WATERCOOLED PC DESK MOD WITH CAR SOUND SYSTEM

Hey guys, Below are links to all of my Pages. Most YouTube footage will not be up until the desk mod is complete so please stay tuned. Visit my Facebook page for more pictures at higher quality.

I would first like to start off by saying this build cost me a total of $22000 AUD and took around 6 months to build. I have chosen to include an inbuilt car audio system to do something different and save some space. This is my very first build and two weeks prior to building this i had no idea how to put a computer together or even what parts to buy, it took me a solid week of studying up on computers so that i was confident enough to attempt this build, so please enjoy.

Please forgive me for image quality.

I was researching the internet one night for a new computer because my laptop just wasn't up to scratch anymore and it couldn't even run battlefield. I knew nothing about computers however i was interested in trying to put together a build.

Luckily my mate knew about computers and he helped me put together a neat build.

Components include: Windows 8.1, 4770k i7 processor, Asrock extreme 4 motherboard, 850watt cool master PSU, 16gb Rip jaws RAM, Nvidia GTX 780 GPU, 2tb Western Digital HDD and a 120gb Samsung SSD.

cCwCTea.jpg

Putting this build together got me more interested in computers so i decided to look up other builds on the net and came across some awesome computer mods, one that caught my eye was a computer within a desk, I WANTED TO MAKE MY OWN.

Starting in January 2014, i did two full days of research on computers, components, how to videos and reviews because i knew absolutly nothing about them.

Two days passed and i decided to drawn up some plans for the desk.

FGac45J.jpg

With the desk drawn up i made a list of components that i would need to purchase, the main computer specs included:

Windows 8.1, i7 4770k processor, Asus maximus VI formula motherboard, two 1000watt corsair gold RM series PSU's, 32gb of corsair dominator platinum RAM, two nvidia GTX 780Ti GPU's in SLI, 4Tb western digital HDD + three 1Tb western digital HDD,

two 250gb samsung SSD's + two 120gb samsung SSD's, Asus xonar essence stx soundcard and Asus xonar phoebus soundcard. I will also be watercooling everything, running tripple 27inch monitors and setting up a full car sound system within the desk.

Since this build was going to be a long and expensive project i went all out on components to make a beast.

Just a few photos of some parts used in the build:

affh3Ht.jpg

rCw49Xt.jpg

SOKoCd8.jpg

TYIihAZ.jpg

P1ZmNHF.jpg

Oogd0JL.jpg

xMhMdb8.jpg

Moving on to the desk, the wood used to make the desk is 18mm thick and the legs were made thicker for extra support. Iv also included a back board for extra support and stability. The top of the desk is routed out to fit a sheet of 6mm thick hardened glass.

A few pictures of the desk being built:

i7rXdwG.jpg

nWKWvcm.jpg

03Z0k6l.jpg

KEh55Ll.jpg

v40L1pP.jpg

I also made some fake elevated bottom platforms to hide wires and make wire management as clean as i can. I wrapped the platforms in a carbon fibre vinyl which turned out amazing.

Elevated Platforms:

ZCDdBPN.jpg

CWrqXiQ.jpg

yEcpEne.jpg

RvjnULV.jpg

jnldxhI.jpg

Once i had all of my cutouts done to size i decided to test fit some components and also see how much space would be available for cable routing, lighting and running tubing to watercool all of the components.

Test Fitting:

TnlXCR7.jpg

rwS2njq.jpg

ht0Tc4P.jpg

CNUXzU8.jpg

27DukWI.jpg

10YVs8R.jpg

Components fit well and i am happy with how the desk is shaping up.

I decided it would be a good idea to test out the computer with its stock coolers before i install the waterblocks to make sure everything worked correctly. I also ran some performance comparisons with my 780Ti superclocked GPU's.

The results i obtained are with no overclock, everything will be overclocked when the build is complete.

One 780Ti GPU on ultra settings.

X07yFDN.jpg

Two 780Ti GPU's in SLI configuration.

F7ovw2Q.jpg

The desk is now ready to be painted. I decided to go with a nice gloss black on the outside and the raised platform in the desk. The inside walls of the desk are being wrapped in carbon fibre vinyl.

