Riing Plus TT Premium Edition (16.8 Million colors) software help

techbird

I am need of assistance with my new Riing Plus TT Premium Edition fans, controllers, and software.

I have purchased both the 140mm and 120mm three fans packs that included the controllers.  And, I am planning to pimp out my old Chaser MK-1 case. This system contains the following:

RYZEN 1800X

ASUS CrossHair VI Hero Motherboard ( newest BIOS version 1002)

OCZ/Toshiba RD400 NVMe Drive

ASUS STRIX RX480 8GB Overclocked edition

NZXT Kraken X62  (which will receive 2 of the 140mm Riing Fans

G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz C16 DDR4

OCZ ZX 1000W 80+ Gold power supply

I have the system setup and running stable on a  fresh install of Windows 10 Anniversary Edition

The Riing Plus Software version 1.02 is installed.

The software however has a weird issue.  the Icon shows up on the task bar but cannot access the software to control the fans and lights.  If I unplug the controller from my USB the software will run and seems to work except for not communicating with the controller and fans because the controller is unplugged.  When I plug the controller in the program locks up.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the software many times. 

I have tried plugging the controller in with a different micro-USB connected  from a rear USB 2.0 and 3.0 port. (My Kreken X62 came with a faulty cable and had to be replaced with the one from my old H115i that was in my old system.)

I have tried removing all NZXT and ASUS software to see if it was a conflict.

I have tried setting the audio to 5.1 and 7.1 settings (As some users here have stated fixed their issues.)

I have determined that windows is recognizing that something is plugged in when I connect the USB cable to the controller.  (It makes the chime you here when you plug in USB devices. It chimes twice)  And, there are no signs in the device manager of issues with the device.  It adds two entries under the HID list when connected.

I have tried with all 3 140mm fans connected and with 0 fans connected and everywhere in between.

The fans spin but and light up with a rotating rainbow effect. but that is it since I have cannot control the fans with the software.  Other people are posting here that their light up all red just out of the box my as stated do not.   Maybe that is only for the 256 color version i do not know.

I am still waiting on the 120mm kit to arrive and plan on trying the controller from it to see if it is a bad controller. 

But while I am waiting I was wandering is their a special software for the the 16.8 Million color version vs. the 256 color version?   And Maybe I have the wrong software. 

Or maybe it is incompatible with the Ryzen boards and processors.  Also, I tried this on an ASUS Prime X370-Pro with the same processor on a Noctua air cooler, a Sapphire R9-285 graphics card,  and the NVMe drive from this build and had the same results.

If any one has any ideas I have not tried can you please let me know. 

Thanks in advanced for any help that you can provide.

I have almost the same setup as yours and have the same problem as yours. The only difference with my build and yours is I got 32gb g.skill 2400 rams and asus rog gtx 1080.

So have almost identical software with the exact same issue with the software.

Guess I'm not alone after all.

Try leave the software on and play a game. Your pc will crash. Like shutdown crash. I download and uninstall atleast 50 times for the past 5-6 days. And I also tried the way you try. Coz we are took the same suggestions from the same forum lol

What a stupid control software.

I have almost the same setup as yours and have the same problem as yours. The only difference with my build and yours is I got 32gb g.skill 2400 rams and asus rog gtx 1080.

So have almost identical software with the exact same issue with the software.

Guess I'm not alone after all.

Try leave the software on and play a game. Your pc will crash. Like shutdown crash. I download and uninstall atleast 50 times for the past 5-6 days. And I also tried the way you try. Coz we are took the same suggestions from the same forum lol

What a stupid control software.

I disconnect the riing controller when I am not trying to get it to work, I do not know if this will crash my system yet. 

My 120mm Riing Plus Premium fans were delivered today So when I get home from work I will try swapping the controller and see if the one that came with the 140mm fans was bad or not.  I will also try to see if this crashes my system as well.

If the crash you are referring to is not a a BSOD crash. And does Weird things like restarting directly into BIOS or changing the system time in BIOS and causing the TIME ZONE setting in WINDOWS 10 to revert to pacific time when you know you set it to central time then check which ports you have your HDD/SSD's connected to.

I have discovered that SATA 1 and 2 come from the RYZEN chip with the NVMe drive  and not the x370 chipset.  RYZEN has a strange setup creating certain  conditions for what can be conneted.

