Alternative to TT RGB software

Teszty66

@DeNIk

You enter your windows credentials in the dialog when you are installing. It is the user you want the service to run as. So you would enter ".\DeNIk" as user and your windows password. This dialog pops up from windows and not from my app so you dont have to worry.

Also that event log does not help. There should be a few of them there at the same time, and one of them should have a stacktrace from an exception that occurred while the service was loading. That one would be most helpful.

the software is much easier to work with as i exspected. very nice work here, you did way better than thermaltake!
for future updates (if intented) i suggest to implement a 'copy' function for color settings so you don't have to address every single LED everytime you set up a new profile for a fan.
but that's just 'nice-to-have'- stuff and depends on how much time or desire you have bringing that software further.

for now i'm glad you made this software all by yourself in your freetime, i appreciate that very much.

since i thought i'm left alone with the TT software restrictions, it's nice to see people like you , sharing their abilities to fix bad software and make it work way better than the original one.

sadly i still need to stick with TT's trash, since i cant set up a pump profile ( i own the TT floe riing premium 360), i don't know if the AiO works as intented when using your software so i guess i'll better be on the safe side.

maybe TT see's this and will overhaul their software
i'll still follow this thread an will see how it develops, ty so much for what you did, sir. keep up the good work

2 hours ago, DeNIk said:

for future updates (if intented) i suggest to implement a 'copy' function for color settings so you don't have to address every single LED everytime you set up a new profile for a fan.

You can select multiple leds by holding shift/ctrl like you would select multiple files in explorer. This will apply the color to all the selected leds when updated. You can also select multiple fans the same way to include multiple fans in a profile.

Unless you meant copy profile function?

2 hours ago, DeNIk said:

sadly i still need to stick with TT's trash, since i cant set up a pump profile ( i own the TT floe riing premium 360), i don't know if the AiO works as intented when using your software so i guess i'll better be on the safe side.

I think it should work fine if its connected to the controller and not via usb. I did not see anything in the official software that would indicate different functions for different devices (pumps, fans etc).

Does my software detect the pump as a connected fan? If it does you could check the rpm and speed stats, if they are correct I think there will be no problems.

Also, on first install of the official software, did it automatically detect a pump on a port or did you have to select it from the device selection dropdown? If it did not detect it, that would mean that there is no difference between devices other than led count.

When I was writing the software I thought it would only support riing plus fans, but now it seems it should support every tt rgb plus device. Thats why it defaults to 12 led colors and does not detect that your pump has only 6, but its not a problem if you send more data to the controller.

But yeah, you would want to test the app more to use it with a pump, and definitely use pwm profile.

2 hours ago, DeNIk said:

maybe TT see's this and will overhaul their software

Apparently they are rewriting the software from scratch. Could be interesting.

edit: v1.3 allows you to install as LocalService account

4 hours ago, TirexiHD said:

The program is cool but very minimum. :(
Where is the Swirl effect? And the other effects?

The effects that are available are those that are supported in the controller. Any other mode you see in official software is done in the software and not in the controller, and it will use more cpu power.

I am thinking about adding custom/software effects, that would enable you to do anything you want with the fans. But I dont know if its worth the effort yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Unable to run, always getting this error:

- System 

- Provider 

[ Name]  Windows Error Reporting 

- EventID 1001 

[ Qualifiers]  0 

Level 4 

Task 0 

Keywords 0x80000000000000 

- TimeCreated 

[ SystemTime]  2018-11-06T09:29:15.745941600Z 

EventRecordID 5668 

Channel Application 

Computer 9900K 

Security 

- EventData 

CLR20r3 
   Non disponible 
   RiingPlus.Service.exe 
   5bbbd8ff 
   RiingPlus.Service 
   5bbbd8ff 
   System.NullReferenceException 

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERAF39.tmp.dmp \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERAF97.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERAF98.tmp.xml \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERAF9C.tmp.csv \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERAFAD.tmp.txt 
   C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_RiingPlus.Servic_0a34ccf75f57a74aed08611a4987a797d87c8_ec4d77fb_3487b2a4 

cf5375a4-cb23-44df-81ab-e0ac5a0adbe9 
   0a12153312c3e022968fb5c1a0ac6a2a 

:(

1 hour ago, Tukz said:

Sure, here all errors (3) with screenshots.