Desk Painted:

KendeBB.jpg

wxkaFnS.jpg

vxxyf4K.jpg

OP4ZOnY.jpg

gaCzdqJ.jpg

Now that i have built the desk and painted it, i started installing some components such as fans, speakers, amplifier and i also installed my water blocks onto the computer components.

bI4atf4.jpg

KxCByke.jpg

Moiv4N6.jpg

IXorved.jpg

UkZfVRi.jpg

DrLFS9l.jpg

i1MOomz.jpg

Since installing a lot of my components i have made some real progress with the desk. I have installed 2/3 of my tubing and now im just waiting for some extension cables to come in the mail before the desk can be finished.

Progress pictures:

6loIQv3.jpg

NqF7WN4.jpg

7ibsnVc.jpg

Now that the desk is around 2/3 built i decided to add some LED light strips to illuminate all of the components. I wired all of the LED strips up to switches and i put some perspex under my amplifier,

HDD's and SSD's to create a green illuminated boarder around them. There are LED strips under the perspex to illuminate it even further.

g3YoMEh.jpg

6EvkMJk.jpg

d2jRXf1.jpg

This is an image for anyone who would like to know how to wire your LED lights to a switch/dimmer.

qp0xLYB.jpg

hZQhecc.jpg

After wiring up all of my LED lights to switches and dimmers i wanted to test the lights to make sure everything is working as planned.

kbAUBko.jpg

sh3Z0l7.jpg

b2cdqgf.jpg

This is my build as of the 12/06/2014. I am currently waiting for some extension cables in the mail so i am able to put the motherboard side in the desk and work on some nice cable management.

Hopefully i should receive the goods next week. Please stay tuned and ill upload more progress photos as i continue with the build.

So, i have received my last parcel in the mail and i have put the PC inside the desk and wired everything up. I am so happy with how it looks. I still have to wait till tomorrow for the glass top of the desk and i will also be putting the UV green Mayhem's dye in, so hopefully i can post some more progress shots within the next few days. After all of that is done i can get the monitors going and turn the computer on after 24 hours of leak testing. Once 100% complete i will post a load of images on here for all to see, cheers

Progress shots:

These two shots are of how messy the cables were before i put the elevated platform in the desk.

4xi963W.jpg

Q1IBI62.jpg

These pictures are of the desk as it stands today. Iv also taken some pictures under the different lighting options and i am very happy with the look of the desk. Dont mind the mess under the desk, that will be cleaned tomorrow before the glass guys get here.

SIhs6oK.jpg

5AVt0tf.jpg

YKTCtSZ.jpg

oFC1WqR.jpg

oCzbkpP.jpg

NHHfqf2.jpg

2h9wnKG.jpg

zpi3EJQ.jpg

3YE6pTB.jpg

So.. I managed to fill the loop yesterday and ran into some problems. I filled the loop and had it running for around 2 hours when i noticed liquid all over the motherboard. 

Straight away i turned the pumps off and had to take everything apart to clean the motherboard and dry it off. I drained the loop to do just that.

When everything was taken out of the desk i took apart the Asus maximus VI formula motherboard to dry it out and observe where the source of the leak had occurred. This is what i found..

9LcfYRu.jpg

As you can see in the image above, the motherboard water block looks as if the coolant has leaked through the seal, 

so i decided instead of returning the product for a new one, i might try tighten the seal and dry out the motherboard.

nfx2Zbw.jpg

The picture above is of the motherboard with the back plate and thermal armor removed as well as all of the thermal blocks and the CPU. 

It was essential that all of the liquid was dried and removed so it was necessary to remove all of these components to prevent a short circuit when i powered the PC on. 

I wired up a fan to a small 12v power adapter and placed it over the CPU and RAM slots to dry out any liquid that found its way into the gaps. I also borrowed my sisters hair drier to speed up the drying process.

q4wvWFZ.jpg

Above is testing the components to see if they all still work after letting everything dry for 8 hours or so. I had removed the CPU water block to let the CPU slot dry so when it came to testing whether the components worked or not i had to reinstall some thermal grease on my delidded CPU and on the thermal copper plate and use the stock air cooler. 

