**ATTN Users with Thermaltake Riser Cables**

ThermalMike

The new riser still has problems my advice if you are serious about a quiality riser go 3M, I did not buy a p5 I just bought the riser for a custom  rwall mount build I am doing and ya it has been nothing but headaches so I bit the bullet and spent the money for a 3M riser. I really like thermaltake cases and I did really want to buy one of the new shrunken down p5 but this riser cable is a deal breaker.

thanks for the feedback, unfortunately as you suggest another riser cable would probably do the same, and having already drained and reasembled and the filled my loop up i dont fancy doing it all again to try another riser card,

i may have to reconsider having the card on the riser,

do you know why they are prone to these failures? is it a power issue? or quality of components?

Appreciate all the feedback from all of you and happy to work with anyone to help resolve issues they are experiencing.

**If you are having an issue with your Thermaltake Riser cable, please contact us today so we can help you**

Couple things I have learned from working you all:

1. Riser cables are not certified by any means with all MB/GPU manufactures.

2. Higher end GPUs are not the main problem, I have seen issues with mid range GPU just the same. (We have tested GTX 1080 in SLI without issue and full performance)

3. Several GPU manufactures do modify their PCB specifications from reference, these are usually certified prior to release, but can be prone to more issues over reference (Vanilla) models.

The Thermaltake Riser cable:

The cable it self can be folded, bent and so on, it is not the "Middle of the cable" to be concerned about, but more where the cable attaches to the PCB. The cables are matched to the connections which can cause a concern with the performance or overall function if something becomes broken or "pulled"

I highly encourage everyone with this riser cable or others, to take good care in the installation of their cables. Sometimes you dont even know you are doing it :)

- When installing the riser cable, install the bracket on first.

- Don't plug the connection into the motherboard first, do that last.

- Make sure you connect all other motherboard connections like front panel, usb headers, etc.. first. (the ones that will be behind the riser cable)

- Ensure the connections are properly seated and take note of the PCI-E lock clip on the GPU connection side.

For the customers I have worked with globally, I am happy to say we have had a great success rate for the ones that have had issues. We do still have some challeneges as tech improves and new models come out.

We are also working on some new solutions that we hope to share with you all soon.

These new solutions are all thanks to all of you, who have provided us with feedback.

Thank you!

The new riser still has problems my advice if you are serious about a quiality riser go 3M, I did not buy a p5 I just bought the riser for a custom  rwall mount build I am doing and ya it has been nothing but headaches so I bit the bullet and spent the money for a 3M riser. I really like thermaltake cases and I did really want to buy one of the new shrunken down p5 but this riser cable is a deal breaker.

Where did you find this 3m riser?  And are the connectors at both ends the same as the thermaltake?  I want to make sure it will mount properly since the riser needs to be mounted on the card end so it works for the P5 case.

Mike, the new cables are not as bad as the originals but issues persist which made me go to just a single GPU for now. I would have my computer freeze and forced me to do forced shutdowns. I have two https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GeForce-GTX-980Ti-GAMING/dp/B00ZJP9DMC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471129186&sr=8-1&keywords=gigabyte+gtx+980ti+g1+gamingcards with EK liquid cooling blocks. I want to try the 3M cables and see how that goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Thanks for the all the info and feedback.

I know some are still having some issues even after receiving a replacement.

If you are still having issues, please contact our support.

ttsupport@thermaltakeusa.com

I know from all your feedback this is not a guarantee for everyone.

We are working on some new solutions for users looking for that guarantee.

Please stay tuned for more information soon.

Hi All

I have had a replacement cable sent from Thermaltake DE, the images show the difference between the old one and the new one, the Shielding on the cable is still way below par as it opens up at the end once the card is in place. The cable still has major latency issues or at least the one I got has, still get lockup and stuttering in audio.  

What you can see is the replacement cable has several holes drilled into the mounting suggesting this cable is used on more than just the Core P5 & 3, however, the shielding on the cable is really really poor workmanship, it is either the foil is too thin or the fact they just do not wrap in right.

