Riing Plus second controller not working

Hippomedon

I have a 5 fan Riing Plus setup with the 5 port non-sync controller. This controller connects to a USB header on the motherboard.

I want to add another Riing Plus fan, and this controller can be daisy chained according to Thermal Take, so I purchased another 5-port controller and another Riing Plus fan.

The controller came with a USB header/Micro usb cable, a molex power cable, and the "bridge" cable (this has a four-pin connector on one side, and a Micro USB on the other).

The directions are not clear, they only indicate that you can plug the bridge cable into the second controller. I tried plugging the four-pin side of the bridge cable into the first controller, and the micro-USB side of the bridge cable into the second controller. I connected molex power and my extra Riing Plus fan into the second controller. I powered on the system and the second controller was not recognized in the Thermal Take software (v1.2).

The extra fan did spin up in default RGB mode, I assume because it was getting power from the second controller. But, no second controller showed up in the TT software. Did I connect everything together? I shut down, disconnected and reconnected and it still didn't work.

Thanks!

Hi,

Did you set the dip switch to like #2? both controllers cant be on #1 or it wont show up.

About the daisy chain stuff, you can use either of the 2 connections from the USB header Y cable and anything after that will use the link cable.

You can plug in #1 controller to the cable from the USB header on the motherboard and then link with the daisy chain cable for #2 as well.

Either or dont matter, all that does matter is the dip switch to assign the controller #1-16

thank you. I followed these directions and the second controller appeared int the interface as controller 2. I was able to configure the extra fan by switching to controller 2 in the software. Everything was working as expected.

After a restart, however, I got a warning controller 2 error, and the controller 2 icon is now red in the interface. I can't change the fan's colors anymore, just the light pattern, and when I try to save a profile, the fans on the original controller change color, or shut off, at random.

Not sure sure what I should do! I tried unplugging everything, restarting, plugging back in, restarting, still  the same issue.

Hi,

First off, when you get the alert message, make sure to click ok to close it.

Then, there is likely a port empty, which the software will alert you that nothing is detected.

Click that blue circle on that port in the software to turn it red (Disabled) if nothing is on that port and the software will stop alerting you about it.

As for the changes and saving, make sure each controller is on the right profile, they can all be different as well.

Check your connections too.

thanks, it was actually a green circle to disable empty ports on the second controller, now the fan error is gone.

I still have to restart the software everytime I change a fan color or profile for it to "take" but that seems like a separate issue, maybe I'll re-install and see if that helps.

Thanks for your help.

• 10 months later...

So I’m having somewhat the same problem, I can’t get a second fan controller to show up, I’m running 10 of the riing premium plus fans, but only 5 show up in the software obviously because the other controller isn’t showing up. I swapped the controller to a spare that I had and still won’t show up, I’ve also played with the dip switches and reinstalled the app. Kinda lost at this point 

• 1 year later...

I'm also having a similar issue. I have 6 of the riing quad fans and 2 x 5 port controllers (Fans 1-5 on controller 1 and fan 6 on controller 2). I was able to get both controllers to show up last night, but then after a shut down for a few hours and turning the pc pack on again. I now only see controller 2. 

I also had neon maker able to see all 6 fans last night and now it can only see the 1 fan I have on controller 2. 

Motherboard Gigabyte x570 gaming x

CPU: Ryzen 3900x

Ram 4 x 8 Kingston Fury X 3200Mhz

GPU: MSI Geforce RTX 2070 8GB

Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum XL

Mouse:  Logitech M600

7 hours ago, James Pisanich said:

I'm also having a similar issue. I have 6 of the riing quad fans and 2 x 5 port controllers (Fans 1-5 on controller 1 and fan 6 on controller 2). I was able to get both controllers to show up last night, but then after a shut down for a few hours and turning the pc pack on again. I now only see controller 2. 

I also had neon maker able to see all 6 fans last night and now it can only see the 1 fan I have on controller 2. 

Motherboard Gigabyte x570 gaming x

CPU: Ryzen 3900x

Ram 4 x 8 Kingston Fury X 3200Mhz

GPU: MSI Geforce RTX 2070 8GB

Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum XL

Mouse:  Logitech M600

Hi, 

It seems a voltage issue, cuz riing quad features 54 LEDs on each fan, i would suggest that move 2 fans from controller 1 to controller 2, means one controller only plugs 3 riing quad fans, please let me know if it works.

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm having a problem where my first controller runs fine, but the second controller apparently is hated by my software and it refuses to boot when the 2nd one is plug in, even by itself. It will boot up when either no controller is hooked up or controller 1 is but will crash or not boot when controller 2 is involved. The fans connected still run but I can change the fan speed nor the color. I have tried the y cable, the daisy chain (which is actually when it started to refuse to boot). Reinstalling the program and even deleting the RGBRiingPlus file inside my appdata folder and nothing has worked.

PS: If I do I need to buy a new controller and if I do what should I get? (My motherboard does NOT HAVE A 5 VOLT HEADER)

• 11 months later...

Hello, i am having a similar issue, i have 6 riing trio fans, 3 in each 5 port controller, and when i start the tt RGB plus app, be it in the boot or manually, the second controller stops being recognized, but when i unplug and plug back the power from the second controller, it is recognized by the app, the problem seens to be in the app startup

• 1 month later...

I am having similar issues to these other guys. I have two controllers set up plugged into one of the USB motherboard connectors. I downsized from three as the third stopped being recognized. Now the second controller is not being seen. Since restart the TT RGB Plus software also does not see the Toughpower iRGB PSU either. I will have to admit I am super disappointed as I have liked Thermaltake gear for a long time and this is my first upgrade in 7 years an now you guys are selling gear that is not user friendly. I have 2 x Riing trio 20 and 3 x Riing 12 fans on the first controller and 3 x Riing Trio 14 and 1 x Floe AIO on the second. I am considering returning it all directly to Theremaltake as this should not have to be dealt with by Scorptec Computers who have done nothing wrong. The controllers do not work as they should. Also on my Riing Trio 20 fans 3 of the LEDS in the middle just go whatever colour they feel like and cannot be addressed. Poor form.