TT RGB Plus software not working after sleep TEMPORARY FIX

mindPreBlown

So i spend $100+ on the Riing Plus RGB premium edition just to find out the software is a pain to use, no fan curve, no GPU temp and the modes are not drop down menus so you have to cycle through everything to find your favourite ones.

But those are luxury options, WHICH I EXPECTED ON A PREMIUM PRODUCT, but it doesn't bother me that much. But every time my PC wake up from sleep, the RGB fans basically reset to their default lighting mode and becomes unresponsive to the software changes. WHAT.

To make the software and RGB fans in sync again, you need to close to software and restart it. This step may sounds simple and it is, but it's just shouldn't be there for a premium product and it annoys the crap out of me.

I searched the forum saw these posts:

basically the admin says: yeah it's not our problem it's the hardware's limitation. LOL and one of the guy even shows the admin a way possibly and easily to implement a 'reboot' into the software and here i am 1 years later on V1.2.2 nothing changed. What A Joke.

Anyway, if anyone else want to solve this problem, i solved it by taking the long route of using AHK and windows 10's task scheduler:

1. download AHK and create a AHK script with following in it:

Sleep, 3000
Process, Close, TT RGB Plus.exe
Sleep, 2000
Run C:\Program Files (x86)\Tt\TT RGB Plus\TT RGB Plus.exe
Sleep, 15000
Process, Close, TT RGB Plus.exe

2. open Task Scheduler -> create basic task -> change trigger to "when i log on" -> start a program -> navigate to your AHK script -> Finish.

3. now find your task in the among the list, double click it, go to triggers, delete the existing ones, click new choose at log on for any user, uncheck all box except for first and last, change delay task to 5 seconds, click ok.

4. click new again, this time choose on workstation unlock for any user, and same check box and timer as previous one, click ok.

5. finally in the settings, the last drop down menu should be stop the existing instance.

Now to software should automatically reboot after wake/sign in. Those are just the option worked for me, feel free to improvise as the options are pretty simple to understand.

Now thermaltake please fix this problem on your software, is not that hard to implement a reboot sequence. Right now my solution is like i'm taking a crap and realise there are no toilet paper, so i have to get up and grab some from the living room and then wipe my but. 

• 1 month later...

Thank you for this.  I am not sure why this isn't getting more attention. 

I am very disappointed in the product because of the ridiculously poor software/hardware (controller) design.  The posts on this forum (ThermalMike) that users should shut down their computer, change bios/EFI settings, buy different hardware (implied), or develop their own fix is inexcusable.

Where is the fix for this? 

As mindPreBlown suggests, we can fix this ourselves as the consumer.  But that is absolutely ridiculous. I am still weighing whether I should write a script for this (I would prefer PowerShell) or just return it.

To quote ThermalMike:

"Hi,

Unfortunately a limitation of the MB USB 2.0 header. Check to see if you can do a different sleep mode that does not disable the 5V.

Basically when the system goes to sleep it drops connection to the controller, therefore you have to reboot the software for it to reconnect."

Mike, I would disagree from a consumer point of view. You are blaming what was something that should have easily been uncovered through testing before you shipped the product.

I perceive this as 1) a limitation of your own software and/or 2) a limitation of your controller.  I have a View 32 case and the cheaper controller saves state fine with no software whatsoever.  Regardless, in this era at this price point, I expect your gear to work as advertised with standard computer features like sleep.

Quite frankly, I am surprised I just dropped $300 on hardware from you guys to only be met with comments like I should shut down my computer instead of using sleep. 

Honest questions: Why do you a) not save state on the controller itself? or b) develop software to reconnect to your own controller after sleep? 

While you cannot roll back time and fix the hardware, fixing this in software seems to be a few lines of code.   You have spent more time on the forums than it would take to write the fix.

Does.not.compute.

Edited by tech007
less rant-ish - more succint

@kewlmunky - thanks for that info, I will reach out to them.

In other news, I ended up making a fix today that works without really any coding (other than copy/paste) using Task Scheduler.

