Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JMak00

Connecting and syncing Pure Plus fans

Recommended Posts

Hi all...I am buying a View 37 chassis aRGB with the 2x200m Pure Plus fans up front and a single 120 Pure Plus in the rear.  In addition, I am also buying a 3-pack of the 120 Pure Plus and 3-pack of the 140 Pure Plus.  In all, I will be running 2x200 front; 3x140 down the right side; 1x120 rear; 2x120 bottom; and, hopefully, a 1x120 on a Cryorig H7 air cooler.

I understand that this chassis comes with a pci bracket that can control fans, but it appears that it is limited to 2 controllers being connected at one time.  Hence, I am trying like heck to find a how to on how to connect 5 Pure Plus fans to one of the controllers and 4 to the other.  Or, alternatively, if I can't run 5 and 4 fans off the controllers, then maybe get my hands on another pci rgb bracket such as comes with the case.

Now, I am working with a non-rgb mobo, an Asrock Z97 Pro3.  I believe I have sufficient usb ports on the mobo to plug the controllers into.

Is there a how-to video for connecting five fans to a single controller relative to the Pure Plus fans?

Thanks in advance.  Any advice/suggestions is appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the built in controller is designed to work on its own and not hook up with any additional controllers.There are a couple of other solutions.

If you prefer to use your motherboard's software to control the lighting, you could get Thermaltake's TT Sync Controller. This is a 9 port controller that plugs into a motherboard's RGB header. I believe this requires you to run PWM cables between the controller and the motherboard, as the BIOS settings will then control the speed of the fans.

Alternatively, each pack of fans you purchase will also include a 5 port controller that plugs into a USB 2.0 header on your motherboard and allows lighting and fan speed control via Thermaltake's software. One can chain up to 16 of these controllers together. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kewlmunky said:

Looks like the built in controller is designed to work on its own and not hook up with any additional controllers.There are a couple of other solutions.

If you prefer to use your motherboard's software to control the lighting, you could get Thermaltake's TT Sync Controller. This is a 9 port controller that plugs into a motherboard's RGB header. I believe this requires you to run PWM cables between the controller and the motherboard, as the BIOS settings will then control the speed of the fans.

Alternatively, each pack of fans you purchase will also include a 5 port controller that plugs into a USB 2.0 header on your motherboard and allows lighting and fan speed control via Thermaltake's software. One can chain up to 16 of these controllers together. 

 

Thank you.  I wrongly assumed that the controller that came with the fans was a 3 fan controller.  My mobo doesn't have a rgb header, so it looks like I'll be using 2 controllers and maybe even be able to connect them to the pci bracket so I can control them all without removing a panel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JMak00 said:

Thank you.  I wrongly assumed that the controller that came with the fans was a 3 fan controller.  My mobo doesn't have a rgb header, so it looks like I'll be using 2 controllers and maybe even be able to connect them to the pci bracket so I can control them all without removing a panel.

 

I'm looking at that case more, and it appears the included fans don't have the standard 9 pin USB 2.0 cable that comes when one buys the fans separately. 

If you haven't already, try getting on the phone with ThermaltakeUSA to see they can figure out a way to get all your equipment working together. You could also try contacting @ThermalMike on here for some help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kewlmunky said:

 

I'm looking at that case more, and it appears the included fans don't have the standard 9 pin USB 2.0 cable that comes when one buys the fans separately. 

If you haven't already, try getting on the phone with ThermaltakeUSA to see they can figure out a way to get all your equipment working together. You could also try contacting @ThermalMike on here for some help.

That would be incredibly frustrating if you can't connect the fans that come with the case to the controllers purchased with additional fans.  What an oversight that would be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely infuriating...the Pure Plus fans that come with the View 37 ARGB are not compatible with the Pure Plus fan controller you can buy from a retailer.  Unreal.  Why would they do that?  It's the same damned fan.  Worse, TT doesn't sell the 200mm Pure Plus fans as stand alone items, they're only available on this case (maybe others).  And, worse, they wouldn't even let me send them 200mm fan and 120mm fan from this case for direct replacement with connectors that would work with the fan controllers that come in the Pure Plus 3 packs.  Maybe I am being unreasonable, but that seems like an super simple fix if their going to engineer products this way and not make compatible products available to consumers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was originally confused when you said it came with 200mm pure plus fans, as I couldn't recall them ever being released.

I agree that it is very annoying for them to pull such a maneuver. Having to manufacture a new connector and controller and keep stock of all of that couldn't be saving them any money versus reusing what they already have and  including the 5 port controller with the case. If in fact there is no way for the case ones to work with the stand alone purchased ones, they should have that listed somewhere in the case description.

Did you get on the phone with them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kewlmunky said:

I was originally confused when you said it came with 200mm pure plus fans, as I couldn't recall them ever being released.

I agree that it is very annoying for them to pull such a maneuver. Having to manufacture a new connector and controller and keep stock of all of that couldn't be saving them any money versus reusing what they already have and  including the 5 port controller with the case. If in fact there is no way for the case ones to work with the stand alone purchased ones, they should have that listed somewhere in the case description.

Did you get on the phone with them?

Yeah, I talked to CS yesterday and was advised that the fan connectors of the fans included with the View 37 are not compatible with the controllers that come with the Pure Plus fans sold separately. 

I think I made an error in assuming that the included case fans are the Pure Plus. TT's marketing materials refer to them as Plus fans and the pictures of them appear to match the Pure Plus fans. However, TT nowhere that I can find actually tells us what the included case fans are. 

You noticed yesterday something that I missed and that was the absence of the USB connector. I also missed that the fan connector that connects to the included controller that comes with the case doesn't have the same pin out as the Pure Plus fans sold separately. 

CS was apologetic and also similarly confused by what appears to be the same fans, but different connectors. Unfortunately, CS wasn't aware of Pure Plus fans in 200mm size, so, I can't even buy them let alone maybe just swap with them. 

I PM'd ThermalMike via the forum here and also messaged him via FB, but no response, yet. I hope that means he's seen the messages and is tracking something down. 

What's worse here is that even if I wanted to go with the standard View 37 RGB case, that's $20 more than the ARGB I have in the way. 

Worst case scenario is that the 3 included case fans in the ARGB may not be perfectly sync'd with the additional fans I am installing. I can't imagine how that would look, so I'll do my case switch and if it works, cool, if not, then I send it all back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, Thermaltake built the View 37 RGB case to include a built-in PCI controller bracket that mounts to the pci slots at the rear of the case...but TT left this feature off of the ARGB version.  What is going on at TT that they have these massive oversights?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×