TT RGB Riing Plus Software causing AMD GPU Driver HARD crash

merkage

I have a unique issue I have been unable to find a solution to, after tearing down my rig half a dozen times, trying different USB2 devices, I cannot find a solution to this problem.

When I install the TT RGB Riing Plus software, anywhere from 10-120 seconds of the software running on the PC, the GPU will hard crash causing the screen to blank out, GPU fans to jump to 100%. Sometimes the PC will reboot and the GPU is no longer detected and I have to power off and power on, it is a legitimate hard crash. It took me several weeks to finally find the culprit, as soon as I shut down the TT RGB Riing Plus software my PC no longer crashes. As soon as I start the software my PC will crash shortly after.

I originally had my fans running through a Hubby 7 USB 2.0 internal controller, I removed this and plugged directly into the usb 2.0 MB header, the issue persists and appears to be 100% software related.  It seems to me there is a problem with the software and I'm the only one with it.

I will point out that if I uninstall the AMD radeon driver, (and fall back to either the microsoft windows update driver from 11/2017, or generic driver) the crashes do not occur nearly as often, maybe once every couple of days, however the video card is in limp mode without the driver and my system isnt really usable.

I put in close to 4k in hardware in my rig, and I'm being mauled by a 100$ fan kit. I received one replacement controller from RMA already, and that issue was for the controller not being detected at startup, but this second issue happened on the old and new unit.

I am lost and unsure what to do here. Maybe I need a whole new kit, fans and cables? Anyone have similar problems? Is there a mod or someone who can get this reviewed by the software development team? I use the samsung 49 inch monitor CHG90, is it possible this could be the problem and the RGB riing software isn't supported?

Some additional notes that may help: I was sent a new controller box and power cables, I have the one that is wrapped in the sleeve, it replaced the old type that was cheaper looking. Its being powered by that cable and currently plugged into the primary usb 2.0 header on the motherboard. 

System specs:

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix x299-E

Memory: Corsair vengence lpx 16gb

Video Card (Crashing HARD with AMD driver, any version after 11/17): Asus ROG Vega 56 water cooled

Monitor: Samsung CHG90 49 inch ultra wide

AMD Radeon software 18.7.1 (issue happens on any driver back to 11/17/windows update release, happens less on that release)

Power supply: corsair rm750x

Disk: Samsung NAND 960 250gb

MVIMG_20180714_145517.jpg

That is a strange one have you by chance tried the new beta they put out last week 

No idea if they have made any big changes to the back end but it is worth a shot as it does sound like some sort of software conflict. 

If all else fails you could go with the TT sync controller that just uses your mobos addressable rgb & pwm headers and no TT software.  

Tested the new version and nothing changed unfortunately. :( I'm thinking there is not much I'm going to be able to do except look for another product or brand, I absolutely love these fans. I'll keep posting on what I learn from support as well, I hope no one ever runs into this issue its plagued me for many many weeks unfortunately.

I've been using my whole system in limp mode with a generic driver, RMAed a video card, thrown away 50$+ and 20+ hours of my time troubleshooting, returning, reformatting, tearing down the cooling loop, ugh....

Hi,

We have seen this issue with using a AMD GPU and the Catalyst Driver software.

We are trying to narrow down the issue as of right now.

Currently not seeing this issue on NVIDIA based GPUs with either INTEL or AMD Chipsets, so it looks like it is directly related to AMD software like you said.

Mike,

It seems like this has been an issue with the software for a very long time, I first installed my GPU in April. If there is no timetable to fix, I feel like I've been shafted and im stuck with a completely unusable product. I can't get a refund because its been too long. I'm guessing there isn't enough customers with this issue to warrant a patch?

• 2 months later...

I am glad I am not the only one with this weird issue. I have a new build and it periodically freezes my monitor and the fan lights freeze too. I do notice it only happens when I use an app online like Netflix or YouTube. It has never happened while watching anything from the PC like on the hard drives. It is quite maddening.  I have updated all drivers for GPU motherboard and bios. And it still happens. I am using floe ring and 4 addition thermaltake rgb fans. The light work fine. But when the monitor freezes it stops audio and the fan lights freeze too. If I unplug the hdmi cable going to the monitor and replug it. Sometimes everything goes back to normal. Sometimes it just crashes my rig. I am at a loss to what the issue is. I am using a asus crosshair 7 motherboard 16 gifs of ddr4 ram, 8 GB. RoG Strix grx 1070 asus GPU. Ryzen cpu. Cooling with 1 controller with floe ring. And 4 addition rgb fans. 

