Welcome to Tt Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Note:
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your registration process, or if you have not received a confirmation mail, please drop an e-mail to ttcommunity@thermaltake.com with your registered username/e-mail. We will sort out your request as soon as possible, sorry for any inconvenience

Photo

How often do you clean your rig?

- - - - - clean rig chassis

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Cleaning, Cleaning, Cleaning! (24 member(s) have cast votes)

How often do you clean your chassis?

1. Everyday!! i'm a clean freak!! (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Every week (3 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. Every 2 weeks (1 votes [4.17%])

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

4. Every month (4 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

5. Every few months (7 votes [29.17%])

Percentage of vote: 29.17%

6. Twice a year (2 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

7. Once a year (6 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

8. NEVER!!! (1 votes [4.17%])

What do you clean your chassis with?

1. Compressed air can (5 votes [20.83%])

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

2. I'm a boss i own a air compressor! (4 votes [16.67%])

3. Vacuum cleaner (5 votes [20.83%])

4. I blow the dust with my mouth (4 votes [16.67%])

5. Dry cloth (1 votes [4.17%])

6. Other (5 votes [20.83%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

Tt Andy

Tt Andy

Tt Staff

• Administrators
  • 489 posts
  • LocationLala land

How often do you clean rig?

• dO_ob, MichaelCync, EkbergDOF and 3 others like this

PC Specs 

PC 1 - (Gaming Rig) Intel core i5 4670k @ 4.7ghz / Powercolor 280x x 3 in Tri-fire / Asrock Extreme6 z87 / G.SKILL ARES 2133MHz 16GB 

PC 2 - (Retired Mining Rig) - AMD Phenom II 965 BE @ 4.2ghz / 5 x Sapphire Tri-X 290 / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 / Corsair Dominator 8GB 1600MHz 

CareFactorOver9000

CareFactorOver9000

Just Getting Started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

What's the worst thing that can happen to a machine with years of dust on it?

Tt Andy

Tt Andy

Tt Staff

• Administrators
  • 489 posts
  • LocationLala land

Well when dust accumulates it has a possibility of blocking fan vents, or if there is enough dust it can insulate your parts which can cause overheating.

But unless the dust contains l amounts of corrosive or conductive material, it wouldn't damage the components directly.

What can happen in some circumstances is the dust mixing with condensation and creating a conductive goo but that usually occurs in below 0 deg C environment.

PC Specs 

PC 1 - (Gaming Rig) Intel core i5 4670k @ 4.7ghz / Powercolor 280x x 3 in Tri-fire / Asrock Extreme6 z87 / G.SKILL ARES 2133MHz 16GB 

PC 2 - (Retired Mining Rig) - AMD Phenom II 965 BE @ 4.2ghz / 5 x Sapphire Tri-X 290 / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 / Corsair Dominator 8GB 1600MHz 

CareFactorOver9000

CareFactorOver9000

Just Getting Started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Thanks, TT Andy
I generally just clean the keyboard and mouse regularly with a small "unused" paint brush and a dust buster.
Found an article a while back saying a guy's keyboard is one of the most bacteria invested places in their home so it's more a hygiene issue than performance.

• Tt Andy likes this

McBludgin

McBludgin

Just Getting Started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

How do you guys clean your rigs without a vaccum??
I tried compressed air but I had to take my rig onto the balcony to spray it because of the dust.
The compressed air really sends the dust everywhere.

Tt Andy

Tt Andy

Tt Staff

• Administrators
  • 489 posts
  • LocationLala land

How do you guys clean your rigs without a vaccum??
I tried compressed air but I had to take my rig onto the balcony to spray it because of the dust.
The compressed air really sends the dust everywhere.

Well i do suggest against using a vacuum cleaner as vacuuming can create a large static build up that could discharge into sensitive components inside your rig.

IMO compressed air is the way to go, but yes its a hassle to take your rig outside but u gotta do what u gotta do right?

PC Specs 

CareFactorOver9000

CareFactorOver9000

Just Getting Started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Just get naked with your case in the shower, spray out the dust with compressed air and then clean yourself and the shower with water.
Wear a mask to stop dust inhalation and maybe some safety glasses/goggles. 

