Water 3.0 Extreme / Formula VII / ROG Front Base issue.

HappyBuddhaman

Hey guys, I have a Formula VII MB, the Water 3.0 Extreme, and the ROG Front Base.  The Water 3.0 Extreme is plugged into the CPU_FAN pins on the MB, using 120mm Enermax fans.

Everything works fine, mechanically, but everytime I boot from a cold start, I get a POST beep indicating a hardware failure, and the screen says I have a CPU fan error.

The MB and the ROG Front base will not read the RPM speed of the fans, however, the fans run and the CPU stays around the low to mid 30's while idle or doing common things, internet surfing, etc.  CPU temp went up to about 45 / 52 while playing Diablo 3 the other day, nothing seems out of the normal.

Drivers are installed and BIOS is updated.  My only thought right now is to plug the fan connection into the CPU_OPT and see if it can read the rpm from there.

Any thoughts?

Hi HappyBuddahman,

I think the issue you are seeing may be due to the fan RPM speed being a bit too low for the motherboard to register, or the RPM sense pin for the primary referenced fan is not working properly.

Can you try swapping the fans on the 3 way splitter to test this as I have seen this before on same motherboard with some 2 pin 12V fan models.

If you find the fan speed is simply running too low you may need to change the RPM warning RPM level on the motherboard to match the speed the fan is running.

all of that aside I can say it sounds most likely that the RPM sense pin on your fan may not be registering and simply swapping the fans on the 3 way splitter may resolve your issue.

if you look at the 3 headers on the 3 way splitter you will notice that only one of the three fan headers has the 3rd pin in place.... try a different fan on that header with the 3rd pin to see if the issue is resolved.  as this is the RPM sense pin and the motherboard may simpy not be able to see the signal from the fan that is presently on that specific port, or possibly even the RPM sense on that specific fan could be failed.

Let us know if that fixes it for you

Hi there, sorry I misread this as Water 3.0 Ultimate.

the pump speed should read easily, I would recommend plugging the pump header into the CPU Opt header and see if it shows speed in the BIOS.

also have you checked the monitoring section of the BIOS for fan speed as it is connected now?  I am interested to see if it registers any speed at all from the pump.

also is the CPU temp normal and is the system stable with this issue?

Figured this one out.  I think there is a conflict with the  Water 3.0 software and the software on the ASUS Formula VII MB.  The Water 3.0 software over rides the fan controller on the MB.  Everything is now working perfectly, I just control the CPU fans via the Thermnaltake software, and the others via the MB.

Ran Prime95 for a little over an hour the other day, CPU maxed out at 75, and even then didn't stay there long.  :D

Thanks!

Figured this one out.  I think there is a conflict with the  Water 3.0 software and the software on the ASUS Formula VII MB.  The Water 3.0 software over rides the fan controller on the MB.  Everything is now working perfectly, I just control the CPU fans via the Thermnaltake software, and the others via the MB.

Ran Prime95 for a little over an hour the other day, CPU maxed out at 75, and even then didn't stay there long.  :D

Thanks!

Awesome and thanks for the info!

sounds like maybe both were trying to communicate via SMBus possible causing conflict.

Im glad its working well for you now!