1. In Task Scheduler, create a new Task - call it whatever you want, I called mine "Thermaltake"
  2. Under the Triggers tab, create a new trigger and select "On an event"
  3. Select Custom and then Edit Event Filter... 
  4. Under the XML tab, click the checkbox to Edit query manually then enter <QueryList>
      <Query Id="0" Path="System">
        <Select Path="System">*[System[Provider[@Name='Microsoft-Windows-Power-Troubleshooter'] and (Level=4 or Level=0) and (EventID=1)]]</Select>
      </Query>
    </QueryList>
  5. The only option I have selected under Advanced is "Enabled"
  6. Under Actions you will create two.  For the first one, create an action to "Start a program" and under Program/script enter taskkill - this closes the running instance
  7. In the Add arguments field enter /f /im "TT RGB Plus.exe" - this targets the app itself, if it doesn't work make sure you have the right process here
  8. Click OK and add another action
  9. For the program/script, browse to where your TT software is installed, mine is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Tt\TT RGB Plus\TT RGB Plus.exe" - this should be the same as step 7

A few other nits:

1. Not sure if needed, but under Settings I have "Allow task to be run on demand" checked, this way I could run it to test before doing a sleep test
  2. I have "If the running task does not end when requested, force it to stop" checked
  3. And finally, I have set "If the task is already running, then the following rule applies:" set to Stop the existing instance

Probably sounds more complicated than it is.  Only takes a minute to set this up.  It will be saved under Task Scheduler Library in case you need to tweak it.  I have tested it and it seems to work well. Once you log back in or otherwise wake from sleep you should see the TT program quit then reopen.  The only issue I see is the ghost tray icons which show in the bottom right of my task bar till I mouse over them.  

TT if you read this, this is why I am frustrated with you guys.  You could have easily done this yourselves in many different ways.  If there is indeed an updated cable I will got that route as it would seem like a better solve.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/3/2018 at 10:31 AM, tech007 said:

@kewlmunky - thanks for that info, I will reach out to them.

In other news, I ended up making a fix today that works without really any coding (other than copy/paste) using Task Scheduler.

1. In Task Scheduler, create a new Task - call it whatever you want, I called mine "Thermaltake"
  2. Under the Triggers tab, create a new trigger and select "On an event"
  3. Select Custom and then Edit Event Filter... 
  4. Under the XML tab, click the checkbox to Edit query manually then enter <QueryList>
      <Query Id="0" Path="System">
        <Select Path="System">*[System[Provider[@Name='Microsoft-Windows-Power-Troubleshooter'] and (Level=4 or Level=0) and (EventID=1)]]</Select>
      </Query>
    </QueryList>
  5. The only option I have selected under Advanced is "Enabled"
  6. Under Actions you will create two.  For the first one, create an action to "Start a program" and under Program/script enter taskkill - this closes the running instance
  7. In the Add arguments field enter /f /im "TT RGB Plus.exe" - this targets the app itself, if it doesn't work make sure you have the right process here
  8. Click OK and add another action
  9. For the program/script, browse to where your TT software is installed, mine is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Tt\TT RGB Plus\TT RGB Plus.exe" - this should be the same as step 7

A few other nits:

1. Not sure if needed, but under Settings I have "Allow task to be run on demand" checked, this way I could run it to test before doing a sleep test
  2. I have "If the running task does not end when requested, force it to stop" checked
  3. And finally, I have set "If the task is already running, then the following rule applies:" set to Stop the existing instance

Probably sounds more complicated than it is.  Only takes a minute to set this up.  It will be saved under Task Scheduler Library in case you need to tweak it.  I have tested it and it seems to work well. Once you log back in or otherwise wake from sleep you should see the TT program quit then reopen.  The only issue I see is the ghost tray icons which show in the bottom right of my task bar till I mouse over them.  

TT if you read this, this is why I am frustrated with you guys.  You could have easily done this yourselves in many different ways.  If there is indeed an updated cable I will got that route as it would seem like a better solve.

THANK YOU. This worked great for me. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, so Thermaltake sent me a new controller/A cable w/two micro usb connections on one end and a usb 2.0 header connector and the other end, and another cable with what looks like a power connector to microusb.

All of that to replace the one that I currently have.  The only thing that looks different is on the controller.  Right next to the microusb connector, theres like a molex connector that looks like would that that other power connector to microusb cord.

I replaced everything but adding that power to mictousb cord.  When the computer goes to sleep and wakes up, it still forgets the setting.  Maybe I'm supposed to use that other cord?  If I attached it to the controller, the other end is a micro usb connector.  I don't see anywhere it's supposed to connect to.  I mean, inside my computer case, there is no micro usb connector for it to plug into.

