Tt Leo

22 hours ago, View71 said:

Hmm, ya, I see - why not just use small cable ties to fix the fans and you only need 2 ties (diagonal mount) for each fan.

Thanks for looking, and for your response confirming what I saw, View71.  

I don't have small enough cable ties to fit through the fan holes, but I also don't see holes outside the ventilation holes to make that work.  If I had double-sided tape I could have tried that solution, but instead...

I decided to move the fan one row of ventilation holes away from the front so I could use case fan screws.  But that couldn't work either, because then the other side of the fan's holes were blocked by the other row the feet block!  

So I moved the fans two rows away from the front; fortunately my PSU is modular, but I'm still concerned with how little room there is next to the PSU for my cables.  I'm optimistic though; and now those cables will be air-cooled!

CoreV71bottomFans-bot.thumb.jpg.42118a3d5a95c56480b0495ade2eae58.jpg

CoreV71bottomFans-top.thumb.jpg.925c4457bbf8291e9481b19c5ed2750c.jpg

I took your suggestion to use only two screws per fan, and you're right, they still seem very secure.  (I'll probably use four screws/fan anyway when I upgrade these two fans 2021Q2 when Noctua's NF-A12x25 comes out in black.)

Incidentally, these fan positions are important to me because I want positive pressure in the case.

just use what fits your purpose and be creative when mounting - those fans are all low speed fans hence no noteworthy torsion force on the screws. Just make sure there is nuf negative pressure in the case to remove the (hot) air b4 you get an hot air oven :)

be well..

I think my negative pressure is good.  To help make sure I upgraded the rear fan to an Arctic P14 to go with the 280mm rad in the top (which I anticipate also upgrading the fans on, when Noctua's next gen 140mm fan comes out 2021Q4.  (I'm leaving the front 200mm fans stock, since TT designed the front panel so they're the only 200mm fans in the universe that fit.  Grrrr.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody i have a small problem with my core v71 tempered glass edition, my power led goes of sometimes ore going dull power on the pc. Fans and everything are working great but my power led is going on or off sometimes, when i opened the top case and checked the board i noticed that the led is very loose those two pins that holding the led are very wiggle. Now my question is can i glue that specific part to get it sturdy again, because i know 100% sure thats the problem the loose power led.

Ps sorry for my terrible english, but my question is can i use superglue to tight up the led or can i just pull out the light to get rid of it. Because i am a bit worried it wil shorting the board on the lon run or even damage my motherbord, i cant seperate the led and the power itself because it is using one wire if i am correct. I made a arrow to what the problem is the power led is wiggly when touched, and when i touch it the led goes dull or bright.

Sometimes when i play videogames it also goes off because heat is rising up the case into the led and makes it unstable because its loose. I cant find a replacement part for this case and its only 2 months or so old. I can fix it it think with superglue but i am not sure if it wil damage the led even more. Need some advice or support from thermaltake or u guys.

v71.jpg

*Installing my 280mm AIO*

I bought an NZXT Kraken X63.

First I tried installing it above the steel top of the case (in the removable plastic section).  That didn't work because the top wouldn't close (I think because the AIO was too wide; I think a 360mm AIO would have fit up there).

Next I tried installing it at the top of the steel section of the case:

With the hoses on the end of the AIO towards the front of the case, I would have needed to remove the cage that added the 9th HDD tray.  
With the hoses on the end of the AIO towards the back of the case, it fit (quite tightly) against the top HDD cage.

I also noted that I do *not* have the option to install an extra pair of fans onto the AIO for 'push-pull'; this is because of RAM clearance in my motherboard.

My RAM height is 34.1mm; my motherboard is an ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/15/2020 at 1:59 AM, coyote said:

In case I'm not the only one who wondered if the Core V71 would accommodate three 3-HDD cages, I'm excited to report it does!

To do so of course I needed to get a third 3-HDD cage to swap with the top 2-HDD cage. 

Then it was simple and easy:

I removed the bracket for the lower optical drive bay (it was held on securely by only 4 easily accessible screws).

Then I slid the third 3-HDD cage into place.  Only the lower (not the upper) pair of thumbscrews attaching the top 3-HDD cage  fit the holes, but I'm thrilled to report that since it is also on rails, it is (like the other HDD cages) absolutely rigid, it doesn't move at all.

So now, exactly as I had hoped, I have traded my bottom optical bay for a ninth HDD bay!

It looks like I have also made it so that a 360mm radiator wouldn't fit on the top of the case (though a 280mm one will still easily fit).

TTCoreV71-9HDDTrays.jpg

TTCoreV71-9HDDTrayLeftovers.jpg

In case I'm not the only one who wondered if the Core V71 would accommodate three 3-HDD cages, I'm excited to report it does!

To do so of course I needed to get a third 3-HDD cage to swap with the top 2-HDD cage. 

I removed the bracket for the lower optical drive bay (it was held on securely by only 4 easily accessible screws).