RYZEN only supports 24 PCIE 3.0 Lanes. 

16 are for Graphics cards either 1 X16 or 2 at X8 for your SLI/Crossfire setups.

4 go to the X370 Chip set

4 are left for sata, PCIE or NVMe

of these 4 you are allowed the following configurations

1 NVMe drive at 3.0X4 Mode and nothing else

1 NVME drive at 2.0x4  with either 2 additional PCIE Lanes or 2 SATA III Drives.

So, if you run the NVMe at 3.0x4 mode  then using the SATA 1 and 2 will overload the processor. If set to auto in bios for the NVMe mode the NVMe drive wil operate at 2.0x4 mode allowing for the SATA III ports or allowing for 2 PCIE 3.0 x1 slots. The OCZ RD400 NVMe dirve does not like running a 2.0x4 for some reason, which was causing the crashes. By moving my sata hdds to ports 3 thru 8, I have completely solved this problem.

It took me several days of swapping things out to discover this.  I was beginning to think that my 1000 Watt power supply was not able to power all of the LED and causing the voltage to drop to the motherboard ( I have basically gone RGB Crazy with this system). Trying a 1200 Watt power supply did not yeild any results. Changed from my Kraken to a Noctua Air Cooler, had no effect.  Running on one stick of memory at the default 2133 speed did nothing, It was not until I removed my HDDs leaving just the NVMe drive did I get it stable.  My HDDs had been in my old FX-9590 system for about 9 months and had never given me any trouble. And worked fine on the PRIME X370-Pro board that I bought to check the parts bought for his build while my CrossHair VI Hero was on back order and my time to return stuff to amazon and new egg was rapidly approaching. Tried Placing just the HDD back into the system brought back the problem.  I thought that maybe the port was bad and moved the HDD to the port below the one that it was in which happened to be port #3 and the problem did not return.

No forums that I looked at had any reference to this restart problem. I went to AMDs website and looked at the technical specifications of the processor and the chip set before I understood what was going on. Initial reviews of the CrossHair VI Hero board stated that all SATA ports came from the X370 chipset.  According o AMD the X370 chip set only has support for 4 SATA and 1 SATA EXpress (or 2 additional SATA) for a total 6 SATA ports. So, the other 2 have to be coming from the RYZEN Processor, since WIndows does not report any addition SATA controllers.

No change with the different controller. 

However, It could still be the controller as the 120mm set i just received that was suppose to be new was apparently a returned one as the box seals had been cut.

Yes leaving the tt software in the task bar does crash my system.

I also noticed that of the videos online where the software is running they are on Intel processors and not AMD.  I wander if this is due to the temperature reporting software not reading the correct location for the RYZEN processors. Several of the monitoring software out have not been updated for RYZEN yet.

Has anyone got these working on RYZEN yet? If so what board, what bios, etc?

OK! I have it Running!

I thin that there is a file missing from the install.

1.  Remove the program and restart the computer.

2.  Install version 2.1.4 of the non-plus version of the software.  It runs but cannot control the plus version. It installs what is needed to make the plus version work.

3.  Leave this version on the system but you do not have to run it.

4.  Install the plus version 1.02

5.  After completing the install, run it if you did not tell to run upon exiting the installer.  If not set to start with windows you must manually start it. If it is set to start with windows program will load just like a startup program.

6.  Once the icon appears in the task bar it will take about 5-10 seconds  for it to establish communications with the controller.

7.  Then you can right click on the icon to open the program screen.

The lighting effects are not like you see in the videos.  It is almost as if they sped the video up to make the spped of the light look faster.

With the fans set to PWM Mode they ramp up and down with no way to set the fan curve.  If you turn off PWM Mode and set to performance mode you can get them to full speed.  they are completely silent on full speed.  If you do not press save after setting up they will default back to default when you shut down the computer.

Yeah, I was able to but it is crashing my CAM software on my Kraken X62 and my ASUS AURA  Software and the actual LEDs on my TridentZ RGB are affect by this. 

I have not heard anything about a hotfix,  no one from Thermal-take respondes to my inquiries and the posts here on the forum.

The Steps I used are listed above it evolves installing software for the non-plus version with the plus version.  which has a critical incompatibility with the corsair Link software.  One thing that I have noticed is that one solution that works for some may not work for others.  So keep looking on hear if my solution doesn't work for you.  In addition to fan connectivity problems there are also compatibility concerns with different components and software.

