Computer Speakers

HappyBuddhaman

I have a pair of old 2.1 speakers that are starting to fail on me.  I'm looking at another set, that are very hard to find and might be going on EOL (End of Life).  A store near me has them in stock, and they are made from a reputable company, and all the reviews on them are fantastic.  Even with the EOL I'm sure they would honor the 2 year warranty.

Think it's worth the risk for an EOL product?

It was a toss up between the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1, the Bose Companion 5, and the Corsair SP2500.  The Corsairs I believe are going EOL.

The Klipsch are great, but sub can sound muddy, drivers are smaller than the Corsairs, and can get distorted at higher volumes.

The Bose, ####, they negate whatever sound card you have in your system, even if it's onboard sound like mine, so I call up a Bose store, and ask for the specifications of "their" sound card built into the set, they have no idea and have me call corporate.  I call Bose corporate office, and THEY don't know.  They don't know the specs of their own built in sound card!! That was a deal breaker for me right there.  If you're going to over ride spec in my custom built PC, and not tell me what you're replacing it with....yeah, good luck with that.

NO ONE online has stock of the Corsairs SP2500's, but a Microcenter near me happened to have them, so after reading a lot of reviews, I decided to go with them.  Bigger drivers, guaranteed wattage, and a two year warranty.  Been working on finding that "sweet spot" setup last night with them, I'm very impressed, still needs some tweaking, especially in the mid and a little in the high range, but I'll get there.  Amazing sound, no distortion at higher levels, I'm sure my neighbors know I got a new set.  :D :D

oh nice, i was looking into the ProMedia 2.1 too but i ended up getting the Harman Kardon Soundsticks iii, which are pretty good for the price.

LOL @ Bose, i never really looked into Bose, just thought they are too overpriced for the sound quality. I mean the top teir products are amazing but the lower teir i think your just paying for the brand name.

have you looked into the audioengine a5+ they are quite reasonably priced too but then again they are 2.0

The Corsiar speakers look a bit outdated imo, and depending on how big your room is i think the sub box seems a bit chunky and might drown out your highs and mids.

I did look at the Audioengines, but I wanted to add a sub, and it was getting out of my price range.  The sub on the Corsairs is adjustable with a control you can keep on your desk, it can do everything from rattle the entire room to absolutely nothing, plus it fits under my desk, so it's not in the way.