Thermaltake Flow Indicator 2 Orientation

POE UK

Hello i have bought 2 x pacific flow indicator 2's, now do these have to be fitted in a certain way? ie can they be fitted horizontally/vertically and will they spin properly?

Also do they need to be near the pump to spin properly?

There are no instructions in the box to show which way around it can be fitted, any help would be great! thank you.

Hello,

The Flow2 can be mounted vertically or horizontal it does not matter. You do not have to mount it near the pump, you should mount it where you want to see the flow of coolant like after the CPU waterblock or where ever you want it in the build, your flow should not change from one part to the next. 

Now as for the insert goes, i have seen better results with it twisting one way vs the other, but it should work for the most part either way. 

Ok thanks, ive fitted it to my tower900 case, right in front of my ram to make it light up, but left enough space for ram removal, so i see on thermaltakes site the blades only last 6 months so you need to change the blades on every refill of the system thats why there are 3 blades in the box, can you buy these separately?

Hi, 

Seen this before, likely the fittings for each end are not straight where the insert is rubbing on the wall. 

You might want to try to adjust it a little before you drain it to take it out, move it around (Flex it) a little bit to try and straighten it the best you can. 

This also is based on how your tubes are going in from each end, any like torque from the connecting tubes can cause this as well. 

If all is lost, drain it enough to take the flow2 out and flip the insert around and try it flipped to see if it helps with the result.

Once you get it right, it works great, just takes a little adjustment, especially if you are using it for the first time.

Ok thanks for getting back to me, is there anywhere i can buy replacement blades for this? as i want to only use the white blade not black or red. asking because i would buy a few white ones for backup or even get a friend to design me a few on a 3d printer, im at the experimenting stage atm

53 minutes ago, POE UK said:

Ok thanks for getting back to me, is there anywhere i can buy replacement blades for this? as i want to only use the white blade not black or red. asking because i would buy a few white ones for backup or even get a friend to design me a few on a 3d printer, im at the experimenting stage atm

For requests like this, it is based on the region imo. Since I am in USA it is costly to ship from here versus contacting our support in your region (UK) based on your forum name.

We have spare parts, but not for everything, I am not sure if you can get just those inserts or not. 

The Flow2 will be EOL soon as well, as we are going with a new design in the future FYI..

If you would want to cover the shipping for example, we can check here to have it shipped from USA, but I dont know if that would be cheaper versus you just buying this part in your region if you know what I mean. 

DM me if you are interested, I will need some personal info of course and happy to check if you want to do it.

Right thermalmike i have found out what the problem is here and its a pretty simple one, take note thermaltake designers.

The blade is just too heavy and tight for the tube itself, when this type of plastic changes in temperature (with water)  the plastic expands enough to make it stop spinning completely. 

This is a simple fix for anyone out there with this problem:

1) use a fine nail file and sand 0.5mm from each edge of the blade

2) thin down the blade very very slightly again with the nail file/fine sandpaper, this will make the blade spin much faster at slower speeds.

3) dont shave too much off or it will rattle, you only want 0.5mm shaved off each side, before fitting back in the tube make sure there are no sharp edges.

Now i have done this, on my neochanger400ML pumps lowest setting (1500rpm), its spinning like a barbers pole and really quick/smooth.

So the problem isnt "really" with the design, its the blade, its too big/thick, thermaltake engineers havent accounted for the coefficient effect of plastics.

Im happy now its spinning really fast on minimum pump speed so its all good.

I like the design of this i really do

Hi, 

Thanks for the feedback. only thing I want to mention is in no way is the plastic expanding in the coolant unless you are running very, very hot.

The heating point on that PMMA is no where close to what it would be in a LCS system, your O-rings would fail way before it got that hot and would have leaks every where.

I can understand though the manufacture process could have had a blem in the one you have and i think it cool you took the DIY spirit to make it work for you the way you want it too.

I have used probably more of these than most and I love that Barber pole effect! 

• 1 year later...