So it is back to Thermaltake DE to try and get another cable, and to top it all of I broke my screen when taking it off the case, also that should not have had to be if the cables had been right in the first place. 

post-104981-0-18206000-1472666243_thumb.jpgpost-104981-0-55795000-1472666247_thumb.jpgpost-104981-0-77156200-1472666253_thumb.jpgpost-104981-0-21509100-1472666262_thumb.jpg

post-104981-0-03043300-1472666238_thumb.jpg

A few months back TT support sent me a new cable and I finally took the time to install it.

Guess what happened? It fried my graphics card. No video at all when I turn it on. Swapping back to the old cable still gives no video. Onboard graphics still work so I'm using that for now.

What do you say, TT support? I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the response is "lol, enjoy buying a new one" but I'm open to surprises.

What started as the best customer service around has turned into a company I never want to do business with again. Not that losing a single customer really matters, but I'm still out a few hundred bucks for a new graphics card and I am supremely displeased. Who would have thought that a case would end up breaking components?

I received the new card and installed it.  Booted PC and started up CSGO, horrible frame rates with a 1070.  30 fps ....wth ?

Fire up heaven benchmark and it is stuttering like crazy.  I reload drivers, change PSU cables, reload windows, everything I can think of.

I went as far as trying the onboard intel hd 530 graphics.  Same result.  Did this thing fry my PCI bus somehow ?

Hi ThermalMike,

I've sent you an email in regards to my cable issues. When can I expect to hear back? I'm currently located in Canada.

Hi,

I have all requests done for people that have sent to me, can you email me again and mention this thread so I know who you are and check the status.

Please also email me the details again and forward it to me or resend.

Please also make sure you sent the request to mike.fierheller@thermaltakeusa.com

Happy to check and easy to ship out a replacement cable to you.

Hi All

I have had a replacement cable sent from Thermaltake DE, the images show the difference between the old one and the new one, the Shielding on the cable is still way below par as it opens up at the end once the card is in place. The cable still has major latency issues or at least the one I got has, still get lockup and stuttering in audio.  

What you can see is the replacement cable has several holes drilled into the mounting suggesting this cable is used on more than just the Core P5 & 3, however, the shielding on the cable is really really poor workmanship, it is either the foil is too thin or the fact they just do not wrap in right.

So it is back to Thermaltake DE to try and get another cable, and to top it all of I broke my screen when taking it off the case, also that should not have had to be if the cables had been right in the first place. 

attachicon.gifIMG_0032.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0033.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0034.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0035.JPG

Hi,

thanks for the post, the cable shielding is not as big of a deal as you make it to be, so dont worry, it is not going to cause you major issues.

I have personally ripped it off and it still works just fine. we have done several testing not just with the original or new cables, but also the ones we received back from customers that we requested them too.

The holes on the PCB are there for the mounting, they are not specific except for the cases, Core P5/P3 use the same holes :)

Of course I want to mention this is just for USA side and my personal support I have been doing to assist everyone.

If your replacement cable is defective, email me directly and I will help to get in contact with our EU team to help you.

A few months back TT support sent me a new cable and I finally took the time to install it.

Guess what happened? It fried my graphics card. No video at all when I turn it on. Swapping back to the old cable still gives no video. Onboard graphics still work so I'm using that for now.

What do you say, TT support? I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the response is "lol, enjoy buying a new one" but I'm open to surprises.

What started as the best customer service around has turned into a company I never want to do business with again. Not that losing a single customer really matters, but I'm still out a few hundred bucks for a new graphics card and I am supremely displeased. Who would have thought that a case would end up breaking components?

I will have to say the cable cannot fry your card, if installed correctly. If it fried, it may have been from a loose connection or something else.

You also did not say if it worked plugged into the M/B directly (Was wondering why you did not mention this)

You also have on-board video, so I wan to mention to make sure you took proper steps to make sure it was disabled (They can be a pain sometimes)

Why would we tell you to just buy a new one? You have warranty on the GPU right? This is why you have it, there is sooo many reasons why it may not work.

If you can, try it in another system (If you want) or just swap it out under warranty with the GPU manufacture.

It should be straight forward, I know you are upset, this happens, with everything sometimes, that is why there is warranties.

I wont speculate any further...

Here to help, you welcome to email me, we can also talk about it too. Contact me by email and will go from there.

