Do I have to upgrade my PSU to ATX 3.0 If I'm only upgrading to an Intel Z790 MB?

Digital_Fuzion

I will be upgrading to the new Asus Intel Z790 Maximus Hero. I am not sure if this upgrade will require a new ATX 3.0 PSU. I won't be upgrading the GPU, only the motherboard, cpu, ram, and storage. My current PSU is a beast - TT Toughpower DPS 1500W 80 Plus Titanium. ATX12V 2.31/ EPS12V 2.92 All aside, I'm no PSU expert, that's why I'm asking? Even if I did upgrade to a RTX 40 series card,  couldn't I just use the included 16pin adapter and be just fine? This power supply is one of the best in its class. I just want to confirm before I move forward with upgrading. 

Capture.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

HI 

It's glad to hear you love our PSU.

The only thing we concern is about signal time T3. You could check the pic below

image.png.8115b63b92e6065fe9baef26cc7d89b3.png

The new ATX 3.0 T3 is 100ms~250ms.

image.thumb.png.6e40d0e28aafa7bca8b7609df45766cb.png

I suggest you could check the signal time with Asus. If the new motherboared can support PCIe 4, we think it sould be not big problem.

About new RTX 40 series, it still use PCIe 4 platform so TT Toughpower DPS 1500W 80 Plus Titanium is ok to support RTX 40 series by adapter.