Thermaltake S500 vs. RTX 3080 vertical mount

stabmyreality

Hello guys,

I have bought Thermaltake S500 case - mainly due to vertical GPU mount options. Unfortunately I have discovered that after assembly of all parts together, during final assembly of GPU I am missing like 1cm in order to connect GPU to the GPU riser cable bracket. I checked if the supporting bracked can be raised inside of the case, unfortuantely without success.

Currently, the GPU is still mounted vertically but completely without the supporting bracket inside the case - assembled just in to standard rear gpu bracket. Assembly seems okay, sogging compatible with standard assembly of GPU....

GPU is Palit Gamerock RTX 3080. Is there some official information statement regarding compatibility available...?

Thank you very much in advance!

sdafasdfasdf.PNG

20210104_174622_resized.jpg

Hello

It is very difficult to see what's in the photo you have posted as the inside of your case is dark, if you can take another photo of the VGA Tray and riser cable  installed into your case without the card slotted in that may illustrate your issue a bit clearer.  

I have a different TT case but if it is a similar design to the Core P5 vertical bracket (which looks like it is) there is a spacer that sits between the psu and VGA tray to keep it at the correct height for slotting the card in, this also supports the weight of the card.  it looks like there should be similar in the S500 as per the photo.

The mounting of all VGA cards into PCIE is a standard size (Height of PCIE Slot ) it is only the length of your card that determines whether it will fit in the case, and yours is well under the 400mm limit, Riser cable length can sometimes be a factor depending on board (My riser was a rather neat fit).

image.png

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. To be honest I had the same idea when I saw those two spacers inside of packaging. First smaller one is usable for default position of the support bracket. The other longer spacer would give me the space I am missing. Unfortunately it seems that designers in TT forgot to include second position for the support bracket in case - because there is no possibility to assemble the complete support bracket higher than is the default. If I decide to put the second longer spacer in place, I just rise the bracket on one side what makes no sense at all. The Core P5 vertical bracket seems to be 1 piece. In my case this bracket is made from 2 parts - standard back VGA bracket + the supporting one inside the case (where the spacer is placed). 

Regarding the riser cable - I bought TT riser cable in order to avoid assembly issues. LOL.

If you check the picture in here, it is easy to notice that there is missing second higher slot for the support bracket. It is either this position, or the same position with one edge higher than the other ones (I wonder who thinks that is a good idea), or you have no support bracket at all. Case manual does not mention anything about two options for the support bracket assembly.

image.png.905abd71c127975ccb168de5d15b5e51.png

Is there a compatibility overview for TT cases? Such basic thing should be available in order to avoid these kinds of situations.... Maybe the case is not even RTX compatible, but I guess only TT knows.

If you mean mounting for the vga tray onto the motherboard tray this looks correct as per photo there only is 1 set of holes to screw into.

I am going back to basics here but bear with me. I am still not seeing your issue  in your photo (PCI slots are wrongly orientated for vertical mount for a start)

From the manual it looks like you need to remove the pci slot assembly plates on the rear panel, attach the standoff to the vga tray front right corner and looks like the lhs of the vga tray is supported on the rear  of the case somehow ( hooks onto opening where you removed the PCI plates, or using the other standoff maybe ??)   There are 2 standoffs for a reason, this is a standard position for all cards.

The dimensions of a PCI  and PCIE slot have been standardised for as long as I have been building them (25 years), makes no difference whether the card is on the board or a riser, it should, once assembled correctly form the same dimensions as board mount so the card slots in correctly, and is properly supported.  Your card is compatible as is under 400mm in length, that is the only criteria used as the height is standard (height of backplate with the screw mount point), and the width is either 1 or 2 slots (normally 2 in higher end  cards)

Maybe take photos of each stage of vertical card install and post them, without that its impossible to see your problem.

Remove the rear PCI assy plates and the vga tray and start from the beginning, take lots of photos then maybe we can see whats going on.

Its probably something simple being missed, it normally is.

Screenshot_20210108-083232_Chrome.jpg

That picture is not mine, I found it on the internet (I am at work now). I have the GPU bracket rotated and assembled as it should for vertical mount. I have removed the support bracket from my PC already since it has no real meaning for me.

As soon as I am back home, I will upload the picture, so you clearly know where is the problem.... Described by words - afte complete proper assembly of all parts, the GPU is not reaching PCI-e connector in support bracket. Reasons: 1) the VGA Bracket is too high (GPU cannot move more down) 2) Support bracket is too low (cannot be moved up - depending on VGA bracket ).

Not really sure what the OP's issue was, never got an answer back as to how he got on, was waiting on some photos to illustrate exactly where the issue was, was a little confusing TBH.

I think that was what he was getting at, that he had the 3080 fixed vertically onto the PCI back plate only and the riser was slotted on underneath but unsupported as had removed the vga plate on top of the PSU??

Not really a good idea for such a heavy card if that was how it was installed, basically held up with the backplate, which is normally held on by the ports screwed onto the backplate

Been giving me nightmares thinking about it....lol 😱

Sorry guys for late response. I tried how the back plate holds before I decided to mount the card without support bracket (most of the case do not even have the support bracket anyway). It was okay.

Back to my issue. I gave it another try. This time I moved the bracket closer to the side glass and suddenly it somehow fits even though you have to make the parts fit together with a bit of extra force. Still some visible flaws but I do not want to touch it anymore.

Main thing - stable OC of the GPU at 2115 Mhz, not exceeding 65 degrees (NON OC CARD).

image.thumb.png.ef7d58f8721d375a573f661259216b2e.png

Thank you for your support.