Windows DPS G App and TT RGB Plus Software

Blast77

I am using Windows 10 and the TT DPS G App Ver 3.0.2.  I would like to know a few things about how to configure the software:

1.  How can I prevent the program's main window from popping up every time I log in to my PC.  Can it run minimized to tray without opening the window first?  Also, is there a way to prevent the program from running when Windows starts?  I don't see any configuration options. 

2.  I noticed the program is polling my hard drives every second while it's running.  I would like to disable this feature, my system has 30 hard drives, many of them in external enclosures, and the software keeps the activity lights blinking.  How can I disable hard drive monitoring on DPS G in Windows?

I am also using TT RGB Plus in Windows 10.  I have two hubs with 2 LED strips, 3x 140mm fans, and cooling block.  I also have a few questions with this one:

1.  How can I prevent this program from running when Windows starts?  I have unchecked the box in the tray icon pop-up menu yet it is still running every time I start up.

2.  I noticed the program is polling my hard drives every 4 or 5 seconds while it's running.  I would like to disable this feature.  How can I disable hard drive monitoring in TT RGB Plus?  Also, why is it monitoring my hard drives?  It seems this has nothing to do with any of the RGB lighting effects.

Last, a final question.  Is there a software development kit available for the TT RGB features, or a command line interface for Windows where a user could issue commands to control the effects and lighting?  Let me know, thanks.

Hello,

For the DPS G Software, there is no option to disable it on startup. It has to run at boot to be able to setup the reporting the software offers.

If you shut down the software does your HD activity stop? Got any screenshots? What does your task manager show?

For Riing plus, you can disable it to start with windows, right click on the icon by the clock. Also, same as before with your polling concern, I have not had this issue on several systems, something else might be going on you would want to look into.

I will pass this info to our support team as well, any additional information to show this issue is appreciated.

• 1 month later...

With the hard drive polling... imagine I have an idle system with 6x Mediasonic Probox enclosures, 4 drives in each.  There's a light bar across the front with 4 LED lights, one per drive indicating activity.  My PC case also has a hard drive activity light.  When I open the TT RGB app, all 24 lights on the enclosures blink at the same time every 4 seconds or so, along with the hard drive activity light on the PC case.  This happens continuously until I completely exit the TT RGB app.  There is no other piece of software in the system causing this, and it can be reliably reproduced.  Please have a look at your program.  I would at least like to know why it's accessing all the drives every four seconds, but would prefer to be able to disable this feature in that it seems unnecessary for an app that just changes my PC case lighting.  If you're unable to figure this out I think it would be fair to provide some documentation on API/SDK that lets me write my own software that can change the lighting so that I can create something that does not poll my hard drives every 4 seconds.  Thanks.

On 5/18/2018 at 6:19 PM, Blast77 said:

With the hard drive polling... imagine I have an idle system with 6x Mediasonic Probox enclosures, 4 drives in each.  There's a light bar across the front with 4 LED lights, one per drive indicating activity.  My PC case also has a hard drive activity light.  When I open the TT RGB app, all 24 lights on the enclosures blink at the same time every 4 seconds or so, along with the hard drive activity light on the PC case.  This happens continuously until I completely exit the TT RGB app.  There is no other piece of software in the system causing this, and it can be reliably reproduced.  Please have a look at your program.  I would at least like to know why it's accessing all the drives every four seconds, but would prefer to be able to disable this feature in that it seems unnecessary for an app that just changes my PC case lighting.  If you're unable to figure this out I think it would be fair to provide some documentation on API/SDK that lets me write my own software that can change the lighting so that I can create something that does not poll my hard drives every 4 seconds.  Thanks.

Hi, 

Thanks for the feedback, can you confirm what version of the Software you are using?

Please also provide your system Specs and OS version.