For the love of #### if you have found an answer to this please share. Super frustrated. Waiting to build new rig with threadripper and want to keep thermaltake as my cooling.

13 hours ago, psychlone said:

I am glad I am not the only one with this weird issue. I have a new build and it periodically freezes my monitor and the fan lights freeze too. I do notice it only happens when I use an app online like Netflix or YouTube. It has never happened while watching anything from the PC like on the hard drives. It is quite maddening.  I have updated all drivers for GPU motherboard and bios. And it still happens. I am using floe ring and 4 addition thermaltake rgb fans. The light work fine. But when the monitor freezes it stops audio and the fan lights freeze too. If I unplug the hdmi cable going to the monitor and replug it. Sometimes everything goes back to normal. Sometimes it just crashes my rig. I am at a loss to what the issue is. I am using a asus crosshair 7 motherboard 16 gifs of ddr4 ram, 8 GB. RoG Strix grx 1070 asus GPU. Ryzen cpu. Cooling with 1 controller with floe ring. And 4 addition rgb fans. 

For the love of #### if you have found an answer to this please share. Super frustrated. Waiting to build new rig with threadripper and want to keep thermaltake as my cooling.

Hi,

So you have a NVIDIA card? Have you tested Netflix/Youtube without the software installed/running? What was your result?

Curious to understand if this is related to our software causing the freeze or something else, I have not seen issues like this be the software's issue, but hey who knows.

What software version are you currently using from us?

You can find the latest version on our website here: (v 1.2.3)

https://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Cooler/Case_Fan_/_/C_00003324/Riing_Trio_14_RGB_Radiator_Fan_TT_Premium_Edition_3_Fan_Pack_/Support.htm

Suggest to contact our support in the USA directly so we can go over details on the issue and see if an RMA is needed:

https://thermaltakeusa.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

• 1 month later...

I've had this issue for almost a year now, since the day I built my PC. I've written to thermaltake a number of times and while they have responded to me with possible fixes nothing on their end has changed. I feel so cheated after sinking over $800 into thermaltake products for my cusomt build. I would really love a solution from them because after weeks of swapping pieces of my rig to find the problem I could not return these items and I can't afford to replace them now.

Build specs here:

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/wpQZxr

• 3 weeks later...

I wrote support a note that I was still having issues with this software not too long ago, interestingly a new release came out a couple weeks later 1.2.5 addressing most of my issues. I lost a lot of time and money due to these software problems, it's been one of the most frustrating issues I've ever had to deal with, I've been a custom builder for 20 years. When you're building high end rigs and destroying expensive hardware because of FAN software, it really leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sure glad this thread exists. I was having similar issues. My build is about 3 months old and last week my system started crashing. Either the GPU crashes, leaving all fans and RGB on, or it totally shuts down. Once or twice it would reset, but would then immediately crash. After installing a new PSU, swapping for some borrowed ram, wiping my nvme drive and nearly pulling my hair out, we found this thread. Uninstalled TT RGB Plus and the problem went away completely. 

Specs; 

Asus ROG x470-F

AMD Ryzen 7 2700

Zotac 1070ti AMP! Edition

Corsair Vengeance RAM (16GB)

Corsair RM750X (This replaced the Rosewell HIVE 750 that was originally there, so there goes an extra $100 that I didn't need to spend)

TT Pure Plus 12 fans and controller

Thermaltake F31 case 

I hope TT finds a solution to this issue, I now have basically no use for this $75 fan kit. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/13/2018 at 11:34 AM, PikleRikle said:

I am sure glad this thread exists. I was having similar issues. My build is about 3 months old and last week my system started crashing. Either the GPU crashes, leaving all fans and RGB on, or it totally shuts down. Once or twice it would reset, but would then immediately crash. After installing a new PSU, swapping for some borrowed ram, wiping my nvme drive and nearly pulling my hair out, we found this thread. Uninstalled TT RGB Plus and the problem went away completely. 

Specs; 

Asus ROG x470-F

AMD Ryzen 7 2700

Zotac 1070ti AMP! Edition

Corsair Vengeance RAM (16GB)

Corsair RM750X (This replaced the Rosewell HIVE 750 that was originally there, so there goes an extra $100 that I didn't need to spend)

TT Pure Plus 12 fans and controller

Thermaltake F31 case 

I hope TT finds a solution to this issue, I now have basically no use for this $75 fan kit. 

