Questions on Core W100

Lina.Inverse

Hi all,

I am interested in the brand new Core W100. This chassis is really great, it has enough space especially behind the mainboard tray. Before I really purchase this cool super tower, I need the following to know:

1. I want to have everything in red in the new case. Can the blue front strip LED light be changed to a red color? Or do I need to install a different LED strip? (I have seen a video of the W100 on CES2016 with red front LED light, maybe it is a multi color LED strip).

2. I want to store my 3,5" HDDs behind the mainboard tray. Is there enough space to have the HDDs + 120mm fans (15mm or 25mm version) on top? How deep is it from right door to mainboard tray?

3. It is possible to add a bluray drive (175mm length) below the front I/O panel and installng a 480mm radiator 45mm thick + 25mm fans on the top? Or do I need to insert the bluray drive two bays below? One bay below won't work. There is one 1bay plate (W-F) missing, which prevents you to shuffle the 5.25" drives as you want! Thermaltake please add an additional 1bay plate (W-F) to the W100 package!

4. Are there dust filters available for the front?

I really appreciate any help anyone can provide.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I got an answer from Thermaltake via Facebook to the most of my questions.

In addition I asked there in addition:

5. Is castor's height already included in the Core W100's height of 677mm?

Here the answers:

"Thank you for getting in touch.
The answers for question 1, 4 and 5 are as following:

1. The blue front strip LED light can't be switched to different colour, so You need to install a red LED strip.

4. Yes, the front panel is designed with dust filters.

5. The height (677mm) is included castor's height."

Can anyone else answer my 2nd and 3rd question?

NB: I alreay preordered the Core W100 from a German shop. I hope it will arrive soon ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

to add would be also (as i found out by mailing tech support), at the moment there are no additional hdd cages etc. available! tt is waiting for shipments. that's not a deal breaker at all, and considering space for 10 hdd's as it is, for most ppl no prob at all. but if you are using this case for a media storage server (like me) it might create some initial trouble. i have to find place rite now for 18 hdd's - you see my problem i guess. solved the prob temp. by using old drive cages i had laying around. but, considering the (rather unwanted) side-window it is not great ;). hope they are able to supply more cages etc. soon and hopefully at a reasonable price-point.

as for your questions 2 and 3:

2- worked for me, mocking it up to answer your question. i personally have no fan's mounted there. not the best place to create airflow. i am more than happy at the moment with having 3x top out + 3x bottom out, with 1x back out, all aircooled for my server setup. keeps it at ambient temps inside with passive intake to front and right side being seemingly sufficent.

3- as for #3 i dont really get the point of your question. some simple math should answer that + a look in the online manual. if you are not completely technically challanged, a look at the case pics tells you as well. btw, if you have a hard time to grasp dimensions, variations with various sized front covers etc. - this is most likely not the rite case for you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello LSDeep,

thank you for your answer.

What I meant by 3. is that you can't shift the front panel and a DVD drive one bay down as you got only one 1bay plate.

1u_missing_core_w100.png

For me the answer to my question 3. is no longer required as I am going to install 2 360 radis into the tower.

BTW the Core W100 just arrived last week and the white version looks very nice!

DSC00359.JPGDSC00363.JPG

i  see what your point was. i apologize for being condescending before. i just didn't even think about  moving the 'control' down a slot. i am sure you have a reason for doing so ;).

btw, the case looks awesome in white/ off-white! just do a little re-spray in some areas to make it look perfect! actually, if you have any money left/ to burn - spend it on stripping and powder-coating!!! trust me . it will change the home-spray good looking job to something awesome.

cheers, LSDeep

When I bought mine white was not an option  :unsure:

I am doing Hydrographics on my outerskins

Also regarding the LED pannel behind the door.

yes you can change the LEDs to red, I did.

just take the assemb ly apart and swap out the LEDs

I also put all my drives old school style behind the front pannel and need to try and get one more hanging bracket from Thermaltake

I have on top slot is my ASUS Overclock Remote Pannel with display. Below that is the I/O w100 pannel.