TTRGB Plus V 1.1.6, F 2.0.2

Windows 10 Pro, 4x Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400 4GB RAM, Core i7-8700K CPU, Gigabyte Z370XP SLI motherboard, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 SSD, Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 8-Channel SAS/SATA Adapter 

Thermaltake Core V71 Tempered Glass Edition case w/ Toughpower DPS G GB1500w power supply

LED/RGB Accessories:

Pacific Lumi Plus 16.8 Million Colors Magnetic LED Strip 3 Pack
Floe Dual Riing RGB 280 TT Premium Edition AIO Liquid Cooling
2x Riing Plus 20 LED RGB Case Fan TT Premium Edition
Riing Plus 14 LED RGB Case Fan TT Premium Edition

Hard drives:

5x HGST Ultrastar He8 8TB 
1x Seagate 6TB 
6x Mediasonic Probox USB3 HDD Enclosures
  - 20x Seagate Constellation ES.2 3TB 
  - 4x Misc 500GB 

No change with using the new version.  I suspect your software is polling the HWInfo and getting information for every sensor in the system every 4 seconds rather than just the ones it needs... including the information for every single hard drive.  I see that when I click the "Info" link it pulls up all of the HWInfo sensors.

I don't see anything in the TT RGB Plus software that makes use of the hard drive HWInfo other than that info link.  Am I missing something?  The only sensors I see the software making use of would be the system/CPU temperature and FAN RPMs.

There must be a way to shut this off or allow the option of shutting it off... or at least a way for the software to pull only the sensor info that it needs, and only when it needs to, using the HWInfo SDK.  Your software appears to be designed so that it is always running.  As such it's foolish and wasteful for it to be doing anything that is not absolutely necessary, especially every four seconds.

The 6x Proboxes are all connected via USB.  The PCIe Supermicro SAS controller hosts the 5x 8TB and 1x 6TB drives.  Your software does not behave differently whether I have one Probox powered up or all six.  It is still showing activity every four seconds while TT RGB Plus is running, and it stops when I exit the TT RGB Plus.

So then honestly you're telling me that you can't reproduce this problem and see brief drive activity every four seconds while TT RGB Plus is running (and it stops when you exit)?

Am I just a crazy customer seeing blinky drive activity light hallucinations then, who doesn't know anything about anything?  I guess that would be the easiest thing for you to think since it involves less thought and work on your part.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, this software is in fact POLLING the hard disks and there is absolutely NO REASON for this.  I take it as a voilation of system security.  I have the "Floe Riing RGB 360 TT Premium Edition" and have the software version of v 1.2.2 and F 2.0.2

There is absolutely ZERO REASONS this software should be wearing on my hard disks.. AT ALL..   It's only there to control fan speeds, monitor CPU tempratures and change the lighting.  I think I'll be switching to a custom loop from EKWB if Thermaltake can't get their #### together, this is UNACCEPTABLE.

Also, Why is "stunner123" posting SPAM in here???

56 minutes ago, Tecchie said:

So, this software is in fact POLLING the hard disks and there is absolutely NO REASON for this.  I take it as a voilation of system security.  I have the "Floe Riing RGB 360 TT Premium Edition" and have the software version of v 1.2.2 and F 2.0.2

There is absolutely ZERO REASONS this software should be wearing on my hard disks.. AT ALL..   It's only there to control fan speeds, monitor CPU tempratures and change the lighting.  I think I'll be switching to a custom loop from EKWB if Thermaltake can't get their #### together, this is UNACCEPTABLE.

Also, Why is "stunner123" posting SPAM in here???

Hi,

Next next version of the TT RGB Software should resolve the HDD pings, we are testing beta already on this.

I have seen you be very concerned about this, so look forward to your feedback.

Schedule should be ready by the end of this month. 1.2.3 :)

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, phat_toni said:

Just updated to V1.2.3

This issue remains.....

Next version after 1.2.3 will support, sorry if I was not clear. 

New version 1.2.4 will fix the HDD ping issue, my webteam said it should be up today, but I have not seen it yet.

Could go live over the weekend, so check for it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/12/2018 at 9:52 AM, ThermalMike said:

Next version after 1.2.3 will support, sorry if I was not clear. 

New version 1.2.4 will fix the HDD ping issue, my webteam said it should be up today, but I have not seen it yet.

Could go live over the weekend, so check for it.

Guess what?

ISSUE NOT RESOLVED. 

Running version V 1.2.4  F 2.0.2

It doesn't do it right away, but after a couple of minutes, it's still pinging my hard drives.  I have a couple of drives that "park" their heads when they're idle, and this app causes them to flick back onto the disk.  When I close this app out, it stops.  What the #### is this software doing with my drives?  It need NO ACCESS to other drives, yet here it is polling everything still.  This software is made to control USB devices by their identifier, I see this as a HUGE security risk.  Please eliminate the drive polling.