I have the ASUS X470-F board and a 2700X also, and am having hard crashes and/or reboots any time the TT software is running. Close/uninstall the program, then it's rock solid stability. Been having these issues for months. I replaced my RAM, GPU, and PSU (twice) before finally figuring out it was the Thermaltake software causing crashes.

Just for more clarity, I have already had the Ryzen updated controllers sent out to me by my local RMA team, so it's not that.

Was hoping it was a graphics driver crash, so I swapped out my AMD RX 580 8GB for a NVIDIA 1070 8GB, but it made no difference. Still crashes.

Also to note, the hard crashes trips a safety feature in the motherboard or PSU (Thermaltake Grand 850W RGB Gold), that makes my computer inoperable until it clears itself. Sometimes it takes hours. Push the power button and no sign on life whatsoever. I find unplugging the ATX and CPU connectors from the motherboard clears the problem faster.

Real fed up at this point. I want to throw the Thermaltake gear in the bin, but I've spent over $650 Australian on the cooler and fans (Floe Riing 360 with 3x 120mm Riing Plus, 3x 120mm Riing Plus on the front, and 4x 140mm Riing Plus on the top and rear). 

Sort it out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/16/2018 at 5:33 AM, merkage said:

I have a unique issue I have been unable to find a solution to, after tearing down my rig half a dozen times, trying different USB2 devices, I cannot find a solution to this problem.

When I install the TT RGB Riing Plus software, anywhere from 10-120 seconds of the software running on the PC, the GPU will hard crash causing the screen to blank out, GPU fans to jump to 100%. Sometimes the PC will reboot and the GPU is no longer detected and I have to power off and power on, it is a legitimate hard crash. It took me several weeks to finally find the culprit, as soon as I shut down the TT RGB Riing Plus software my PC no longer crashes. As soon as I start the software my PC will crash shortly after.

I originally had my fans running through a Hubby 7 USB 2.0 internal controller, I removed this and plugged directly into the usb 2.0 MB header, the issue persists and appears to be 100% software related.  It seems to me there is a problem with the software and I'm the only one with it.

I will point out that if I uninstall the AMD radeon driver, (and fall back to either the microsoft windows update driver from 11/2017, or generic driver) the crashes do not occur nearly as often, maybe once every couple of days, however the video card is in limp mode without the driver and my system isnt really usable.

I put in close to 4k in hardware in my rig, and I'm being mauled by a 100$ fan kit. I received one replacement controller from RMA already, and that issue was for the controller not being detected at startup, but this second issue happened on the old and new unit.

I am lost and unsure what to do here. Maybe I need a whole new kit, fans and cables? Anyone have similar problems? Is there a mod or someone who can get this reviewed by the software development team? I use the samsung 49 inch monitor CHG90, is it possible this could be the problem and the RGB riing software isn't supported?

Some additional notes that may help: I was sent a new controller box and power cables, I have the one that is wrapped in the sleeve, it replaced the old type that was cheaper looking. Its being powered by that cable and currently plugged into the primary usb 2.0 header on the motherboard. 

System specs:

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix x299-E

Memory: Corsair vengence lpx 16gb

Video Card (Crashing HARD with AMD driver, any version after 11/17): Asus ROG Vega 56 water cooled

Monitor: Samsung CHG90 49 inch ultra wide

AMD Radeon software 18.7.1 (issue happens on any driver back to 11/17/windows update release, happens less on that release)

Power supply: corsair rm750x

Disk: Samsung NAND 960 250gb

MVIMG_20180714_145517.jpg

This isn't AMD specific it Seems. Except I am on an X370 platform But, I'm running a watercooled 1080Ti so HMMMM..... lol

Edit is that a P3 I was Considering switching from My AI Crystal to that.

• 1 month later...

I just finished tearing down my new rig for the 3rd time only to now realize that when I disabled tt software this cured all of the wacky issues my computer was having. We need a fix please, as of now my fans just keep punishing me with horrible default rainbow pattern.

Intel 9980xe, Gigabyte Designare x299 Motherboard, Asus Rog Strix 1080ti 11GB, 128 GB GSkill Royal Z trident, Raided Samsung 970

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

I stumbled across this thread looking for an alternative way (hardware, preferably) to control the fans and RGB lighting of the Riing Plus 14's in my View91 RGB Plus case, and am glad I did.

While I am not sure yet, upon finding this thread and thinking about the problems I've been having, I am now looking at the RGB Plus software as a factor or cause for my display TDR (Timeout Detection and Recovery) problems, since NVidia GPU users have also reported seeing the same problems as the OP here .

