Massive RGB Case Design - What are the limits?

Saunders17283

I've done some searching both on this forum and with Google but cannot seem to pinpoint the answers to my questions.

I recently ordered everything for a large custom build with many, many RGB items. Before the build gets started, I want to make sure I have all the controllers, splitters, etc... I need so that I don't have to stop and wait halfway through the build for more gear to arrive.

This is the build list and I'm curious how all of the RGB will connect:

- Thermaltake Level 20 XT Case
- ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme
- AMD Threadripper 1920x CPU
- Thermaltake Pacific W6 CPU Water Block TR4 (CL-W225-CU00SW-A)
- ASUS ROG STRIX 1080 TI 11GB Graphics Card
- Thermaltake Pacific V-GTX RGB GPU Water Block (CL-W194-CUS00SW-A)
- (2) Thermaltake Pacific Radiator PLUS LED Panel (CL-W220-PL00SW-A)
- (2) Thermaltake Pacific RGB LED 6-Pack PETG Fittings (CL-W133-CU00BL-A)
- Thermaltake Riing Plus 12 RGB Premium 120mm 5-Pack Fans (CL-W093-AL00BL-A)
- Thermaltake Toughpower iRGB Plus 850W Platinum (PS-TPG-0850FPCGxx-S)
- (2) Thermaltake Riing Plus 20 RGB Premium 200mm Fans (CL-F069-PL20SW-A)
- Thermaltake TT Sync Controller (CL-O015-PL00BL-A)
- Thermaltake PR22-D5 Plus Pump/Reservoir (CL-W187-PL00SW-A)
- (2) Thermaltake Pacific Lumi Plus Magnetic 3-Pack RGB Strip (CL-O014-PL00SW-A)

By my count, there are roughly 31 RGB's to connect. I belive the Zenith Extreme has just one Addressable RGB port. Quesitons:

1) Can I daisy chain TT SYNC's?
2) Can I plug the standard controllers into one of the 9 ports on the TT SYNC? In other words, use the standard controller that comes with let's say the LUMI PLUS by plugging in all the LED strips to that controller and then connect that controller into one of the 9 ports on the TT SYNC.
3) If the answers to the above two questions are "no", what is my solution?

Thanks!!!

That's a real nice case. I just bought a Thermaltake - the view 71 I believe is the name, I've never built a computer before

But I got the case and now I'm going to look for ideas on what would be the best choices on RGB accessories.  Your case must

be a little similar the one I bought, parts layout wise? I will definitely be reading around and google the parts on your list.

Thanks.

1: The tt sync controllers are not chainable. However you can split a digital rgb signal. So you can run two with some small modding. 

2: You can not plug the standard controllers into the sync controller as the standard controllers are looking for a usb connection that the sync controller does not provide.

That would be a bit over kill but yes. you just have to make sure you connect them correctly as it is not forgiving. A split second with it hooked up wrong and a lot of damage can happen.

Now the thing is I am not sure how the tt sync gets its 5v for the leds. I have been meaning to buy two TT sync's for testing\diagnostics but just got other things that I want before I buy something that I am not going to be using in my own build. But I have been told that it pulls from the 5v from motherboard and I have also been told that the controller provides the 5v power. The main thing is I have yet to get a definitive answer on that. I would love to get my hands on one just to hit it with a multimeter.

What I am rambling about is if it pulls the 5v from the motherboard it will not provide enough amps for powering all that.
On my build I had to pull my 5v from my psu due to my motherboard only providing 2 amps and I needed about 8 amps. However I don't recommend doing unless you know what you are doing. 

bmCF3VK.jpg

Thanks tack but I'm looking for a far "safer" approach. Last thing I want to do is damage something.

How about a PCI card like this? Could I perhaps add a few TT SYNC's to this card?
http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl=product/product.detail.tpl&no=181&type=Gaming&type_sub=RGB LED Lighting&model=AK-RLD-02

• 2 weeks later...

Tack,

I am happy to report that this latest route worked perfectly. Currently I have (2) TT Sync's controlling (18) connections via the XSPC splitter. So I use the ASUS Aura platform to control all of my RGB LED with the exception of the Thermaltake RGB Fittings. I am still stumped as to how to incorporate those with the Addressable header. Any thoughts?

Thanks for all your help on this!!

For any others who come across this thread, I needed a solution to handle the excessive amount of RGB LED I wanted to incorporate into ASUS Aura so it could all be controlled simultaneously.

The solution that worked for me was to buy:

(1) XSPC splitter - Click Here
(2) Thermaltake TT Sync's - Click Here

Step 1 - Connect the XSPC splitter to the 5v Header (DO NOT CONNECT TO 12V Header) on your MB.
Step 2 - Connect the XSPC splitter to SATA power

Step 3 - Connect all of your RGB Lighting to the TT Sync's following the instruction manuals for them
Step 4 - Connect all of your fan controlls for the TT Sync's
Step 5 - Connect both of the TT Sync's 5v Headers to the XSPC Splitter

This worked for me with two TT Sync's but I imagine that since the power is coming from SATA, you could potentially connect eight TT Sync's to the splitter. But I am no expert on this so I could be wrong. Thanks to Tack for all of his help steering me the right way on this!

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2018 at 3:46 PM, Saunders17283 said:

For any others who come across this thread, I needed a solution to handle the excessive amount of RGB LED I wanted to incorporate into ASUS Aura so it could all be controlled simultaneously.

Step 1 - Connect the XSPC splitter to the 5v Header (DO NOT CONNECT TO 12V Header) on your MB.

Step 3 - Connect all of your RGB Lighting to the TT Sync's following the instruction manuals for them

This worked for me with two TT Sync's but I imagine that since the power is coming from SATA, you could potentially connect eight TT Sync's to the splitter. But I am no expert on this so I could be wrong. Thanks to Tack for all of his help steering me the right way on this!

I just want to say thank you very much for this information.

Kinda stupid Thermaltake did not foresee that this would end up being a problem and not coming up with a solution as soon as they made the TT premium sync controller.

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2018 at 5:29 AM, Tack said:

1: The tt sync controllers are not chainable. However you can split a digital rgb signal. So you can run two with some small modding. 

2: You can not plug the standard controllers into the sync controller as the standard controllers are looking for a usb connection that the sync controller does not provide.

if i have 2x 5v RBG headers on my mb is that splitting signal aswell? like is that gonna work :D

• 1 month later...

So . I am creating a similarly massive RGB desk build, with 12 Riing Plus Fans, 3 Lumi Strips, the W4 block, and 18 of the newer Plus RGB fittings for a total of 34 RGB devices.. my MB has 2x 5v addressable headers (and 2x 12v standards). Before deciding to get the fittings I had tested it with 2 Sync controllers and a Commander FP and the fans/block/lumi strips all worked fine. However, with the addition of the 18 fittings I'm wondering if there is any way to add or chain additional sync controllers or if there is another hub option that would work.. in essence it is looking like I need a total of 4 sync hubs to manage all this, but with only 2 5v headers on MB thats an issue..  can the above plan be further expanded (safely) to meet the massive RGB needs for my desk build or does anyone have other ideas? WIP pic is attached btw.. thanks!

20190302_140657.jpg

• 11 months later...
On 11/1/2018 at 7:46 PM, Saunders17283 said:

They don't sell that hub anymore. What outrageously sh*t marketing from xXSPC

• 1 year later...