[Netherlands] Tim Warning

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone, my appologies for the late posting of a first reply. I have not had the hardware very long and I have mostly been busy thinking about what I am going to do and how I am going to do it. It requires next to a lot of oldschool cutting and sawing and sanding (see the result in the first pictures) also a lot of drawing and measuring.

I leave you here with the first couple of pictures of a stripped chassis and one with me having cut out the entire front and part of the motherboard tray as well. They will all be replaced with things more interesting ;)

CVAjuO.jpg

99lMou.jpg

mrJhYG.jpg

A6dDwO.jpg

Also the first batch of Thermaltake watercooling goodness arrived.

SdOZxa.jpg

See you soon for more updates.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Back with update number one.

I received 2 care packages from Thermaltake. One containing the hardware for the casemod and the other one containing the radiators and power supply. I also received the top grills for the system.

Lets start with the hardware. A big shout-out tot he partners: ASUS, AMD, PLEXTOR and GSKILL.

They sponsored the entire competition with some very high end hardware.

First of all the ASUS ROG Crosshair VII HERO. It will be at the heart of the system. Very nice to work with an AMD system for a change. And it will fit in perfectly with the theme of the build (that I won’t tell just yet).

a1nwMQ.jpg

pjXctL.jpg

uOUw51.jpg

ceZaaQ.jpg

LzJs6L.jpg

Next up; if we have an X470 motherboard we need a Ryzen 2 processor. How about the AMD Ryzen 2700? 8 cores and 16 threads. This should work J

xMvhXY.jpg

To add to this system we received 4 sticks of beautiful GSKILL Trident Z RGB memory. I had never noticed before that noth both sides of the memory are black. One side is more grey. I will remove the stickers at a later point. This simply cannot do haha ;)

M9BE8T.jpg

MYBzMp.jpg

8DYhmh.jpg

Next is a piece of hardware I have been wanting to work wih fors ome time. An ASUS ROG Poseidon Platinium GTX 1080ti graphics card. Now I am not the biggest fan of a combination cooler, but they sure know how to make a graphics card look absolutely amazing.

yFdf5M.jpg

lRSINT.jpg

wRkrWh.jpg

QyAXr5.jpg

Now we also need something to put an OS on and drivers and amazing video games. Plextor is helping out with one of their PCIE Nvme SSD called the M9Pe. And a not too shabby 512GB one at that. It comes with a very sleeck black cooler and RGB features on the side.

BAPks7.jpg

fFBZhO.jpg

Thermaltake send one of their own power supplies. The newest one they have. A Platinium graded Toughpower iRGB PLUS 850W. It uses the exact same addressable RGB as the rest of the Thermaltake platform. And of course full modular.

WaHJz6.jpg

dbvXpm.jpg

1Vd8B6.jpg

I also received not one but two 480mm quad fan radiators. And I will mount BOTH of them in the top of the chassis. Yes both. The front and sides will be used for other ideas. And I am certain there is room in the top for 2 of these enormous babies. LET’S DO THIS!

WInUqG.jpg

These are grills fort he top of the chassis. Under the top lid there will be a bracket to hold both of the radiators and 16 fans. These two will be on top of the chassis. The square one will be mounted on the top lid (after I open that up for some air for both radiators) and on standoffs the smaller one will be fitted.

JYmIHi.jpg

uuXXUG.jpg

That is it fort his update. Next update I will show you how the new top looks with the dual 480mm radiators.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Back with update number two.

Most of the time I have been busy on the top end of the chassis.

I will be using the front side and the side next to that for other purposes. So there will nog be any room for radiators there. And the chassis is very wide. I felt like the top of the chassis felt kind of empty. I felt like it could also house 2 radiators in the top J.

And once I have such an idea there is not much that will stop me MUHAHAHAHA.

Not 1 but 2 times a 480mm radiator in the top it is then! I did some measuring for this. For fans it is an easy fit, but radiators are wider than fans making it exactly NOT fit 2 next to each other. Buuuuuuuuuut that is because there are wide beams in the corner holding the chassis together. The ones in the way are 10mm thick. So technically it I fit 10mm spacers I can hang the radiators from an own designed bracket and fit 2 radiators next to each other J.

