Jeff In Indy

Can't use an APC UPS with a ToughPower Grand RGB650W

I have a ToughPower Grand RGB650W power supply for my UnRAID server.  I originally bought a CyberPower UPS for it, but when I lost power, my computer turned off, despite it being plugged into the battery outlet.  I returned it, and bought an APC UPS.  It had the same problem.  I also plugged in my desktop to the battery, using it's crappy PS, and pulled the plug on the UPS.  My desktop stayed on, my server shut off.

Does the ThermalTake not have the ability to stay on the brief time it takes for the battery to kick on?

What model apc did you get. Have you tried a pure sine wave ups. I do know that not all power supply's like a simulated sine wave. Some want\need a pure sine wave. This could be the problem and why you are seeing issues with one psu and not the other. 

How many watts is your server pulling?

I have tried 2 different UPSes:  The CyberPower 950VA Battery Back- Up System, returned it, and got a APC BackUPS PRo 1500VA Battery Back Up.  Neither one could protect my server.

I'm only running about 200 Watts at the most on the server.

If you can pick one up I would try a pure sine wave the one I got was model BR1500MS but they have others out there. I do have 2 other BR1500G, one with a BR24BPG addon and they would cause my psu make a high pitch tone. Its worth a shot if you can find one near you that you can return if it does not work out for you.

It's storming here today and I currently have an APC BN1500M2. I just had the same #### thing happen to me. I'm using the Toughpower Grand RGB750W. Draw is about 200-300w. This was a $200+ UPS when I bought it. It worked fine with my other PSU. Obviously something's wrong with how they've designed these. Is there anyway around this issue?

Edited by Lith
Correcting APC model

An update, I picked up a CyberPower GX1500U which is supposed to be pure sinewave and this PSU still dies when the power goes out. Going to create a ticket with TT.

Same issue here. Two different RGB650W on two different machines do this, PSUs bought in December. On one, a higher-end APC SMT1500 seems to continue working during battery power. The second one is even worse - the power supply just browns out and reboots every 3-5 sec while on battery power.

I'll add to the conversation and say, I'm having the same issue.  

Here are a the details - 

I bought a brand new PC from CyberPowerPC using a "THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GRAND RGB 650W 80 PLUS GOLD FULL MODULAR POWER SUPPLY".

My original UPS was a 10 year old (at least!) "Rocketfish" unit that provided 500W of backup power.  Had a power hiccup and my PC went off immediately.  Thinking that 500W wasn't enough or maybe this old UPS was just toast (although it ran my old PC just fine), I upgraded to a new APC UPS that provided 900W of power in a "stepped sinewave simulation" output.  I then simulated a power failure by pulling the plug on UPS and the computer went off immediately. 

Hmmm...doing some more research, I understood that these newer power supplies work best with a "Sinewave output" type of UPS.  OK, so I exchange the new APC UPS for a new Cyper Power (By the way, for those that may not know...this is a completely different "Cyber Power" company than the company that manufactured my PC) with 810W of "true sinewave output".  Guess what?  Yep - pull the plug on the UPS and the PC goes off immediately.  All the while I have an open ticket with CyberPowerPC trying to get them to help me figure out what's wrong - they are all but useless.

So, I call Cyper Power (the UPS company) and talk to their tech support.  After I describe the problem and the steps I've already taken to fix it, the tech support guy says "let me guess...you have a Thermaltake power supply?"  I said - "Yeah...how did you know that?".  He goes on to tell me, UNOFFICIALLY, that they are seeing this problem more and more with ThermalTake power supplies.  They suggest replacing the power supply with a different brand as, from their in-house research (phone calls, bench tests, etc), they can duplicate the issue, they have reached out to Thermaltake and Thermaltake isn't owning up to any problems...yet, here we ALL are...with the same problem.  I also called Thermaltake Customer support and have yet to receive a phone call back so there's that...

So, does Thermaltake have any update for us or do I truly need to source a new power supply to make sure my system is protected?

On 6/25/2020 at 7:40 PM, Chuck_N said:

I'll add to the conversation and say, I'm having the same issue.  

Here are a the details - 

I bought a brand new PC from CyberPowerPC using a "THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GRAND RGB 650W 80 PLUS GOLD FULL MODULAR POWER SUPPLY".

My original UPS was a 10 year old (at least!) "Rocketfish" unit that provided 500W of backup power.  Had a power hiccup and my PC went off immediately.  Thinking that 500W wasn't enough or maybe this old UPS was just toast (although it ran my old PC just fine), I upgraded to a new APC UPS that provided 900W of power in a "stepped sinewave simulation" output.  I then simulated a power failure by pulling the plug on UPS and the computer went off immediately. 

Hmmm...doing some more research, I understood that these newer power supplies work best with a "Sinewave output" type of UPS.  OK, so I exchange the new APC UPS for a new Cyper Power (By the way, for those that may not know...this is a completely different "Cyber Power" company than the company that manufactured my PC) with 810W of "true sinewave output".  Guess what?  Yep - pull the plug on the UPS and the PC goes off immediately.  All the while I have an open ticket with CyberPowerPC trying to get them to help me figure out what's wrong - they are all but useless.

So, I call Cyper Power (the UPS company) and talk to their tech support.  After I describe the problem and the steps I've already taken to fix it, the tech support guy says "let me guess...you have a Thermaltake power supply?"  I said - "Yeah...how did you know that?".  He goes on to tell me, UNOFFICIALLY, that they are seeing this problem more and more with ThermalTake power supplies.  They suggest replacing the power supply with a different brand as, from their in-house research (phone calls, bench tests, etc), they can duplicate the issue, they have reached out to Thermaltake and Thermaltake isn't owning up to any problems...yet, here we ALL are...with the same problem.  I also called Thermaltake Customer support and have yet to receive a phone call back so there's that...

So, does Thermaltake have any update for us or do I truly need to source a new power supply to make sure my system is protected?

same with me, sadly in my country we can't just return something we buy without any reasonable reason, i just build and buy Toughpower Grand RGB 80+platinum psu with CyberPower Value 2200VA, i contacted the thermaltake distributor in my country and they tried to solve out the problem by asking directly to thermaltake thailand, i need them to solve this problem of course, their marketing and promotion dont even list that u need a pure sinewave ups to begin with. i want to exchange this power supplies to another type (it's okay if it still from thermaltake) as long that psu support my ups, the solution is UPGRADE not downgrade the power supplies by paying the extra money to upgrade my last psu (if they really have a psu that working with a normal UPS).