As a note, I use the TT RGB PLUS controller for RIING TRIO Fans. I don't know if it's important.

PM'd debug version of the service for testing.

As for riing trio then they are not tested. For sure you will not get full rgb support as I have a limit of 12 leds right now in the app. I can easily add a slider or something to select number of leds.

But you could test if one of the zones will respond. I assume trio fan is treated as if it has 30leds and there are no special commands in the controller.

5 hours ago, visualarts said:

Hi

Is it possible to add a command to run the program so that an appropriate fan profile is activated? I mean the profile associated with a specific program. Thanks.

Hi, cool idea but unfortunately because of how the app is written it would require a big rewrite. Currently everything is applied "manually" when you click the save button, scanning for running processes is a "real time" thing.

But I'll keep that in mind, maybe I'll figure a better way. If the new TT app will still be bad I will rewrite my app and add a lot of features.

Hi

Thanks for your reply. App is very intertesting... but the service runs for a very long time by blocking other processes, for example wifi network, loading the software with corsair K70RGB etc. and is it possible to save config / profile to the controller's memory? from what I see, it is not possible.

Additional question .... is the recording only possible for a selected group of fans or one? Or maybe there is a possibility of writing for each individual?

The config.json file contains only the last record (group or one fan selected, no matter the same parameters for all). And it should probably consist of as many elements as there are fans. So that the service has individual memories for each fan separately. This here is probably lacking like oxygen :)

And so besides good job !

P.S. Did thermaltake get interested in your program?

2 hours ago, visualarts said:

the service runs for a very long time by blocking other processes, for example wifi network, loading the software with corsair K70RGB etc

What do you mean? The service takes long time to start or to shutdown? I dont see why it would block other software. If you want you can try setting startup type of the service to delayed start in "services.msc". For me it starts before login ui shows up, and shutdowns just after logging out.

Is your wifi card connected via usb?

is it possible to save config / profile to the controller's memory? from what I see, it is not possible.

It is possible. Create a new profile and set its type to "Boot", then when you click save, that profile will be saved to the controller. Note that it only saves manual speed, so you cant save pwm curve to the controller, the service needs to be running for that. Those will be the default settings the controller will be running with when booting the pc while the service is not running. I guess you can just create one boot profile, save, and then disable the service if you want.

The config.json file contains only the last record (group or one fan selected, no matter the same parameters for all). And it should probably consist of as many elements as there are fans. So that the service has individual memories for each fan separately. This here is probably lacking like oxygen :)

You can "control + left click" or "shift + left click" to select multiple fans to be included in the profile, or you can just make profiles per fan.

Dont forget to save each time you make changes.

P.S. Did thermaltake get interested in your program?

Nope. Honestly surprised they did not delete the thread :P I should get around to putting this on github for easier management, maybe after that v2 rewrite.

Hi

Thanks for your reply. Now I understand exactly how it works. However, I have a problem with the long start of the service all the time. The service starts before logging into the system, but in the task manager it shows "starting" as if the start has not yet finished. It takes about 60 seconds. I will add that until this start is over, other processes are waiting. Such as wifi, keyboard software and corsair mice etc.

From what I noticed, this service also creates a process with the same name, maybe it has some meaning?

Thanks for all a lot.

4 hours ago, visualarts said:

Hi

Thanks for your reply. Now I understand exactly how it works. However, I have a problem with the long start of the service all the time. The service starts before logging into the system, but in the task manager it shows "starting" as if the start has not yet finished. It takes about 60 seconds. I will add that until this start is over, other processes are waiting. Such as wifi, keyboard software and corsair mice etc.