I tried Tech007 coding, but I couldn't get it to work.

• 3 weeks later...

This is still an issue. My correspondence with Thermaltake customer support:

Hello. After installing these and spending a fair amount of time muddling through learning how to use the software, I have determined that there is a bug of some kind.

First of all, outside of simply designing a more intuitive fan control software, you should at least have some better resources to explain the functions of the controls. I watched dozens of videos about the fans and software to try and make sense of it before I even knew enough to try and troubleshoot the rest. As a UX researcher and designer, I can tell you that barely any of the available functions of the software are clear and behave the way I would expect given their UI, and what the fans are capable of. Spend some time and money on User testing, because you have obviously designed it without the least bit of understanding of how difficult it is for even an experienced UX researcher to figure out. I digress though.

The real issue I have come across is that if I put my system to sleep, (windows 10) and then wake it up, the fans no longer respond to the software until I quit the application and relaunch it. Also, I am using two control modules each with 3 fans, and for some reason if I have two different profiles active on the two modules, When the system wakes up, the two are switched. In my system I have two 360 radiators in a custom loop configuration. One is setup as intake and the other exhaust. I set the intake fans at a higher speed to encourage positive air pressure, so the two profiles switching results in the opposite and is a real problem for dust management.

I have checked and rechecked all the connections, and they all appear to be good, which is expected since they behave normally outside the wake-up scenario I described. I tried uninstalling and re-installing the software with a few different versions available on your sites. All with the same result.

I will be very disappointed if I cannot find a solution to this, as I love the quality, appearance, and performance of these fans outside this issue. These also just replaced a set of Enermax fans that ended up having bearing issues after a few months, so I don't relish the lengthy process of shopping for a third competitor's product and reassembling my system for the third time in a short period of time.

It seems that there are some other people in your online community that have experienced similar issues and haven't come up with a solution. Please let me know that this is something you will resolve in your software.

--

CS05 (Thermaltake Technology)

Jan 22, 12:27 PST

Hello Brian,

The best way to resolve the way issue would be to turn off the TT RIING Plus software and turn it back on once your system is awake. This software requires constant connection with the controller. Since software can't run in sleep mode it interrupts the constant connection between the software and controller. This is the main cause it can't run after because it interrupts the needed constant connection. When your computer goes in to sleep mode it its cuts power and puts everything and including programs in to a suspend mode.  For something that requires constant connection it will crash and will not work until you restart the Application.

Thank You
Best Regards,
Thermaltake Customer Service

--

Talbotini

Jan 22, 12:34 PST

So you are telling me you expect users to have to go through that on a regular basis to use your software/hardware?! That’s absurd. Can’t you work on patching the software so it renews it’s connection to the fans on wake? No other RGB fan software has this issue, so why are you acting like it’s normal and not fixable?

I’ll be returning these unless you can provide a better solution.
800-988-1088 (M~F) 9:00am - 5:30pm

CS05 (Thermaltake Technology)

Jan 23, 11:44 PST

--

Hello Brian,

Please note that our program does require a constant connection to operate, and the Sleep operation interrupts this connection. There is currently no way to patch this issue or a workaround that would maintain a constant connection through a low-voltage Sleep state. 

Thank You
Best Regards,
Thermaltake Customer Service
800-988-1088 (M~F) 9:00am - 5:30pm

On 1/24/2019 at 11:05 AM, brian111 said:

There is currently no way to patch this issue or a workaround that would maintain a constant connection

The real problem here is the controller is too cheap to (re)start on its own with given/memorized settings - it would cost at most $5.50 to implement such a auto restart function but apparently no way for TT to do this (let alone in a standard Win user account).

Do they realize that the Floe 360 cost ~$269 in Australia? ... come again?

If someone got either of the two fixes above to work, please tell me how.  The fix from Mindpreblown works, but when waking up/turning on the computer, I get a pop-up if I want to allow the software to make changes.  And I have to choose yes.  And when starting from a shutdown, I get the software to load normally, and then TWO others requesting me to allow the software to make changes.  So maybe something is not right?

The tech007 fix, I tried, but nothing happened.  So I have no clue what went wrong with that one.