Forget what i said Thermal-take just updated to a version 1.0.5 which broke my fix now none of it works again.  Is there a way to prevent the software from auto updating? so I can get back halfway working again.

Sorry for the delay! Expected emails when you replied and received nothing :/

I have yet to try your solution but feel it wouldn't have worked for me regardless. I cant open the software, when I do it appears in system tray but the only thing that makes it open is if i unplug the controller from the mobo. Replugging it in makes the software hang.

Do you have the plus or premium version? 

Forget what i said Thermal-take just updated to a version 1.0.5 which broke my fix now none of it works again.  Is there a way to prevent the software from auto updating? so I can get back halfway working again.

Also for this issue, I think you should just reinstall the software using the original setup you downloaded and cancel any updates! Sorry I cant be of more help, I cant  get the software open at all to even give some advice

• 2 weeks later...

I have had the same issues as others where the Riing Plus software fails to detect or control the the new fans.  However, the weird thing is that I happen to load (by mistake I have to admit) the Premium RGB software during my testing and it finds and controls the fans fine.  You don't get any of the cool functions of the Plus fans like individual led control, etc but you can do anything the RGB's do.  I tried reinstalling the Plus after I got the other to work but the Plus software still shows 0 rpm and obviously doesn't detect the fans.  

Short version - for me it's not a hardware issue since the wrong software can control the fans.

17 hours ago, Chumley said:

I have had the same issues as others where the Riing Plus software fails to detect or control the the new fans.  However, the weird thing is that I happen to load (by mistake I have to admit) the Premium RGB software during my testing and it finds and controls the fans fine.  You don't get any of the cool functions of the Plus fans like individual led control, etc but you can do anything the RGB's do.  I tried reinstalling the Plus after I got the other to work but the Plus software still shows 0 rpm and obviously doesn't detect the fans.  

Short version - for me it's not a hardware issue since the wrong software can control the fans.

Hi Chumley! I'm glad you had luck getting some sort of control over your fans! Unfortunately I'm still in the same boat where I have no control. Even using the older software version. I'm strongly considering RMAing these fans and just grabbing the NZXT Aer fans, quite fed up that TT havent fixed this issue after almost 2 months!

On 5/4/2017 at 4:49 PM, bakednotfried101 said:

i have the exact same problem but on a intel system...

Baked, a new software update has been released and it may help with the issue. The TT rep told me that my issue is Ryzen based so there's no hope for me yet. Unfortunately, I gave up. Have just submitted an RMA request for a full refund.
Have also made the switch to 6 NZXT Aer RGBs and they are functioning as expected!

I think I found a solution for this problem guys! I haven't seen anyone else mention it on here. I had the exact problem as you guys with my RGB Plus rings/software. After tons of disconnecting and troubleshooting I found somewhat of a solution to getting the software to actually open up and allow the full customization of the RGB Plus fans on Ryzen.

Heres what I did;

Uninstalled and Reinstalled the Plus version of the software. Shut down the PC. While off, I disconnected the provided microUSB/9-pin USB header connector from the controller and motherboard. I then took a normal micro USB cable (phone charger etc.) and connected it to the Tt controller. I took that cord and plugged it into any USB port (2.0/3.0 worked) on my back I/O plate. I had to run the cord through my case n out the back to make it look nice. (I think this is called a pass-through?) I then booted up the pc again and opened the software. This somehow made the software actually load open, not just onto the task bar, and recognize the controller and my fans. After this I was able to customize all my LEDs and fans as advertised. Settings even saved after another boot.

While the solution isn't as elegant as having an internal USB header connection, this actually worked for me!

My mobo is AsRock AB350 Fatality with Ryzen 1600. And software was on v1.0.7 at the moment.

Let me know if you guys have tried his out and have any luck!

i have tried uninstalling old version (1.0.5) and installing the new version (1.0.7) and no luck, it does have a warning to tell you wether your fans are connected or not now. i have tried plugging it in with my android charger into the front usb 2 and 3 headers and my back motherboard port ones but it all resolves with is "USB device not recognized".