I sleaved all the wires on the I/O pannel as one bundle  and used a cable retractor on the ASUS Remote so I got it so I can pop it out the front 5.25 shell that it sits in and flip it up onto the top of the case. I had to recess both those items back half way into the case becase I add 1/4" plexiglass window in front on the front pannel  and made holes and slots to get to everything throught the pannel and remove all those front air filter things.  I also moved that light panel to the front pannel because I put cabinet hinges on that side of the front pannel so now it''s a third door and its loaded to spring out when opening and has a damper to close itself. I also need one of those handles like that are on the side pannels for the front door and two more of their hinges for the top pannel to make all the pannels into doors

I don't like front pnl rads nor fans on the bottom. I will be mounting 2 560 rads 30mm thick with 8 140 fans 15mm thick on the side behind the MOBO. yep you right about being tight back there but I am going to use sheet metal to seal off the top of the MOBO plate so the backside is independant from the rest of the case and pull air in from the top pnl for the rads will always get clean cool air.

OK Papa's gonna shut up now.. haha  :D

@ papa smurf

wow, quite some modding going on at your end :). for me it is a media server case, supposed to hold (at the moment) 17 hdd's. unfortunately, TT is not anywhere close to be able to sell/ ship additional hdd cages according to customer service :( !!!

so at the moment i just rigged some old roswill hdd cages to the front, fits ok once you remove the (way to noisy anyway) fans from the front and mount them to the fan brackets. can't really sidemount cages in this case if you need access to swap/ remove/ etc hdd's - you blocking the space to pull/ add hdd's from the back. works for me rite now (as a temp solution), the announcement that it might take several month to make additional cages available for retail annoyed me a bit. so basically my whole server is kinda temp. rigged at the moment, with minimum cable routing, min. needed hdd's in etc. - i just don"t want to do the whole 'proper' job twice.

as for lina.inverse' case, i dont think that came in white - i have to say it looks nice. if you look at the upper and lower door edges, you see some black edging through at the inside (spraying job - all good, you wouldn't see that with the doors closed), also right door inside panel seems to be black (makes for a nice contrast), so are the mobo slot covers and the 'control panel' front plate at this point. so, i would say the paint job was his ;). actually if my case wouldn't find a home in a storeroom, i would poss go for a complete chrome job on it :)

anyway, keep me/ us updated how your pursue of added brackets and cages goes! would be interested what you might get told.

cheers, L

• 2 weeks later...

For all interested how I got the Core W100 white. I have used Plasti Dip for it. I purchased 6 spray cans and sprayed all relevant and visible areas with 3-4 layers white.

What I can say 6 spray cans are the absolute minimum. I would say you need 9-10 cans for all pieces. As more layers you spary, less fragile is Plasti Dip.

@ papa smurf

wow, quite some modding going on at your end :). for me it is a media server case, supposed to hold (at the moment) 17 hdd's. unfortunately, TT is not anywhere close to be able to sell/ ship additional hdd cages according to customer service :( !!!

so at the moment i just rigged some old roswill hdd cages to the front, fits ok once you remove the (way to noisy anyway) fans from the front and mount them to the fan brackets. can't really sidemount cages in this case if you need access to swap/ remove/ etc hdd's - you blocking the space to pull/ add hdd's from the back. works for me rite now (as a temp solution), the announcement that it might take several month to make additional cages available for retail annoyed me a bit. so basically my whole server is kinda temp. rigged at the moment, with minimum cable routing, min. needed hdd's in etc. - i just don"t want to do the whole 'proper' job twice.

as for lina.inverse' case, i dont think that came in white - i have to say it looks nice. if you look at the upper and lower door edges, you see some black edging through at the inside (spraying job - all good, you wouldn't see that with the doors closed), also right door inside panel seems to be black (makes for a nice contrast), so are the mobo slot covers and the 'control panel' front plate at this point. so, i would say the paint job was his ;). actually if my case wouldn't find a home in a storeroom, i would poss go for a complete chrome job on it :)

anyway, keep me/ us updated how your pursue of added brackets and cages goes! would be interested what you might get told.

cheers, L

yeah I am also waiting on many parts including the same brackets. your refering to the bracket that supports two hdd slide in drive carriers? The really should give four of them in the kit so you can mount eight total drives in slide in brackets. What really gets me is who the #### engineered this drive bay system must be on Crack or the project got cut due to the fact that the designer quit his job before they got done cause  he had to have his hemmoroids removed! Why have slide in drives that are not Hot Swapable? So you got a slide in carrier that connects you to nothing. To pull a drive you got to open the case and remove cables first? Sorry but I have to laugh. I would assume most people use SATA drives  or occasional SAS. So why didn't Tt use a backplane system? Well mine is totally Hot Swap modified.

I found backplanes and  fabricated my own  backplane retainer to support eight SATA drives. So my SATA cables all plug into the backplanes and the drives can be pulled straight out and replaced by just slide it in and you good to go. I might have to start selling these to W100/200 case owners.. LOL