I drilled and tapped the radiator from M3 to M4 and ordered plastic 10mm spacers. Already have 40mm M4 screws here in black. Designed a bracket and had it cut from steel and voila! NOW WE’RE TALKING!

dazbVA.jpg

3OKSL7.jpg

WULZ1Z.jpg

rp1o0x.jpg

GXxSfe.jpg

Next up was the top panel. I made the bracket for the radiators to handle 2 radiators but also still the original top panel.

CNUqfg.jpg

But as I showed before I designed and had cut 2 grill panels. They are to open up the top panel more because we now have 2 radiators next to each other. And of course also fit into the concept / theme of the casemod. After test fitting them I decided that I liked the bare metal look so much that I was going to do the entire casemod like this.

Gpwvyj.jpg

5u42Ce.jpg

kUOqYn.jpg

xy685A.jpg

HzUJoj.jpg

DBe0xh.jpg

L4sWJX.jpg

sjyGxH.jpg

So I grabbed some paintstripper, a lot of sanding paper and some elbow grease. I did not want a completely perfect shiny sanded chassis. It needs to have like little spots of the paint and rust on it to give it a weathered look.

UcH5ZC.jpg

eERDki.jpg

QTVegX.jpg

After that I created matching Decepticon logos for the rear of the fans since they will be visible so well. And I have to say I am quite happy with the endresult of the top panel.

IPhcvA.jpg

UujpZV.jpg

Pur4F8.jpg

22FnrW.jpg

See you guys at the next update!

Hi everyone,

Back with update number three.

Time is going by so fast, but in the background I have been working very hard.

Today is the big update of the custom reservoir and the panels holding it. The reservoir is a big eyecatcher for this casemod. I had this idea from the very start, I know exactly how it should look but I don’t have a CNC to make it. So I drew it up completely in 3D with my good friend Django (thank you so much buddy) and sent it over to Praetex Design for milling.

The reservoirs are two halves of the Decepticon logo.

ExelAm.jpg

GPXHMt.jpg

PXPjwm.jpg

Z1n4Cn.jpg

In the meantime also drawing out the exact metal panels shapes to sandwich the reservoirs behind.

yMQbMR.jpg

a1892j.jpg

And of course getting these to actually match eachother.

Y8kZop.jpg

jb9q3g.jpg

I mean COME ON HOW SICK IS THIS?

9gtc9j.jpg

EkY9eS.jpg

Because there are only fans in the top and the chassis has so much room to play with I decided to make a higher PSU shroud to add the theme of the top panel to and also accommodate fans in so the open bottom of the chassis. The bottom of the chassis is open so these fans will drag the cold air out from the bottom and put it up past the components towards the top of the chassis.

The panel also features the 2nd layer of metal.

FgVehM.jpg

VSUOBb.jpg

k419iu.jpg

DzwOaS.jpg

Last for this update the front side of the PUS cover. It features the Decepticons name, the same name in Decepticon language and matching shapes on the top of it which are bended 45 degrees backwards.

muL9mK.jpg

qv2CYI.jpg

See you at the next update!

First the last small update on the mod.

Sadly the Plextor PCIE SSD will not be in plain sight because I am mounting the graphics card vertical. Here are a few photos of it also with the midplate very visible and the design on it.

CE112p.jpg

SBNLTE.jpg

pEdZan.jpg

Due to the pressure of the deadline I couldn’t take much more photos of the cable management etc.

I did take a photo of me being busy drilling holes to fit the original tempered glass panel to the chassis so the glass outside looks great and like the original.

yxtR6b.jpg

1U6k4y.jpg

In the next update there will be the photos of the finished product.

Video of the final version of this casemod I did for the 2018 Thermaltake Casemod Invitational season 1.

The theme is the Decepticon race from the Tramsformers world. This is a Decepticon that battled for decades on Cybertron and travelled for years to get to earth to ask for help as the war on Cybertron is not going well for the Decepticons. In times of war the outside of the machine is scarred and no time has been spent on making it a shiny machine with glossy paint. The panels are tough and can be replaced easily after having taken damage. The hardware in the other hand is powerfull and well maintained to be ready for any battle ahead.

• 4 years later...
  • 11 months later...