Im trying to refund these fans as they haven't had a working software for 3 months now, but thermaltake arent responding to any of my emails regarding a manufacturer support ticket number so i cant refund these easier. plus they are just not responding in the first place to anything i send them about the fans not working. talk about manufacturer support eh..

I know this goes against the purpose of the product, but let me ask you something, try taking the controller hub out of its plastic box by the screws holding it in, and then plug in your fans and USB cable. Does this fix any of your issues with the software seeing the fans >? Let me know because TT had an issue with the USB cable not being the right head length to fully make contact during manufacturing, so this can easily be fixed with a replacement new cable and controller. I had the same issue as you guys but took the controller out of the box and this fixed my problem. I also removed some excess white glue behind the USB connection. I even mounted a naked controller behind my case with velcro and had no issues with shorting out or anything. let me know if this fixes any of your guy's problems. I had the new TT premium fans, and as far as I know only effects the new ones.

Yea I saw that solution on this forum as well but the only thing I am afraid of is voiding the warranty.  Im still undecided if I want to return the fans or not since they sort of work for me now. I have tried contacting Tt for replacement cord and support but they haven't gotten back to me either.

I also found out that only my USB 3.0 back I/O ports work with the phone charger cord im using right now. Weird because its just a microUSB 2.0 cable.  Any idea why that might be anyone?

On 5/13/2017 at 3:20 AM, Jedson3614 said:

I know this goes against the purpose of the product, but let me ask you something, try taking the controller hub out of its plastic box by the screws holding it in, and then plug in your fans and USB cable. Does this fix any of your issues with the software seeing the fans >? Let me know because TT had an issue with the USB cable not being the right head length to fully make contact during manufacturing, so this can easily be fixed with a replacement new cable and controller. I had the same issue as you guys but took the controller out of the box and this fixed my problem. I also removed some excess white glue behind the USB connection. I even mounted a naked controller behind my case with velcro and had no issues with shorting out or anything. let me know if this fixes any of your guy's problems. I had the new TT premium fans, and as far as I know only effects the new ones.

yeah ive already done that from your thread and its just mounted naked at the back of my case too but how am i supposed to remove that hard white glue? there is quite a bit but it doesn't look like its conflicting with anything.

You might not have to, I'm just saying I did and my item started to work. I too ka small flat head screwdriver and very, very carefully edged some away. Do your fans get recognized from the software now though that you took it out of the case? There are a few reason why this would be and I can explain why if you would like.

On 5/12/2017 at 5:06 PM, Blueknives said:

Yea I saw that solution on this forum as well but the only thing I am afraid of is voiding the warranty.  Im still undecided if I want to return the fans or not since they sort of work for me now. I have tried contacting Tt for replacement cord and support but they haven't gotten back to me either.

I also found out that only my USB 3.0 back I/O ports work with the phone charger cord im using right now. Weird because its just a microUSB 2.0 cable.  Any idea why that might be anyone?

Hey, I can understand your situation, there is a problem with the original shipment of these items and the USB cable not seating correctly and going all the way in, which I actually helped contribute to the solution of this problem. Thermaltake has been shipping out any affected customers with new control boxes and USB cables that correct the issue, and I received mine and it did, in fact, correct the problem. So if you set your free replacement up you have nothing to lose until ti arrives so ti will not void any warranty for you in this case.

I work with the Thermaltake team quite a bit and write reviews for them as well on some fo their products, so I can help you get in touch with the right people if need be, your best bet though is to call customer support and request one of these replacements. 

16 hours ago, Jedson3614 said:

You might not have to, I'm just saying I did and my item started to work. I too ka small flat head screwdriver and very, very carefully edged some away. Do your fans get recognized from the software now though that you took it out of the case? There are a few reason why this would be and I can explain why if you would like.

yeah ive already done everything it has been out of the case for a month im just going to refund because thermaltake arent helping

On 5/16/2017 at 9:56 AM, Jedson3614 said:

If any of you need help with any of their products I can assist you here on the forum! I work with tons of their cases, fans, and coolers. 

Hi I would like to see if I could get a replacement USB cable then but not sure where to take that inquiry for fast results? 

Move already tried to contact thermaltake for help but they haven't responded and it's been like a month or so. So far the only solution is my Back I/O USB 3.0 pass through with a normal micro USB charger. 

Please help I'm so frustrated that there isn't any solution/help from official thermaltake