On 1/26/2019 at 1:35 AM, View71 said:

The real problem here is the controller is too cheap to (re)start on its own with given/memorized settings - it would cost at most $5.50 to implement such a auto restart function but apparently no way for TT to do this (let alone in a standard Win user account).

Do they realize that the Floe 360 cost ~$269 in Australia? ... come again?

There is no problem with the controller, its that their software is #### and they just did not code support for sleep/wake.

There is a command they send to the controller when the application starts, all they have to do is listen for sleep/wake events and reinitialize the controller/connection. This is what I do in my app and it works just fine with sleep and hibernate.

52 minutes ago, Teszty66 said:

There is no problem with the controller, its that their software is #### and they just did not code support for sleep/wake.

There is a command they send to the controller when the application starts, all they have to do is listen for sleep/wake events and reinitialize the controller/connection. This is what I do in my app and it works just fine with sleep and hibernate.

Yes, exactly but I would like to see this hard coded into the controller hence they can't mess with that any more ;)

I totally agree All that the controller is the cause and Thermaltake in-house testing is very poor.  The cost of the their products sure suggests to me that Thermaltake would have better controls on what they release.  Mine is not working as well, even after the suggestions mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...

This is not only a problem with ThermalTake, I have seen this lack of support for all RGB products, and software control.  I have invested $$$$ on RGB products as I think its cool and unique.  but getting just to work seems like a challenge for these people that create both hardware and software products.

I have used Corsair, Asus Aura, Razer Chroma, TT RGB (manual controller) and the TT Riing Plus, and almost every time, I see a ton of support issues, with a lake of support or response from said companies.  

I do not even put my PC's to sleep I let them run, but just turn off the monitors, this breaks the Riing RGB software as well, and when I go to restart it, it will save all fan info, and color info, but will not save my chroma sync setting in the software.  and I have to have my kids account set to admin for the whole thing to run right.  

At this point, I just might give up RGB lighting all together.  

• 3 weeks later...

Disappointing but not surprising. It's the Taiwanese way. I spent four years as a product manager in Taiwan, only took a week to understand the cultural barriers that make situations like this so difficult to resolve. Cannot solve a problem because acknowledging that there is a problem might cause someone to lose "face". Overuse of the word impossible is also a problem resolving this issue. Very difficult and impossible are not synonyms. This issue could have been solved many times in the 8 months since this thread started. Instead they gave up immediately and started the default Taiwanese customer service game of "can't you just accept it". Customer service tip for Thermaltake, you cannot ever tell your customers "no" or "you cannot help them". You cannot make your problem the customers problem. Say "we are working on a solution" and then work to ensure that your customer are satisfied.

I have over $600 of Thermaltake products in my machine. My case falls down a little on execution, an obvious scratch on my white case where a drill bit slid across the paint. Pretty clear that a hole had to be re-drilled after painting. Things like this happen, no product is perfect but you should always be trying to improve. On the other hand this refusal to address a simple fix of a software issue may be the last straw in preventing me from purchasing Thermaltake products in the future.

Come on Thermaltake step up and run your business like adults. In Taiwan I worked with many intelligent, highly educated people that could do amazing work when motivated and empowered to do so. This is an easy opportunity to allow them to learn that they can make the "impossible" possible.

3 hours ago, Wallmonster said:

Disappointing but not surprising. It's the Taiwanese way. I spent four years as a product manager in Taiwan, only took a week to understand the cultural barriers that make situations like this so difficult to resolve. Cannot solve a problem because acknowledging that there is a problem might cause someone to lose "face". Overuse of the word impossible is also a problem resolving this issue. Very difficult and impossible are not synonyms. This issue could have been solved many times in the 8 months since this thread started. Instead they gave up immediately and started the default Taiwanese customer service game of "can't you just accept it". Customer service tip for Thermaltake, you cannot ever tell your customers "no" or "you cannot help them". You cannot make your problem the customers problem. Say "we are working on a solution" and then work to ensure that your customer are satisfied.

"Lose Face" faith should not be in any customer service environment - end of story, no matter which country!
Instead, they even admit being too uneducated (read dumb) to fix an issue by saying/asking "too difficult or can't you just accept it?" - Is that really Asian logic of "saving face/honor?" (sigh)

However, the real problem is much deeper than that as other companies like MS, Google, Apple have a #### of a time to QA their products... instead the common attitude out there is to throw beta code at the customers and see what customers/users find out. Especially MS had a painfully steep corporate learning with that approach.

