Identify this noise?

J. Scott Elblein

Bought this PSU new almost 4 years ago from NewEgg (has a 5 Year Warranty) and it's been a solid PSU up until yesterday, when I woke up to what sounded like Antman using a mini jackhammer, coming from my computer.

Is this the result of bearings going bad? Or?

Video of the noise: http://youtu.be/u2WqOIezVI8

I'd like to RMU it, but I read a couple horror stories about Thermaltake exchanging it for a lower quality, refurbished PSU?

Hello,

Welcome to our Tt Community and thanks for posting up your concern.

Watching the video, did the grill get bent up where it is now hitting the fan?

This does not sound like bearings to me, it sounds like the fan blades are hitting the grill cover on the PSU or something is stuck in there.

Check that out and/or give our USA support a call, we do not give our customers a lower product, you will get the same product or something of equal or greater performance for replacement.

Here to help you if you need my support.

Thermaltake USA Customer Service

Email: ttsupport@thermaltakeusa.com

Toll Free: 1-800-988-1088 M-F 9:00AM~5:30PM (P.S.T)

Watching the video, did the grill get bent up where it is now hitting the fan?

This does not sound like bearings to me, it sounds like the fan blades are hitting the grill cover on the PSU or something is stuck in there.

Hi ThermalMike,

Excellent call :) Before I read your reply I was suspicious of the same idea; took a pair of needlenose pliers, and gently pulled down on the grill just enough to "bend" it away from the fan and the noise stopped. It came back later when I had GTA V going on full blast, so I did it again but a little bit harder, and it hasn't come back since, and it's been about a week now.

My concern now is, it was tucked away, completely enclosed before and when it happened, and nothing is/was loose inside the case that would've pushed the grill up into the fan. What do you think might've been the cause of the fan moving toward the grill enough (or vice-versa) to cause the rattle, without any external cause?

Awesome to hear it was easy fix.

As for what could have happened, hard to say. Just be careful when working in there with a top mount PSU config.

It was likely an accident and will probably not happen again now that you know.

Look into upgrading your chassis to a bottom mount PSU and this will not be an issue anymore.

I know an awesome company that sells some nice computer cases if you need any help :P

I know an awesome company that sells some nice computer cases if you need any help :P

I agree, lol. I've been planning to get a new case for a pretty long time now. This case is an HP Pavilion case from when I bought it new, which I've essentially completely gutted and put all new hardware in it by now, including mobo and cpu. It's microATX, so it's cramped as H*ll in there, lol. Always interested in hearing recommendations. :)

I agree, lol. I've been planning to get a new case for a pretty long time now. This case is an HP Pavilion case from when I bought it new, which I've essentially completely gutted and put all new hardware in it by now, including mobo and cpu. It's microATX, so it's cramped as H*ll in there, lol. Always interested in hearing recommendations. :)

We have several M-ATX chassis to choose from, just sort by "M-ATX" and you can see our line up.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/chassis.aspx

If you have any questions on models, feel free to PM me or contact me directly.