Then I slid the third 3-HDD cage into place.  Only the lower (not the upper) pair of thumbscrews attaching the top 3-HDD cage  fit the holes, but I'm thrilled to report that since it is also on rails, it is (like the other HDD cages) absolutely rigid, it doesn't move at all.

So now, exactly as I had hoped, I have traded my bottom optical bay for a ninth HDD bay!

It looks like I have also made it so that a 360mm radiator wouldn't fit on the top of the case (though a 280mm one will still easily fit).

TTCoreV71-9HDDTrays.jpg

TTCoreV71-9HDDTrays.jpg

Hi Coyote, whilst searching the net, I came across this post. I wonder if you could point me in the right direction as to where you sourced these drive cages ? I have just bought a view 71 case and it has arrived with no cages at all  !

Hoping you can help,

Regards

Ray Stanley.

• 1 month later...

So I just noticed that my top 200mm fan was loud.  Kind of a lower pitched rumble noise when on high.  on low speed, the sound wasn't too bad.

I tried resting the top fan on top of rubber washers, and it was still loud.

However, if I lift up the fan slightly, once I get about 2 inches above the case, the noise drops down dramatically once it's bringing in free air.

I'm wondering if the fan is dying, or if it's something about mounting it on the top of the case?

(What I have not done yet is tried mounting a different 200m fan on top, either buying a new one or relocating one from the front.  To be honest, I don't think I really need the extra cooling at the moment and I was in a hurry to get the system back up)

@EasyRhino
Since you hear more noise when it's mounted, maybe there's something loose in the upper part of the case?  (Maybe tape something that vibrates to it...like shaver?)

Possibly it already had been loose though, and a new vibration by the fan made it noticable?

In other words, it could be a case issue and/or a fan issue.

• 2 months later...

HDDs that don't fit cages

I've recently acquired a hard drive that doesn't fit the Core V71's beloved tool-free hard drive cages.  Both because:

1.  The plastic thing that snaps into two holes on the side, only has one hole in the side of the hard drive to snap into.  To solve this, I used screws like in the old days for this HDD.

2.  The two small plastic nubs that stick up from the cage's floor into the bottom of the hard drive, don't have holes in the bottom of the hard drive to stick up into, so I clipped most of them off with a wire cutter.  I was not thrilled to have to do this, so I wonder:

Is there another compatible hard drive cage I could acquire that I would not have to modify any more of my current cages?

FYI, the incompatible hard drive is a WD Gold 18TB (my 12TB version is compatible) model WD181KRYZ.

CoreV71HDD-CageIncompatability.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/28/2021 at 9:04 AM, coyote said:

inxompatible hard drive is a WD Gold 18TB (my 12TB version is compatible) model WD181KRYZ.

The new larger capacity drives have moved around or removed their mounting screw locations, and it causes problems with other cases too.  I don't have a fix, but you're not alone.

In other news, do folks have recommendations for other 200mm fans that fit this case?  I don't need it to work with the existing fan controller, I just need it to fit in the mounting holes.

• 6 months later...

Hi folks,

I've had the V71 since it came out and for quite some years now have been wondering if it's possible to replace the front I/O with more up-to-date tech, instead of the old USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports, but keeping the mic and headphone ports?

Thanks in advance!

On 9/10/2021 at 4:52 AM, Ray Stanley said:

Hi Coyote, whilst searching the net, I came across this post. I wonder if you could point me in the right direction as to where you sourced these drive cages ? I have just bought a view 71 case and it has arrived with no cages at all  !

Hoping you can help,

Regards

Ray Stanley.

Thermaltake saw my earlier post and PM-ed me and sent me one free.  I'll PM you.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to dismount my top fan from my Core V71 to replace it with 2 140mm fans that are faster and well, exhausts even more air

The thing that i'm worried about is that: If i dismount the top fan , will it might make the front fans to not work?. I mean, i actually don't know if the top fan has a separate connection to the case's top "mini motherboard" or if it's connected to the front one, meaning i'm screwed up or not..

Any help?. The manual DOESN'T HELPS.

The replacement fans are 2 BeQuiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm 1600RPM PWM

6 minutes ago, DV2FOX said:

I'd like to dismount my top fan from my Core V71 to replace it with 2 140mm fans that are faster and well, exhausts even more air

The thing that i'm worried about is that: If i dismount the top fan , will it might make the front fans to not work?. I mean, i actually don't know if the top fan has a separate connection to the case's top "mini motherboard" or if it's connected to the front one, meaning i'm screwed up or not..

Any help?. The manual DOESN'T HELPS.

The replacement fans are 2 BeQuiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm 1600RPM PWM

I replaced my top fan with two 140mm fans (on a 280mm radiator); there were no issues affecting the front fans (I don't remember the connection specifics).

1 hour ago, coyote said:

I replaced my top fan with two 140mm fans (on a 280mm radiator); there were no issues affecting the front fans (I don't remember the connection specifics).

