**ATTN Users with Thermaltake Riser Cables**

ThermalMike

I have two questions about these new riser cables.

1) What issues would I be seeing with the originals? I received my case in November 2015 and I think I got the old cables (folded taco style). I experience display driver crashes maybe once a day, but the card works normally otherwise. Could this be the cable or can I blame Windows 10 safely?

2) I want to add a 2nd card onto the riser / whatever it's called where the cards are facing outwards towards me, so I'll need another cable and another one of those metal attachments that connects the cable to the horizontal expansion slots. If I buy one of the new cables, will it come with the metal piece? Looking at the package it looks to be just the cable.

Bonus 3rd question: Amazon is out of stock. What gives? (also, $30? wow)

Thanks, TT staff!

Hi RichardMNixon,

For a small % of users, especially with higher end GPUs people have been reporting initilization issues at boot (Takes longer to see screen) or other intermittent issues once in windows or in game.

For the quantity that has been released of the Core P5, the issues reported have been under 3% here in the USA.

Display driver crashes could be a lot of things, one easy way to check is to connect the card directly into the motherboard and see if the issue continues.

If that is not possible, (totally understand if you run liquid cooling like me), see my details below and email me about a replacement cable:

Email: mike.fierheller@thermaltakeusa.com

Subject: Core P5 Riser Cable Replacement

What I need:

1. Motherboard Make/Model

2. GPU Make/Model

3. Your invoice/receipt

4. Brief description on the issues you are having

5. Your shipping address

Split up the questions you asked to separate all the info :)

2) I want to add a 2nd card onto the riser / whatever it's called where the cards are facing outwards towards me, so I'll need another cable and another one of those metal attachments that connects the cable to the horizontal expansion slots. If I buy one of the new cables, will it come with the metal piece? Looking at the package it looks to be just the cable.

The Core P5 includes 2 more PCI-E brackets already, you should have that in the box likely still I hope from the extra parts.

We have the cable online at a few etailers, stock will come and go.

You can buy an additional cable here: (In stock)

http://ttpremium.com/product/pci-e-x16-riser-cable

The cable only comes with the cable.

The cost is due to the quality of the cable and the shielding.

Trust me, be careful trying those $5 cables, especially since they are all much shorter.

The regulation on longer cables like this does vary based on MB/GPU combinations, some have no issues, other do.

I have two questions about these new riser cables.

1) What issues would I be seeing with the originals? I received my case in November 2015 and I think I got the old cables (folded taco style). I experience display driver crashes maybe once a day, but the card works normally otherwise. Could this be the cable or can I blame Windows 10 safely?

Thanks, TT staff!

The case kit comes with two of the GPU mount plate attachments for the riser card to attach to, mine did. Cheaper but the same cable with actual 5 star reviews. http://www.amazon.com/EZDIY-Express-Flexible-Extension-Card-25cm/dp/B01CEIEWU4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_328_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=41Ajowi-0OL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0QN7DK6TBKQAGD0TZ2FE

• 2 weeks later...

I just received the core p5 case and having the same problem with the riser cable.  Video failing to initialize at power-on, and when it does start, shortly afterwards, it's a BSOD (first time seeing the Windows 10 BSOD). This is my first experience with ThermalTake outside of just the power supply, and it's not a good first impression, especially with hearing that people are waiting weeks to get their 1st, 2nd or 3rd cable. 

Email Sent,

I have experienced a LOT of frustrations with this....... Thought It was video card, Thought it was Windows 10, I tried all Nvidia drivers, went back to a 760GTX, even rolled back to Windows 8.1 same issue, Finally I mounted cards directly into M/B, and both Cards are working Fine!  So I determined a Defective Riser card......Probably because it was folded 180 degrees when I opened the box for the first Time.

Riser20Cable20Issue202_zps3viqtxk3.jpg

This reminds me of a hot female, having a ####'d up hair day.. man, fix the cabling.. otherwise, nice setup

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I was going crazy. I've been building a Core P5 system for a long time (been finishing up my Core X9 build) and while I've had my system up and running and the OS installed for awhile using the onboard video, when I used the riser cable and moved my GTX 980 SC over, it would sometimes not boot, sometimes not show video, other times work perfectly. This is my first time using a PCIe riser cable.

I emailed Mike and hopefully I can get a replacement cable ASAP. I so want get this system stable and then order a second one so I can go dual EVGA GTX 1080 FTW's when they come out.