From what I noticed, this service also creates a process with the same name, maybe it has some meaning?

Thanks for all a lot. 

Hmm ok, the only thing I can think of is that the api I use for usb stuff is somehow blocking all other usb devices. Ill try to read on this. In the meantime please try setting the service as "delayed start", it will delay the service for 120 seconds but we will see if this is the problem.

The process you see in task manager IS the service, it does not create any other processes.

14 hours ago, visualarts said:

Hi

I set the service to automatic (delay), but it does not start in this mode. In addition, I noticed that the colors on the fans turn on immediately, but the fan speed curve is activated only after these 60 seconds.

What do you mean it does not start? Like in services.msc it says that the service is not running? The colors change right when the system boots but the fans respond to the curve after 60seconds? So the service starts after those 60seconds right?

Anyway, it was just to test if it will still block your other software from working, did it help with that?

6 hours ago, apewithrock said:

Quick question about the official software:

In PWM mode-- At which temp do the fans start running at max RPM?

It is sooo retarded that TT didnt add customization of fan curve....like w t f

I think 60C, which is even more retarded because of the temperature spike when cpu boosts for 1-2seconds, which causes tt software to read a temperature which is not really accurate, so the fan speed waves constantly. This is the main reason I made my software. I use rolling average of the temperature over 2.5s (update rate of fan speed) and additionally you can set maximum/minimum change in fan speed to smooth it even more. The only times that this is not beneficial if you run a cpu test or launch game that is cpu intensive on load, because it will get to above 90C before the fans can slowly spin up. Thats why there is the critical temperature config to just force them to 100%. But that rarely happens for me, and you could just change the fan update rate to make it more responsive.

Hi

Yes, and yes ...

I repeat, setting the service in automatic mode (delayed) means that the service does not start at all. Unfortunately, when the system is started, the service starts very long. If I run this service manually, it takes a few seconds. So it must be some conflict in the starting sequence.

I will try to exclude some programs and services in msconfig. Maybe it will give something.

001.jpg

after about 80 seconds ...

002.jpg

P.S. Disabling all programs and services in msconfig does not give anything. still the same. I have no idea ...

Hi

ok, problem solved - temporarily.

1. I created the file Start_RiingPlusService.bat (content: NET START RiingPlusService)
  2. I created a new basic task Ring Plus Service
  3. Task run at system startup. Start a task as a System
  4. Service RiingPlus.Service set manual mode

And the whole works, the system ready after 6 seconds with the fan profile loaded. Maybe someone will use it. :)

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

Hi

uff, there is a new problem. I did not notice it before, but maybe because the colors were not set. At the start of the service, all fans are not always detected. Once it detects two or three fans, and the second time it detects only four. Nothing when he detects all fans. I do not know ... I have win7 64, maybe it's a problem?

111.jpg

222.jpg

8 hours ago, visualarts said:

I repeat, setting the service in automatic mode (delayed) means that the service does not start at all.

Thats interesting, Ill test that.

24 minutes ago, visualarts said:

uff, there is a new problem. I did not notice it before, but maybe because the colors were not set. At the start of the service, all fans are not always detected. Once it detects two or three fans, and the second time it detects only four. Nothing when he detects all fans. I do not know ... I have win7 64, maybe it's a problem?

Thats even more interesting.

If you click on the fan, does it update the speed and rpm in the stats section correctly? Or does it sometimes show all 0 values?

I assume you are not running the official software at the same time? Make sure it does not autostart with windows. Also, are you running any hardware monitoring software like aida? I know that new aida added support for riing fans, but it screws with my app and I assume with official one too.

Try, v1.4 there was a bug in detecting empty ports, which could explain long startup and missing fans. If this will not work Ill send you a debug version with more logging and will see.