The smartness/logic of software companies creating a $1000 software package BuT it cost them $2000 to fix all bugs involved... must be an modern world thing and it's good coz they don't need to hire expensive competent staff.

Cat chasing tail? sure is!

On 3/10/2019 at 9:11 PM, View71 said:

"Lose Face" faith should not be in any customer service environment - end of story, no matter which country!
Instead, they even admit being too uneducated (read dumb) to fix an issue by saying/asking "too difficult or can't you just accept it?" - Is that really Asian logic of "saving face/honor?" (sigh)

However, the real problem is much deeper than that as other companies like MS, Google, Apple have a #### of a time to QA their products... instead the common attitude out there is to throw beta code at the customers and see what customers/users find out. Especially MS had a painfully steep corporate learning with that approach.

The smartness/logic of software companies creating a $1000 software package BuT it cost them $2000 to fix all bugs involved... must be an modern world thing and it's good coz they don't need to hire expensive competent staff.

Cat chasing tail? sure is!

Of course, I am experiencing this issue as well. The reason I felt I needed to post on this topic is that it feels ridiculous to me that other company's, like Corsair's, peripherals work just fine after sleep or startup of any kind. If they can get their software and hardware to work why can't Thermaltake. This should be addressed soon before TT starts losing more customers.

• 3 weeks later...

I just ran into this issue... hard to understand that it remains unfixed but earned the "premium" liquid cooler a 1* rating at Amazon and a crystal clear warning for future buyers.

Seems that such reviews clearly describing persisting problems and the unwillingness of the company to fix it are the only tool customers have.

I found a solution though, MoshiMoshi0 provices TTController on github, json based config but with a tremendous support.. just a small service running in the background and doing what I want... and that one survices hibernation.

Hello, all!  I was on the phone with Tt support earlier because I am having this same issue and I was able to submit an RMA with their guidance to get the revised power cables for my Riing 12 Plus fan controller boxes, but not wanting to wait and see I was on here most of last night trying the two Task Scheduler-based workarounds.  They didn't work for me.

So I've spent the past couple of hours figuring it out and I have a solution that works for me.  Hopefully anyone else out there for whom the first two also don't work and who spent $200 on these fans only to see unicorn vomit every time the wake their computers up will find this extremely helpful.

This is in Windows 10, by the way.

Start by opening Task Scheduler (search it in your Cortana search bar)

Action->Create Task...

General Tab: Name it "TT RGB Plus Restart" or whatever you want.  Same tab, check the radio button for "Run whether user is logged on or not" and check the box for "Do not store password.  The task will only have access to local computer resources."  Then check the box for "Run with highest privileges"

Triggers Tab: New...-> then in the new "New Trigger" window that opens up, next to "Begin the task:" choose the drop-down option "On an event".  Down under "Settings" leave it on "Basic" and use the "Log:" drop-down menu to select "System".  Then use the "Source" drop-down menu to select "Kernel-General". In the "Event ID" box, type "1".  Then click OK. 

Actions Tab:  New...-> then in the new "New Action" window that opens up, enter "C:\Windows\System32\taskkill.exe" (quotes included) into the "Program/script:" box.  In the "Add arguments (optional):" box, type /IM /F "TT RGB Plus.exe" (quotes included).  In the "Start in (optional):" box, type "C:\Windows\System32\" without the quotes.  Then click OK.  New...-> then in the new "New Action" window that opens up, enter "C:\Program Files (x86)\Tt\TT RGB Plus\TT RGB Plus.exe" (quotes included) into the "Program/script:" box.  Change this according to where it is installed on your machine or just navigate to it using the "Browse..." button in this window instead.  Then click OK.

Conditions Tab: Uncheck the box for "Start the task only if the computer is on AC power".

Settings Tab: Change the "If the task is already running, then the following rule applies:" drop-down to "Stop the existing instance".  Then click OK.

That should do it!  Every time you bring you computer out of Sleep, it will show unicorn vomit for a few seconds and then set it to clean white rings like mine or whatever you've got your profile set to.  I hope this helps!

PS: I recommend right-clicking the TT RGB Plus icon in the task tray and enabling the start with Windows option, and then shutting down and restarting your computer before or after implementing this workaround.

Edited by Sideshow Pat
Added step in Triggers Tab section.