Same here just updated to V 1.2.4, F 2.0.2 - all drives getting pinged every 4 seconds or so just like prior versions.

Even worse, when I close/exit the program now, instead of leaving the lighting profile that was last set, it looks like it switches to a slow wave pattern.

Reverted back to 1.1.7 to avoid the wave pattern problem. 

I'd love to hear the replay of the  meeting where everyone decided switching to the wave pattern after closing the program was a great feature that users would really appreciate.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2018 at 10:58 PM, Tony.P said:

Hi Blast77

TT RGB Plus reads the system temperature include CPU, GPU, memories and HDD.

This is a necessary function.

No, it reading the HDD and system temps isn't needed.  This is a CPU cooler (at least for the FLOE RIING RGB 360 like I have) no product is designed to cool hard drives, so it doesn't need to be accessing my hard drives.   I have used other hardware monitoring utilities in the past that don't hit my drives like this AT ALL.  THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED!!!!!!!

But when I close out the software, the drive polling stops.  and like the poster above said, it goes to some crappy wave pattern or whatever.  Seriously, this software has issues.  It needs to be fixed.  I paid a lot of money for my cooler, $200 USD new.  I expect the software to work a lot better.

• 2 months later...

Yep I get this also.

Seagate Barracuda pro 6TB on a Gigabyte Aorus Master MB.

Rest of the specs on my build blog here.

Sounds so bad I initially thought the HDD had failed., as it makes a similar sound. Closing the app and or tray icon doesnt stop it but closing the exe in task manager does. Totally unusable in its present state. Also the longer you leave it running the polling gets louder and sounds really horrible.

I agree that it doesnt need to poll the HDD and the only interaction I can see between the app and the HDD is for recording which is off by default. 

• 8 months later...

Why does the TT DPS G App constantly cause my mechanical hard drive's heads to hunt at a 1Hz rate?  This is really annoying and isn't good for the longevity of my hardware.  I know that it's the app, because as soon as I exit it from the taskbar, the hard drive heads stop hammering. 

• 2 months later...

As a workaround to stop this constant HDD polling (ridiculous!) - removing  HWiNFO32.dll and HWiNFO64.dll stops the program from non-stop enumerating (and waking-up!) disks . The program is gonna complain about the missing .DLL on start. But the rest of features (energy monitoring, RGB color changing, etc.) operate just fine. How hard is that to turn that useless HDD polling off? Don't tell me that I need this feature - I bought this supply to actually conserve energy, while what it's doing is totally opposite: it keeps unnecessarily waking up my HDDs, causing excessive wear, extra energy drain, and reducing lifespan of my HDDs.. It's quite obvious - you can see that activity in Windows Performance Recorder / Windows Performance Analyzer. A reputable company is not gonna be releasing a software like this..........................................

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am also experiencing this issue with TT RGB Plus 1.3.4 as of 05/30/2020. The work around of deleting the HWiNFO DLL files did work for me, but I agree this is ridiculous and should be fixed by Thermaltake. I have been using your products since the day's of the volcano CPU coolers and this problem has made me seriously consider moving to Corsair or NZXT for my next cooling solution. (currently using a Flow Riing 360 Premium Edition) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2020 at 4:07 PM, biohazard911 said:

I am also experiencing this issue with TT RGB Plus 1.3.4 as of 05/30/2020. The work around of deleting the HWiNFO DLL files did work for me, but I agree this is ridiculous and should be fixed by Thermaltake. I have been using your products since the day's of the volcano CPU coolers and this problem has made me seriously consider moving to Corsair or NZXT for my next cooling solution. (currently using a Flow Riing 360 Premium Edition) 

Same issue. I just uninstalled the software.

• 4 months later...
On 5/30/2020 at 5:07 PM, biohazard911 said:

It is now 10/17/2020 and I just updated to V 1.3.8 F 2.0.2 and the problem STILL Persists. This system runs my Plex server and hosts 4x mechanical hard drives that I cannot allow to be polled every 4 seconds. If the system ONLY used SSD's this would not be a problem as polling the temperature sensor does not cause any wear on the drives. But I also need to point out what I did not mention in my last post, while this behavior can cause wear on mechanical drives it also uses a TON more power if the drives are constantly spinning and not allowed to go to sleep. This is very irresponsible on so many levels......what ever happened to the fix that was promised literally over 2 years ago?