DPS G 1050W: 4 pin auxiliary MB connector

Grestorn

I've got an ASUS Rampage V board with the Toughpower DPS-G 1050. 

The board features a 8-pin and another 4-pin auxiliary power connector. Usually, the 8 pin connector is used for power hungry CPUs and OC scenarios, so I connected the included 8-pin cable with the PSU. 

But I do have some stability problems and it has been suggested that connecting the 4 pin connector additionally could improve the stability. Unfortunately, there's just no additional connector available on the PSU. 

I'm not sure if it would make any sense to branch the existing cable to get another 4 pin plug - in the end the power that can be delivered through the cable would be the same. 

What's your opinion on this? Does the 4pin connector make any difference? Should I look for a way to branch the cable?

Hello Grestorn, 

Regarding your question, if you are overclocking and looking for a more stable system overclock, yes the 4 pin connector "could be" more stable.

Most PSU's these days don't come catered for dual CPU systems so I think your best bet would be to try one of these Molex to 4pin adapter which can be found for a couple of bucks online! 

385938_big.jpg

Hello,

If you are talking about EPS cables for the CPU, only the 1 8-pin connector is needed. You will only get a benefit out of an additional EPS connection when doing extreme overclocking, when the CPU is being cooled by LN2. SO it is not likely many will need this.

Now, if this is AUX power for using multiple GPU's configs, you would just use one of the PCI-E cables provided, not EPS.

Let us know if you have any further questions, might want to call your manufacture to ask what the cable is directly for and if it is needed.

If it is CPU stability you are concerned about, it is likely just an adjustment to your OC settings you need to make to get what you want if it can do it.

Hello,

If you are talking about EPS cables for the CPU, only the 1 8-pin connector is needed. You will only get a benefit out of an additional EPS connection when doing extreme overclocking, when the CPU is being cooled by LN2. SO it is not likely many will need this.

Now, if this is AUX power for using multiple GPU's configs, you would just use one of the PCI-E cables provided, not EPS.

Let us know if you have any further questions, might want to call your manufacture to ask what the cable is directly for and if it is needed.

If it is CPU stability you are concerned about, it is likely just an adjustment to your OC settings you need to make to get what you want if it can do it.

I'm talking about the EPS connector. My two GPUs are properly powered using the PCIe connectors. 

I'm not even doing any OC just yet, and the board is still not stable, especially when booting (it is stable after the OS has been loaded though). Actually I don't really think that the 4 pin EPS would make any difference, but I want to rule out any cause that I could resolve easily without swapping the board itself.