is treating my entire controller as 1 LED. So many of the affects in asus aura put the same color on all of the leds plugged into the sync controller. Is this intentional or am I still supposed to be able to independently control the effects for each of the rad fans and the AIO led? When it's on rainbow it seems to cycle through everything but the other effects like wave won't work as the controller shows up as ADD_header_1 in aura and you can only choose 1 color for many of these effects. 

I might go back to the old controller with TT software if this is the case.

Hi,

The PWM and LED signals are different, they go through 2 separate channels, so I do not think that is causing it. You are working more with ASUS on this type as the controller we provide is basically a hub. Check for updates from ASUS, I have been working with them on this since we started it.

• 4 months later...

Might be resurrecting an old thread, but I'm experiencing the exact same thing with a Maximus X Hero.

When fans are set to PWM in the BIOS, there's random flickering and blinking on fan leds, which makes it really annoying. Transitions don't work fluidly either, because of the random blinking.

Change the headers to DC in the BIOS, and then lightning works wonders. A real pain, since switching headers to DC mode turns my PC into a plane about to take off =(

So I have to chose between high noise levels, or annoying lightning.

Any ideas? =( 

Fans are connected to CPU_FAN, CPU_OPT and CHA1_FAN btw.

Oh, and probably worth mentioning, I think there might be something weird with PWM signals, since I had one of the controller channels connected to my GPU (just a regular PWM header, since one of the rads is there for GPU purposes) and that had the exact same effect. 

At the beginning I blamed the GPU header for whatever reason, and moved on using a different approach, but seeing this makes me wonder, why do I get distorted lightning whenever I input a PWM signal to the TT Sync controller, from whatever source, be it MoBo or GPU?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, 

Do you have any addressable LED strips that you could directly connect the MB header?

Try to bypass the controller and see if the LED issue is doing the same thing, if so call ASUS. 

If you dont have one or whatever, you can always swap it out under warranty if you think it might be defective.

If you set the LED mode in the ASUS Aurora software to like simple solid color option, do you still get this flicker?

PWM control should not effect the LED control, another thing to also try is swap to the TT controller that came with and see if everything is good there.  

Do you have any addressable LED strips that you could directly connect the MB header?

Yes, and they work with no issues.

Try to bypass the controller and see if the LED issue is doing the same thing, if so call ASUS. 

Nope, both 12V RGB headers and addr 5V RGB header are working fine with any device other than the controller =(

If you set the LED mode in the ASUS Aurora software to like simple solid color option, do you still get this flicker?

Yes, all testing has been done with static mode lightning, and that's where the flicker is more evident.

PWM control should not effect the LED control, another thing to also try is swap to the TT controller that came with and see if everything is good there.  

Included controllers with the fan packs are working fine, if that's what you mean. My only problem comes with the Sync controller when fan are set to PWM mode in the BIOS. I understand lightning and speed go through different channels, but in this case something weird os obviously happening =( Funny thing is, as long as I have ONE “fan speed” channel in PWM mode, ALL channels lightning fails. It's not a per-channel issue. As long as the TT Sync controller gets a single PWM signal on any channel, from ANY source (I have tried many, not just the MoBo), ALL channels lightning becomes a mess.

If you dont have one or whatever, you can always swap it out under warranty if you think it might be defective.

I guess that's not managed directly by thermaltake, right? =P Because I couldn't find any local seller (in Spain) and ended up buying it from ebay (overseas) from a provider its name I can't even remember T_T (which is gonna be a real pain to manage =P).

Ok, thanks anyway... I guess I'll switch to the regular fans controller included in my packs and go with static lightning or something.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem but with only my 140 mm Riing Premium Fans.  My 120 mm Riing premium fans work fine.  What I observed was that it only happens when the fans are running at low speeds.  My system is water cooled so it runs at a pretty low temp.  In the AI Suite Fan tuning I set the minimum speed to 200 rpm and the flicker on the 140 mm fans stopped.  

However my system also treats all of the fans as one block instead of individually with respect to RGB color changes.  Any thoughts on this?  

Hi RDT,

My experiences so far: The problem is kind of “fixed” for me. After having the fans running for hours suffering the blinking effect, it suddenly stabilized. At first I kept getting it after boots for short times, but nowadays they work fine from the start. Dunno if that will be the same case for you, but just having the lights running for hours fixed it for me.

About the system treating the fans as a single block, the same happens to me when I configure the system as rainbow in the AURA app. When that happens I just hit the default button, or enable and disable aura from BIOS, and it works fine again.

I know, messy... but works =P

Hope that helps.