The PC powered up fine and everything worked. While i had the computer on i decided to check the CPU temperatures because i had delidded the CPU and put my own thermal grease on. 

Previous core temperatures ranged from 34-37 degrees Celsius, the new temperatures ranged from 18-21 degrees Celsius with the stock cooler, so i was very happy with them results.

3cOkSZ5.jpg

The picture above is of the refill and previous leak area, so far so good. Another possible cause of the leakage around that area is where the fittings screw into the motherboard water block. 

I have since installed some extender fittings into the motherboard and then screwed the compression fittings into those. 

The reason for this is the compression fittings are a lot wider and i believe that the design of the motherboard water block was preventing them from #### down all the way, therefore creating a leakage area. 

I have highlighted the problem areas below. These areas are sticking up preventing the compression fitting from #### in all the way.

wcsskgo.jpg

As of this moment i have put everything back into the desk and i am leak testing overnight, so far the problem areas have been fixed. I will be uploading more progress very shortly.

So, progress has been made with the desk. 

A few days have past, i have my 24 hour leak test complete and so far no dramas. Next phase of the build is to put the three 27 inch monitors up on the monitor stand i purchased from USA. 

I open the monitor stand box only to find that the wrong stand had been sent out to me. Instead of a free standing stand that i ordered, i received a stand with a clamp screw to hold the monitor mount onto the desk, which is a bit of a problem...

q7pfU4t.jpg

The clamp cannot open wide enough to fit the thickness of my desk due to the desk being a hollow box roughly 200mm thick. Thoughts....

I came up with a solution that only Albert Einstein himself would think of, okay that's a lie it didn't take much to come up with the idea. 

I had to create a wooden stand that the monitor mounting stand could clamp onto and the stand had to screw into the back section of the desk, pretty simple...

Went to Bunnings warehouse and scored myself three 1m lengths of wood for free (who would have thought..). 

I cut each length down to 800x150mm and cut a small piece to screw on top of the three side pieces. This top piece acted as the base for which the monitor mount would clamp on to.

9OiT3QS.jpg

GIKw629.jpg

By creating the stand it also relieves the desk of all weight and prevents any possible bowing of the wood. The stand turned out well as you can see. 

I covered it in some left over carbon fibre wrap and now i can attach all three of my monitors and run either a nvidia surround setup or run with the 3 seperate screens with the two gtx 780 ti GPU's in SLI mode. 

Also by having only the 3 sides and an open back it acts as a place to hide cables which makes everything look neater and well managed.

gIAVwpM.jpg

My desk is up and running now so updates will be posted very shortly within the next few days.

Again, please help me out by liking my Facebook page, subscribe to my YouTube where i will be posting regular videos of game footage and desk mods. It would really help me out, i appreciate the support Cheers.

After the major accident involving the leakage on the motherboard i finally got to refill the desk. The liquid coolant i am using is distilled water with some mayhems UV green dye. Please enjoy.

Please visit my facebook page to see more photos at a higher quality and chuck me a like, it would really help me out. 

This is the distilled water i picked up from Big W. I had a fair amount of trouble trying to find distilled water because most places were either sold out or only had deionized/demineralised water.

NAg9yyz.jpg

When filling the loop i always had some cloth/towels near by incase of a possible spill/leak.

EMKSAxJ.jpg

I used a funnel with a drink bottle to fill the loop. It made the process much faster and easier which saved a lot of time.

AQGVYXU.jpg

5yjeHIr.jpg

I started adding the Mayhems UV green dye to the distilled water one drop at a time until i achieved the look i was after.

9anrJjW.jpg

Nk9uEaV.jpg

RfsFGnO.jpg

The loop was filled so i had to start leak testing for 24 hours. Always make sure to put some cloth/towels/paper towel to prevent possible fluid leaks from getting onto components.

EQxVD7v.jpg

pLCwiy0.jpg

kjZ5W0z.jpg

ASQjV4m.jpg

I always checked how the leak test was going every so often..