I tooked a moment to open the case and noticed that the way the original fan is connected like is the same as my 2nd TT 200mm fan ontop that i added some time ago, but the default one is a 3 pin while the new one is a 4 pin connected to a 1 to 2 way cable extension because "it was short".

I disconnected the fan from the mini motherboard (ofcourse turn off the tower first) and it stopped working but the rest worked, so i guess it should be easy (Aka not connected to any PSU molex = No problem).

The question now are the mounting holes, since the new 200m fan came with different bolts than the original fan, but the BQ! fans comes with a "stick bolt" with a rubber circle (or not) to mount, so i guess it should be ok to mount easily on the top area without making em wobble?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/18/2021 at 11:47 AM, coyote said:

Thanks for looking, and for your response confirming what I saw, View71.  

I don't have small enough cable ties to fit through the fan holes, but I also don't see holes outside the ventilation holes to make that work.  If I had double-sided tape I could have tried that solution, but instead...

I decided to move the fan one row of ventilation holes away from the front so I could use case fan screws.  But that couldn't work either, because then the other side of the fan's holes were blocked by the other row the feet block!  

So I moved the fans two rows away from the front; fortunately my PSU is modular, but I'm still concerned with how little room there is next to the PSU for my cables.  I'm optimistic though; and now those cables will be air-cooled!

CoreV71bottomFans-bot.thumb.jpg.42118a3d5a95c56480b0495ade2eae58.jpg

CoreV71bottomFans-top.thumb.jpg.925c4457bbf8291e9481b19c5ed2750c.jpg

I took your suggestion to use only two screws per fan, and you're right, they still seem very secure.  (I'll probably use four screws/fan anyway when I upgrade these two fans 2021Q2 when Noctua's NF-A12x25 comes out in black.)

Incidentally, these fan positions are important to me because I want positive pressure in the case.

How'd you go plugging the cables in the bottom row with the fans there?

The legs/stands are fairly good, but I had been looking at trying to get a stand for it to be placed on for additional room below it, but after going through pages and pages of them on different websites, I couldn't find one that checked all the boxes for me.

On 12/29/2021 at 4:04 AM, coyote said:

I've recently acquired a hard drive that doesn't fit the Core V71's beloved tool-free hard drive cages.  Both because:

1.  The plastic thing that snaps into two holes on the side, only has one hole in the side of the hard drive to snap into.  To solve this, I used screws like in the old days for this HDD.

2.  The two small plastic nubs that stick up from the cage's floor into the bottom of the hard drive, don't have holes in the bottom of the hard drive to stick up into, so I clipped most of them off with a wire cutter.  I was not thrilled to have to do this, so I wonder:

Is there another compatible hard drive cage I could acquire that I would not have to modify any more of my current cages?

FYI, the incompatible hard drive is a WD Gold 18TB (my 12TB version is compatible) model WD181KRYZ.

I also had issues when trying to use my 18TB WD which was shucked. I didn't worry about trying to get all those screws in from the bottom, not that I'm sure I could have if I tried.

My problems were:

1. The large HDD wouldn't actually snugly into the bay, I really had to force it as the plastic on the tray bent. Unfortunately though, the bending only helped line up the screw on one side I believe. (I did this a few months ago so my memory might not be 100%) 

2. The other big annoying issue was sliding the tray into the bay. First I tried sliding it into the two-slot bay as I thought that bay would be healthier for the drive regarding vibration. It physically cannot fit into the top slot. It'll just fit into the bottom slot, but getting it out back out was extremely difficult. I had to stick a screwdriver in there or something and use it as leverage to push the back down and slide it out, even doing that with multiple tools and being a little scared that I may damage the HDD, it nearly didn't work and I got it out by less than a hair. The key spot to put one of those fat drives is in the middle of the three-slot bay. If you don't have many HDDs at all, you could also possibly test it on the back slot.

On 3/4/2023 at 4:18 AM, Beyond said:

How'd you go plugging the cables in the bottom row with the fans there?

The legs/stands are fairly good, but I had been looking at trying to get a stand for it to be placed on for additional room below it, but after going through pages and pages of them on different websites, I couldn't find one that checked all the boxes for me.

I have been away from my PC for several months, sorry I can't remember anything I didn't write here!

• 6 months later...
On 12/14/2020 at 8:59 PM, coyote said:

TTCoreV71-9HDDTrays.jpg

Where can one purchase the extra drive cages?

• 3 months later...
On 12/29/2021 at 4:04 AM, coyote said:

Oh my ####!! I can't believe bells didn't go off in my head when I read this message on two occasions. This is the third time I've read this thread from front to back.

When I got my first WD 18TB that I put into the HDD bay a couple of years ago, I thought it was the corners that were causing it to stick out improperly, I even got the HDD bay stuck inside the top cage because the top of it curves downwards slightly.

It wasn't until earlier today(about 12hrs ago) that I realized exactly what the issue was when I got two 18TB Exos and took a much better look.
I used two kinds of wire cutters to get rid of the bulk of it, then got my electric screwdriver, and put a head on it with sharp edges to smooth the remaining bit.