I am running RGB Plus version 1.2.4, which except for a brief period with a newer x64-specific version that didn't work well for me (v1.2.9, I think), is the main and/or only version of this software I've ever run.  I have generally allowed the RGB Plus software to start automatically with Windows since I despise the default rainbow swirl lighting the Riing Plus 14 fans have until the software starts up.  I also dual boot Linux.  So yeah, I'm trying to find another way to control the lighting and fan speed of these fans.  I have ZERO problems in Linux BTW so I am not entertaining the possibility of defective hardware.

Below are some details of the issues I've been dealing with, in case it "rings any bells" for anyone else.

System overview:

ASRock X299 OC Formula mobo, BIOS v1.6.0  (have also experienced issue with other BIOS versions)

Thermaltake View 91 RGB Plus case with 4 included Riing Plus 14 fans and controller

(2) EVGA GTX 1080 FTW GPU's, SLI disabled (also occurs when enabled but I don't game much or otherwise need SLI, I run 2 cards because I have 6 monitors)

NVidia driver version 391.35 (and several other highly-reputed-as-stable driver versions both newer and older)

Intel 7940X CPU / Intel 9980XE CPU (I have 2 of these rigs, both have experienced the issue. My 7940X rig is overclocked , my 9980XE rig is not (YET)).

Windows 7 x64 SP1 + misc critical fixes

32GB RAM using stock XMP profiles built into RAM SPD config

The main way I see this problem manifest is while using Firefox with Hardware Acceleration enabled and just using the browser, particularly when multiple browser windows are opened.  Things that make it happen faster are - doing a lot of scrolling with the mouse wheel, and more commonly when it is Youtube I am hitting with the browser.  I have only been able to ~"stop" the TDR's from occurring in Firefox by completely disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox -- merely setting the two advanced layer options (layers.mlgpu.enabled and layers.mlgpu.enable-on-windows7) to false in about:config doesn't completely stop it for me.

Even setting the registry DWORD value TdrDelay in the right place with an 8 second delay vs. the 2 second default TDR value isn't enough, hardware acceleration has to be completely disabled in Firefox or I will eventually start getting TDR's.

Up to this point I've been tracking/working on this problem primarily as a Firefox+Nvidia driver problem, there have been people complaining about this happening with Firefox for a LONG time now (as in, YEARS).  It doesn't help that Nvidia and Mozilla have both claimed multiple times they have "fixed" the issue with different driver and/or browser release versions, but it continues to go on.

Anyhow, since closing the TT RGB Plus app (ie, fully exiting it where you don't see it in the processes list anymore in Task Manager) and preventing it from starting up automatically at Windows startup I have, thus far, not seen another TDR. 

I do know that the RGB Plus software has a "local" HWInfo .DLL it uses to get system temps, etc. and since I run HWInfo64 on my rig also, perhaps there is a conflict but I am not giving up the HWInfo64 I run myself,  I wish you could just turn off RGB Plus's monitoring of system sensors with a checkbox.  If you hide/rename the local HWInfo DLL RGB Plus has in its local dir the util won't run (it errors out).

Generally speaking I have been trying to avoid allowing any "resident" (always running) software that either performs hardware sensor monitoring (other than the HWInfo64 setup/instance I *WANT* to use) and/or controls RGB lighting.  My own experiences have confirmed what everybody says about RGB control software out there, it is all VERY buggy.  At least with the rest of the RGB software I use to configure lighting, I only have to run it when I want to make a change, the lighting config gets saved in hardware.   Sadly you don't seem to be able to save the lighting setup  you want for the Riing Plus 14 fans in the controller, so you either run RGB Plus resident in Windows or it's rainbow swirlie time again...

Question:  Has anyone found a version of RGB Plus that they do not see the issue reported by OP?

Thanks,

RetroRambler

Update: It took a little while (>1 day) but I have had another TDR happen with my Nvidia cards, this was with no TT RGB Plus running. So I don't think I can fairly blame this problem just on the RGB Plus software. But the frequency has dropped a LOT.

I am, however, quite happy to have found Teszty66's alternative software here on the forums. It allowed me to save a different default color scheme to the TT controller for bootup (and when I am in Linux) so I don't have to put up with the rainbow swirl default anymore, and it has amazing potential for fan customization also.

Funny really, that the only reason you can't save/change the power-on default color scheme with TT's RGB Plus from among the ones built in to the little controller chips on the fans themselves is because Thermaltake hasn't bothered to code that functionality into their tool.

Cheers,
RetroRambler

• 2 weeks later...