RO3XzvC.jpg

Here are a few images after the leak test

nkPMPuz.jpg

LiAlz02.jpg

B7hHn8u.jpg

MEsaYis.jpg

LBPQyQA.jpg

A5zQ3UG.jpg

njuXS9z.jpg

Please visit my facebook page to see more photos at a higher quality and chuck me a like, it would really help me out. 

Also visit my YouTube channel where i will be posting three new Desk mod videos and help me out by subscribing. Thank you =)

More progress/final photos shortly, Thanks

So i have finally finished the desk and the leak testing is over. I plan to over clock the CPU and GPU but i will do that at a later date and share the results with you guys. The x99 series motherboards, DDR4 RAM and new GPU's are coming out so i am most likely going to upgrade the desk when these items are out on the market. Here are some final photos, please enjoy and remember you can watch my full build log series at:

and you can view more photos of the desk build, my upcoming cabinet build and some awesome modifications at my facebook page:

please enjoy.

KN8cldN.jpg

14YejC7.jpg

15i4C5f.jpg

oE3YA8W.jpg

sRXWSy0.jpg

jGsxsWG.jpg

HJsFMNH.jpg

5yLwGL9.jpg

ZLiNpWB.jpg

2zsQQqR.jpg

qMHoJdN.jpg

qX2CZHu.jpg

zJZ4vdA.jpg

lgPeHzG.jpg

etT0hTn.jpg

t2UTbPy.jpg

YgWFpNX.jpg

L1pyFhh.jpg

wYFE4LH.jpg

tQreZoL.jpg

u1VbAZO.jpg

C3mNG23.jpg

u8PY4to.jpg

jSy2pNd.jpg

sviN37R.jpg

UEImXnx.jpg

yyjOyFu.jpg

Th1fGd0.jpg

G4xzayl.jpg

That is my water cooled PC desk modification with built in car audio system, Please note the audio system works well but there are obviously better audio systems out there, the car audio was used purely so do something different, to save room and because the green and black suits the theme.

Once again please show your support by checking out my youtube and facebook page for more photos/build log videos and game footage.

I am about to start my liquid cooled PC cabinet mod which will be a red and black theme so check out my pages to follow that build which is being sponsored, Cheers.

• 1 year later...
Hi everyone, I have not posted in a long time and over the last few weeks i have upgraded my desk PC. 

The upgrades include new hardware, new liquid cooling gear and new custom platforms to house all of the components.

SPECS:

I7 5960x

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Motherboard X99

Asus RaidR Express SSD PCIe

Asus Xonar Essence one External DAC Soundcard

740gb Samsung EVO PRO SSD storage

17tb Western Digital HDD storage

32gb Kingston HyperX Predator 3000mhz RAM

This upgraded system would not have been possible without the help of our sponsors:

3cw85h6.png

s5zC6nC.jpg

who helped to supply me with the gorgeous hardware below.

E65E2vt.jpg

amr77m1.jpg

h8L8HDk.jpg

All components have been installed onto the new platforms and the new water blocks have been added. 

I decided to use distilled water with some mayhems UV green dye to fill the loop and I added some additives to 

prevent anything growing in the loop as well as a silver kill coil which acts as a natural biocide.

LDTswmA.jpg

wTcfcZG.jpg

Gw19sYU.jpg

MilwVCY.jpg

Below is a video that i made which features the filling and adding of the dye process. Thank you for your support.

Hey everyone thank you for following this build log, I am excited to share these final photos with you all so i hope you all enjoy. 

Once again thank you to our sponsors. I do not want to do too much talking, i will just let you all check out the photos and hopefully you all enjoy them. 

Check out the video below to see the desk up and running.

NFoJtKL.jpg

f9l8Ynj.jpg

VwZ5UsR.jpg

mZZ1YsO.jpg

1At4smV.jpg

LztK1Om.jpg

auLhHs6.jpg

eMJ923R.jpg

86xZBal.jpg

I have plenty more photos of the desk, they will all be on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/imfacerollgaming.

Here are the photos of the full desk.

4FBkIP5.jpg

jXr1vSO.jpg

s6DvIU5.jpg

Vk4huPn.jpg

8Uzp57Z.jpg

jxvIYA2.jpg

ygi6JIz.jpg

Tt0sTCs.jpg

Thank you for all of your support guys =)