We care about everyone, I help people all the time on all kinds of stuff.

You are welcome to contact our support just the same, I work with our team very close.

After messing around with it some more, I found my particular issue. While the ac was off I was able to hear a buzzing sound, like what you hear under a power line. I started poking around and pulled the cable away from the PCI-E slots and the sound stopped. At this point I fire up csgo and heaven and my fps is 300 and 150 respectively. The only thing I can speculate is the shielding of these cables is terrible. I found another thread where someone tried a cable off Amazon and it has been perfect. I went ahead and ordered it, 27 bucks to see how it is, 3m one is 80.

Unfortunately, I ordered a new motherboard already thinking mine was fried. It's great TT is sending out replacements, but not very helpful when their as faulty as the original. I feel sorry for whoever has a GPU in their loop.

Everyone is going to have a different experience.

I have found the shielding to not be that big of an issue with what I have tested with.

Similar cables online mostly come without any shielding.

Try what works, best thing is you can return it if it does not work out.

Let us know how that cable works out. Good Luck!

Everyone is going to have a different experience.

I have found the shielding to not be that big of an issue with what I have tested with.

Similar cables online mostly come without any shielding.

Try what works, best thing is you can return it if it does not work out.

Let us know how that cable works out. Good Luck!

Mike,

If shielding is not the case, why would I hear buzzing and then it would stop when I re-positioned the cable ?  Also, I go from bad performance to good when moved ?

The issue is, everyone should have the same experience.  It should just work.   Let's face it, most people bought this case because of the GPU orientation.  The consumer

shouldn't be the test guinea pig and left to foot the bill by trying to find something that will work for them.  Luckily for me,  I don't cool the GPU so changing out cables isn't a huge inconvenience for me , but for the guys who have to drain and refill ( sometime, multiple ), how is it fair to them ?  It's easy for TT to just pack up and send another cable that may work, but now you have someone who has to take hours to re-do his system.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow can't believe I just found this thread. I got my case for Xmas and was having problems so they sent me a new Cable in January. Tried the new Cable and had same issue. Thinking it was compatibility with M/B or GPU I didn't use it. Got a new M/B and use it with my old GPU Gtx760 and seemed to work. Just got a new GTX1070 and I've had issues in windows with BSOD and just lock ups in about 5mins. Thinking it was the card till I tried a $2 eBay riser and things worked fine. Not happy Thermal take support in Australia didn't let me know there was an issue with the older cables since I told them the new Cable didn't work either. Not sure if I am going to trust this new Cable.

Pyro2677 how was the turn around time with Thermaltake Australia to get a replacement cable?

I purchased my P3 yesterday and still have the option to take it back for a refund if it looks like too much hassle to get a working riser.

Auspost was probably the longest part I'm in QLD and took about a week to get to me. To be honest not sure if i am bothered to go through all the BS just to get a new cable (that may or may not work, so now i have a choice either not use my PC for the next few weeks or just bite the bullet and just spend a day changing my custom loop and cable management. Since the Australian RMA department have my details already because hey had sent me a replacement cable from the stock that doesn't work. They should've just sent one to me when this problem was noticed and the "new" cables were issued as my details of complaining about non working cables should be documented. Poor customer service and I don't think i will be buying another TT product again. If this cable has fried my GTX1070 you will definitely be hearing from me to have that replaced.

To be honest I'm quite P1$$ed off about this Since i just finished my custom loop and ALL of the cable management and now I have to Remove it all so i can directly plug my GPU into the slot. The nerve of them saying it was either my 760 or old motherboard. I was emailing my Asrock asking them why it didn't work and also Gainward why the card wasn't working and NOW I findout it was TT's problem all along. There should be a worldwide product recall notice issued.  

Thermaltake is now requesting to know what all my hardware is.  Really ?  They know it's their garbage cables and they just want you to jump through hoops and hope you'll go away or they can send you another cable that " might " work.  So I went ahead and sent them the information Tuesday or Wednesday....guess what ?  No response.  On that note, my Amazon cable is working for me, 30 bucks and I don't have to deal with this mess anymore.

You can also see Mike hasn't responded in over a week, guess their washing their hands of us....

I like this guys video...share it wherever you can .....