V71 FAN LED Switch Not Working

Trey5537

Hi forum,

I built my first computer two weeks ago for gaming and everything went extremely well.  No issues, except that I am unable to figure out why my FAN LED switch does not work. I recently went thru the case and made sure everything was connected, and it does appear as if I connected everything properly.

The FAN LOW and FAN HIGH switch works, along with the POWER and RESET switch provided on the fan controller. Again, everything works except the FAN LED switch. When the PC is powered on the LED lights on the three 200mm FANs power on, but nothing happens when I hit the switch to turn off the LED lights.

I have the three original 200mm case fans connected to the fan controller and nothing more. Is there some stupid/simple step I missed when hooking everything up that is causing this delay? Or, is it possible I have a defective fan controller? I believe everything regarding the fan controller is hooked up properly, that is, as the other switches on the controller work flawlessly.

Anyone have any ideas or recommendations? This issue is purely cosmetic as everything else is working great, but I would like FAN LED ON/OFF switch to work. I appreciate everyone's advice and/or recommendations. Oh, and my build's specs are listed below:

V71 Case

X99 Deluxe

5960X

MSI GTX 970 4G

16GB Corsair DDR4-2133

PSU Corsair CX750

NEPTON 280

Thanks again,

Trey

Trey5537, 

Welcome to the forums!

Make sure the 2-pin molex connector is plugged in all the way and both pins have a good connection. Unplug/plug it back.

Also check the button on PCB board, you will have to take off the top section. Check and make sure the button is not stuck, try pressing it directly and look to make sure nothing looks damaged. Could just be a dead component too..

Let us know!

Call our support tomorrow. Our USA Office contact info is in my signature. 

ThermalMike,

Thank you for the welcome! I did as you suggested and checked the molex connection. I unplugged and reconnected the fan controller to the PSU molex, and then booted.  Same issue upon reboot.

I have the fan controller plugged into a PSU molex that is powering the MSI 970 4G and my HD. So, I thought I would try running a new molex from the PSU with nothing attached but the fan controller. I rebooted and am still having the same issue.

Also, I did as recommended and made sure the button is not stuck.  The button definitely is not stuck, and the printed circuit board does not appear to be damaged. However, I did notice that the top 200mm fan's LED lights appear to be weaker/dimmer than the two mounted on the front of the case.

These are the stock 200mm fans that came with the case.  Is it possible that the top 200mm fan could be defective? If so, could it cause the FAN LED ON/OFF switch to not function? Again, the other switches work flawlessly.

If the FAN CONTROLLER is defective, is it possible to RMA the FAN CONTROLLER through Thermaltake directly without returning the entire case? It looks as if the FAN CONTROLLER is connected to the case via two screws.

Anyways, any thoughts or ideas? Is it possible that the case's top 200mm fan is defective and is ultimately responsible for this issue? I appreciate the help in resolving this issue, and as stated previously, this issue is purely cosmetic.  Everything works flawlessly other than the LED ON/OFF switch.

I am hoping to resolve the issue without having to disassemble/remove all of the components from the V71 tower. Thank you in advance for further recommendations/advice.

Trey

Trey5537,

Yes, we can replace just the fan controller only so you can hang on to the case and everything else.

Give us a call today - Toll Free: 1-800-988-1088 M-F 9:00AM~5:30PM (P.S.T)

Our support team and discuss with you directly about the controller and the fans and we can look to see what the best solution is.

Keep us posted on what you find out!

Okay, so I received the replacement FAN CONTROLLER and everything works as it should.  I suspect the underlying issue was with the MOLEX power connector because the LED lights are much brighter and the fans sound as if they are running faster.  No damage on the PCB and the soldering looked good, so I suspect the issue was with the molex itself. I appreciate the forum's help.

Trey

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hello everyone,

i have one question, hoping that you can help me. 

I bought V71 case 2 months ago. Everything worked just fine. Today, fan led button "stopped working". When i turn on pc, all FAN leds are working. Then i hit the fan led button, and all leds shut down. Howewer, i can't reignite them with fan led button. Only way to get them back on is restarting the pc. When i press fan led button to turn them back on, all led lights lit for a second.

What should i check? I removed top, and everything seems just fine.

• 3 months later...

Hello,

It sounds like the fan controller may be defective, please contact our support for assistance in an RMA to swap out the controller.

Make sure you only have the V71 fans connected to the Fan controller, any other fan connecting could cause the controller to fail.

Support contact for USA in my signature :)

• 2 months later...

Is there any possibility  to have Thermal Take support for the Chassis fan Controller in Pakistan as mine is not working from the Start. I purchased the casing on March 10, 2016 and built my computer on April 5, 2015. All buttons and light except for fan on/off, slow and fast button and lights are not working. However, when I put the fan leads to motherboard controller, they work fine. I am disappointed as the place of purchase in Pakistan (Computer Zone, czone.com.pk) didn't turned out to be very friendly on this matter. 

Is there any possibility  to have Thermal Take support for the Chassis fan Controller in Pakistan as mine is not working from the Start. I purchased the casing on March 10, 2016 and built my computer on April 5, 2015. All buttons and light except for fan on/off, slow and fast button and lights are not working. However, when I put the fan leads to motherboard controller, they work fine. I am disappointed as the place of purchase in Pakistan (Computer Zone, czone.com.pk) didn't turned out to be very friendly on this matter. 

Hello,

Please contact our global support team for assistance.

http://my.thermaltake.com/ctGeneral.aspx

http://my.thermaltake.com/csWarranty.aspx

Thermaltake HQ. Email : CS@thermaltake.com

• 2 years later...
Hello. Sorry for the English, I use the translator. Please tell me how you can solve the problem with the fan controller. It is out of order, I don’t want to change the whole case. I just need a new board. I bought a case in Russia, Russian support replied that they did not have it in the office. And nowhere to buy it, you can somehow send me a controller