9iNFHG1.jpg

The shorter cable is part of how we resolved the concerns users where having.

We also tested the new design with the Core P5 in mulit-GPU for fitment prior to releasing it, it should be able to reach the outter card slot without an issue.

I have seen a few I have worked with personally do this and the new design is working for 99% of the people I have been talking to.

Is this new 200mm cable design what you are talking about that will work with dual GPU's, or is it a different cable? I am currently running a single GPU and have the issue (I sent you an email) and just because my system is down, I ordered one from Newegg that says it is "New Cable Design 200mm Length" (Thermaltake AC-039-CN10TN-C1) just because I can't wait, but eventually I will go with dual GPU's.

The shorter cable is part of how we resolved the concerns users where having.

We also tested the new design with the Core P5 in mulit-GPU for fitment prior to releasing it, it should be able to reach the outter card slot without an issue.

I have seen a few I have worked with personally do this and the new design is working for 99% of the people I have been talking to.

Is this new 200mm cable design what you are talking about that will work with dual GPU's, or is it a different cable? I am currently running a single GPU and have the issue (I sent you an email) and just because my system is down, I ordered one from Newegg that says it is "New Cable Design 200mm Length" (Thermaltake AC-039-CN10TN-C1) just because I can't wait, but eventually I will go with dual GPU's.

Hello,

Yes, the new cable is 200mm where the original is 230mm. All the original cables are not sold separately, just the new design.

The new design should work fine for dual GPU configurations, there is enough length to run for both.

Thanks for sending me an email, working on cable requests tomorrow.

Apologize for any delay as I have been out of the office on business for a couple weeks.

Is Mike still replacing these cables. I sent him and thermatake e-mails and didn't any replies or cable.

Yes, sorry for any delays, I have been at Computex and trying to process shipments while traveling could have been better.

Cables will be going out ASAP, just hang in there, you should get an email from me soon.

Mike got my email and replied that my new cable it on it's way! Since I'm going dual GTX 1080's I went ahead and ordered one from Newegg and it came in today. It was indeed the 200mm one (and it wasn't folded like a taco) and after 20+ boot ups and 10 3D Mark tests, I haven't had a single glitch.

It will be a little tight, but it will work. I tried putting the new cable in both my #1 and #2 PCIe slot and it will reach both the middle and inner most slots on the expansion cage, even if you put the card in the middle of the cage and put the other end in the #1 PCIe slot. But for safety sake, I recommend putting your #1 PCIe slot cable in the inner most cage slot and the #2 PCIe slot cable in the middle.

Thanks again to Mike and the rest of the crew at Thermaltake for the awesome customer support. While not a totally painless experience, it got resolved real quick, and to me, that is the true measure of good customer service.

Now to just wait on GTX 1080 availability and I can move my old GTX 980 over to my wife's rig and finish up my new Core P5 build.

8r1gIbN.png

hi

Igot to this Thread by searching for new riser cards.

I bought my Core P5 und December 15. My dream was to see the Graphiccard directly in Front of me.

But then I got mayor problems. In my favorite pc forum they told me to test my system without the riser card.

That worked for me but I was realy disappointed.

So now I see you change the old cards with new one´s and that fixed the problem for many of you guys.

But how is it possible to get a new one?

Do you need an copie from the bill? And I am from Switzerland is it possible to send this card to me?

I hop you can help me I want to hardtube the Graphic card to :P

Thanks

hi

Igot to this Thread by searching for new riser cards.

I bought my Core P5 und December 15. My dream was to see the Graphiccard directly in Front of me.

But then I got mayor problems. In my favorite pc forum they told me to test my system without the riser card.

That worked for me but I was realy disappointed.

So now I see you change the old cards with new one´s and that fixed the problem for many of you guys.

But how is it possible to get a new one?

Do you need an copie from the bill? And I am from Switzerland is it possible to send this card to me?

I hop you can help me I want to hardtube the Graphic card to :P

Thanks

Please send an email to our European customer support at support@thermaltake.de and explain your problems. We'll hook you up with a working cable.

Hi

came here because my riser cable that came with my brand new p5 was broken straight away.

So emailed mike over a week ago and got a reply saying he was passing this over to the relevant people in my region (UK) so Europe im guessing?

anyways nothing no reply, so i emailed mike again and No reply.

so quite a lot of money spent item defective pretty poor response as well.

