USB device over current status detected

RodgerC

Just put my Thermaltake View 71 RGB Edition case together, but replaced the stock Riing fans with the Riing Plus Premium fans.  When I powered up my maching, I got a message "USB device over current status detected will shut down in 15 secons..." and couldn't get past that.

When I disconnect the fan controller from the motherboard, everything starts up fine, the fans run, etc.

Would this indicate a bad controller, or did I plug it into the wrong USB on the motherboard?

Hi rodgerC,

Make sure you plugged into the correct USB header port, especially not the firewire or others that could have damaged it, hard to say without your confirm.

The fans and everything will work without the connection to the MB which is great for troubleshooting, but please also check the connection on the MB is working properly.

Alternatively you can take a Micro USB to USB cable and plug it into the Controller and Back USB on the I/O of the MB and bypass the header to see if it works.

if you keep getting this same message, its likely warranty time or just swap them out.