Toughram XG issue when playing games from Epic Games

Scotty

A little while back i bought my son the Thermaltake Stealth Air Ryzen 5 5600X RTX 3070 with 16GB of RAM and ASUS TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS   (WIFI)

The supplied RAM in the PC was Toughram XG 2 x8GB 3600Mhz (despite the specs and ads from Themaltake showing it should come with 3200MHz ram)

Anyway, i went to upgrade the ram but there was no 2 x 8GB DImms avaialable so i bought 2 x 16GB Toughram XG 3600Mhz (so same speed ram but different size to the ram that came with the PC)

so with 48GB installed, games like fortnite and GTA started to crash. I tried different combinations of RAM sizes in the 2 channels but still didnt fix it.

even with just the 2 x 16GB dimms installed the games still crashed

When i went back 2 x 8GB the games ran fine

now i noticed that my motherbaord supports 3200Mhz which just means the eixsting 3600 ram will run at 3200MHz right? but i did notice the latency  between the 8GB and 16GB dimms are different. could this be the issue?

I did also see in the bios the 2 x 8GB dimms are running at 2666MHz. DOCP is enabled in the BIOS

should i just go buy 4 x 8GB Toughram at 3200MHz? or can i put the 16GB dimms back and tweak something in the BIOS?

Thanks

Edited by Scotty

image.thumb.jpeg.729146e22f55c5f92273a2cb3acda5e6.jpeg

when i only have 2 x 8GB dimms, it says its DDR4 3600MHz but running at 2666Mhz

image.thumb.jpeg.a8bda3a875dff322e42ac7f2d476e8e6.jpeg

when i add the 2 x 16GB 3600Mhz , it now reports the total ram is 48GB but DDR4 is 2666Mhz and the 16GB sticks are running at 3200MHz

In windows, it says the 48GB is running at 3600MHz

I have latest BIOS ver and motherboard chipset installed.

as mentioned DOCP is set amd i selected DDR4 3600Mhz in the BIOS and the voltage is correct. Any ideas why the Dimms are not showing as 3600Mhz?

Can someone also tell me if i should have the 2 x 8GBs in one channel and the 2 x 16GB together in the other channel?

Hello @Scotty, Thank you for your message; however, we don't recommend use different size of RAM at the same time which may cause crash. We recommend you can keep the 16G*2 memory, or choose to use 8G*4. For more info, please kindly check the memory support list from TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (WI-FI)|Motherboards|ASUS Global.