I stopped using Tt about 10 years ago because of issues like this and not a lots changed in my opinion.

great case design shame it doesn't work, I'll wait until my 30 day UK return period is nearly up if i still haven't heard anything then its going back.

pretty poor service Tt.

I've sent Mike an email (last night) - hoping to get a response shortly.

I've managed to get my current cable to work by messing with the bend radius - but it still seems a bit inconsistent - like, after some time, the cable 'sags' ever so slightly and it starts producing driver crashes.

Question for Mike or the community - could the fact that I have a USB 2 header cable touching the riser cable (just slightly against the edge) make any difference?  Like, by introducing interference??  I do have a USB mouse connected up through the front panel - I could re-locate it to the back, if others think it would cause an issue.

Thanks!

BD4Btu6.jpg

6EoFGWk.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Mike,

Just got my case yesterday and I'm loving it (+1 for the build quality)

Unfortunately, just like the rest of guys here on the topic, my riser cable isn't working.

I submitted an email with all the necessary information and hoping to here from you soon.

Thanks all for emailing me and glad to help where I can in my region.

I try to get back to everyone best I can, if you email me, I see it, just trying to control the back-and-forth emails from everyone, Globally.

Keep contacting me if you need help, we have been very successful with the new cable "IF" you are having issues.

I can also confirm we have tested the new GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 with the new riser cable in SLI and seeing no issues.

Scores have also been on par with performance.

From my research and your feedback, we have seen less issues with reference PCB designs over modified PCB from select manufactures.

Are these still shipping with old cables? I just got my Core P5 in from Amazon, and it looks like it's potentially the old cable. I have given it a shot, but I get what appears to be the same issues many see here. It flat out won't boot, or when I can get it to boot I get a LOT of stuttering and seems very unstable. I have tried ensuring everything is seated correctly with the riser cable, but no luck still. I am running an EVGA 1080 Founders Edition

Edit: I just sent an email to Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Are these still shipping with old cables? I just got my Core P5 in from Amazon, and it looks like it's potentially the old cable. I have given it a shot, but I get what appears to be the same issues many see here. It flat out won't boot, or when I can get it to boot I get a LOT of stuttering and seems very unstable. I have tried ensuring everything is seated correctly with the riser cable, but no luck still. I am running an EVGA 1080 Founders Edition

Edit: I just sent an email to Mike

Mike! You're my new favorite person. The new riser cable works perfectly!! I just put it in this afternoon. No hiccups, no stuttering, no issues with 2 monitors freaking out. So far, so good!! 

• 2 weeks later...

how many riser cables does it take to correct the fault, im now on my second cable (second cable being the shorter 200mm revised cable) and still have issues with games dropping out randomly then an error saying "yours graphics driver has failed to load and required to restart"

im using the top x16 slot on my board and have the GPU in the furthest slot away from the MB to decrease the stress and bend on the riser cable

before buying the second riser cable i had the GPU fitted directly onto the MB and was playing games etc all day long no issues

system specs are

MB - ASUS Maximus hero 8

CPU - Intel 6600K i5 (stock)

GPU - AMD R9 390x 8GB (stock)

PSU - Corsair RM650 watt

OS - Win 10 x64 bit

really hope there is a fix for this, as i solely bought the case (of which everything else is perfect) purely to have the GPU mounted vertically.

how many riser cables does it take to correct the fault, im now on my second cable (second cable being the shorter 200mm revised cable) and still have issues with games dropping out randomly then an error saying "yours graphics driver has failed to load and required to restart"

im using the top x16 slot on my board and have the GPU in the furthest slot away from the MB to decrease the stress and bend on the riser cable

before buying the second riser cable i had the GPU fitted directly onto the MB and was playing games etc all day long no issues

system specs are

MB - ASUS Maximus hero 8

CPU - Intel 6600K i5 (stock)

GPU - AMD R9 390x 8GB (stock)

PSU - Corsair RM650 watt

OS - Win 10 x64 bit

really hope there is a fix for this, as i solely bought the case (of which everything else is perfect) purely to have the GPU mounted vertically.

Going to be honest with you, the 390X will likely not work, it has been one of the cards I have seen little success with when using a riser cable.

Even those $100+ 3M cables dont work, it the way the card is designed and how the power is delivered.

I can send you another cable, but that is all I can really offer.

The riser cable is not a guarantee unfortunately. GPU/MB manufactures do no certification on riser/extension cables that I am aware of.

I have had much better results with NVIDIA cards sorry to say, GTX 1080 in SLI no problem.

We already testing Titan X cards.