LetsGetIt1220

LetsGetIt1220

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

I clean mine out every 6 months. I use compressed air, a vacumm and wet/dry wipes :) I completely strip the case down and take all the components out of it. Normally takes the better part of a day but it must be done!

• Tt Andy and HappyBuddhaman like this

Forum%20sig_zps3xi8x5gy.jpg

Tt Andy

Tt Andy

Tt Staff

• Administrators
  • 489 posts
  • LocationLala land

I clean mine out every 6 months. I use compressed air, a vacumm and wet/dry wipes :) I completely strip the case down and take all the components out of it. Normally takes the better part of a day but it must be done!

I must take my hat off for you Enos, completely stripping the case down is a lot of work! I usually avoid doing that as much as i can haha

Sometimes when i do that my GPU's don't work properly but i guess that can because of buggy hardware

• LetsGetIt1220 likes this

PC Specs 

LetsGetIt1220

LetsGetIt1220

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

I must take my hat off for you Enos, completely stripping the case down is a lot of work! I usually avoid doing that as much as i can haha

Sometimes when i do that my GPU's don't work properly but i guess that can because of buggy hardware

Haha it comes with the territory I suppose. I repair, build and review PC's on a near daily basis and find it almost therapeutic LOL I block off the whole day, get everything ready to go in the morning, strip it all out, get some lunch, clean it all and build it back up. Normally after I'm done I enjoy a few beers and some gaming for my hard efforts lol. 

Also do the same thing with my laptop twice a year :P It's a pain in the but, but doing repairs I know how important preventive maintenance can be :)

• Tt Andy likes this

Forum%20sig_zps3xi8x5gy.jpg

HappyBuddhaman

HappyBuddhaman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, United States

I'm the guy with the Pledge Wipes, cotton swabs, and a bottle of rubbing alcohol, especially for my keyboard!  I'm neurotic with keeping it clean.  Keep positive air pressure in your case and it will cut down on dust collection.

• Tt Andy and LetsGetIt1220 like this

Current Rig - Project 2501

Case - Thermaltake Level 10 GT White 

MB - Gigabyte Gaming 7

CPU - Intel i7-4970K

RAM - G.SKILL Trident X 2400 16 GB OC'd to 2400  

GPU - NVidia / ASUS Strix GTX 1080 

PSU - EVGA 1300 G2 Supernova

CPU Cooler - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme w/ 2 120mm RGB Riing fans 

Air Cooling - 2 Enermax Vegas 140mm \ 1 Enermax Vegas 120mm 

Mouse - Thermaltake Level 10 / Wired / Red 

Keyboard - Thermaltake MEKA G Unit Illuminated

Storage - 128 GB SSD boot drive, 2 TB HDD's (2, 1 TB HDD's) 

OS - Windows 10

Speakers - Corsair SP2500

Audio Card - Creative Sound Blaster ZxR 

Monitor - ASUS ROG Swift PG348.

KaopPy.jpg

dO_ob

dO_ob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

maybe 2 times a year if lucky though i clean my dust filters every month

Tt Luis

Tt Luis

Advanced Member

• Moderator LUXA2
  • 143 posts

once a year

DJMACRAE

DJMACRAE

Just Getting Started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationScotland

I might take the side off and blow some dust away, but rarely, I tend to upgrade every 12-18 months, when I do a new build, I usually strip down the old pc, sell some parts, buy some new parts, as I do that I clean

hotcoolman

hotcoolman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Actally use more than 1 ways to clean. And as long as feel necessary, clean immediately.

Acojonancio

Acojonancio

Just Getting Started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Every week with air compressor. I got a bird and 2 persons in same room, sure gets lot of dust. XD

BlackSheep

BlackSheep

Beginner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Once a year is good enough for me ._., with dry cloth too 

you can imagine how dirty my rig  now >.<

mhalhuphet

mhalhuphet

Just Getting Started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

i usually clean my rig with lighter fluid becuase its too quick to evaporate and it cleans the dust also i used my comppresed air can so the dust in the thin areas can remove :D 

Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Beginner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Nice thread, I usually blow the dusts using my mouth and some dry cloth. :) 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clean, rig, chassis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users