Questions about Riing Tio 1400mm Circular 12 LEG RGB and Riing Plus 14 RGB TT

thermaltakenewuser

Hi, I have some questions about these two products:

Riing Plus 14 RGB TT Premium Edition

Riing Trio 140mm TT Premium Edition

1. What are the differences between them?

2. For the Plus version, when the fan spins, I can see dark edge of the blade. Is it possible to make those edges invisible when the RGB is light color like rainbow? From Youtube videos, I see those blade edges.

3. For the Trio version, those black edge are not visible. Am I right?

4. I have an ASUS motherboard and Fan Extension Card. I also have a BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2 case with 8 PWM fan ports. Should I use the ASUS motherboard and fan extension card/beQuiet PCB to control the fans speed + RGB port of the motherboard/beQuiet PCB OR buy the TT Sync SATA Power 9 port Addressible LED Controller Premium Edition?

5. I have G.Skill Trident Z RGB RAM and Corsair RGB Mouse Pad. Is it possible to sync these products with Riing Trio/Riing Plus without issue?

Thanks

Edited by thermaltakenewuser
added more questions

The Riing Plus fans have a single light ring, consisting of 12 addressable RGB lights, around the perimeter of the fan  blades.

The Riing Trio fans have three light rings: one ring inside the fan blade hub that has 6 addressable RGB lights, a ring on the front of the fan that goes around the perimeter of the fan blades that has 12 addressable RGB lights, and another ring on the back side of the fan that has 12 addressable RGB lights. This totals you 30 addressable RGB lights on the Riing Trio fans. The Riing Trio fans may also have better performance ratings, but I haven't looked at that too closely.

As far as their appearance; I don't own them Trio fans, so I can't accurately comment. I know that the product images for the RGB fans always look different than what I see in videos from consumers on youtube. I would say that what people capture in videos is closer than the product images you see.

Thanks. So the Tio fans can produce more colors and patterns than the Plus fans? I prefer fans that have a thick colorful donut-like rings.

Given that I only have one internal usb 2.0 port on the motherboard, I should get an internal usb hub?

Am I correct that even the 3-fan pack has a "Digital Lighting Controller", I still need the TT Sync SATA Powered 9 port Addressable LED Controller Premium Edition if I want to control the RGB of the fans or sync them with other RGB components from other manufacturers using ASUS AUROA?

Also, if I have the LED Controller Premium Edition, do I still need the "Digital Lighting Controller"?

I believe they are both rated for 16.8 million colors and have all of the same available lighting effects in the software. However the trios look like they can be much brighter and the fins also illuminate more due to being a frosted white color instead of black like in the Riing Plus fans. So it sounds like the Trios are right for you. They also have Riing Duo fans that have a single light ring around the fan blade perimeter like the Riing Plus, but also has the 6 RGB light ring inside the fan hub. This gives you a total of 18 lights for the Riing Duo fans. 

The controllers that come with run off of a nine pin USB 2.0 header, not USB port. You can also daisy chain the controllers, so you need only one USB 2.0 header.

The 3 fan pack does come with a controller meant to run the fans with Thermaltake's software. So if you wish to control the fans with your motherboard software you will need to purchase the TT Sync Controller separately.

You either use the included five port controller or the TT Sync Controller; you do not use both at the same time. Also note that when using the TT Sync Controller to control the lights with your motherboard software, you will need to run PWM cables between the cable and your motherboard so that the BIOS can control the speed of the fans, as you will not be able to do it via software.

6 hours ago, kewlmunky said:

You either use the included five port controller or the TT Sync Controller; you do not use both at the same time. Also note that when using the TT Sync Controller to control the lights with your motherboard software, you will need to run PWM cables between the cable and your motherboard so that the BIOS can control the speed of the fans, as you will not be able to do it via software.

Thanks. In this case, do the temperature sensors on the mothebroard determine the speeds of the fans? Am I correct that the trio fans can generate more colors and patterns using the TT software than via the motherboard software (in my case ASUS Auroa)? Also, three fans are included in the trio fans kit. Can I buy one fan to test?

You'd have to look at the specifications of your motherboard to figure out what each specific PWM connector is tied to. Most likely all of them would read sensors on the motherboard, but may there could be a case where it can read say directly from the CPU instead. But again, you'd have to check the documentation for your motherboard.

You would have to compare the number of effects in the Thermaltake software vs. ASUS Auroa to say for sure. I'm sure there is a lot of overlap, and each probably have their unique ones as well. 

I haven't seen Trio fans sold individually, so you may have to contact Thermaltake to purchase just one.

Thanks. I just contacted ASUS about the motherboard in my workstation. They said that there is no 5V ADD Header! Is this unusual?

In this case, it seems that there are two options:

1. Thermaltake software to control the RGB and the BIOS of the motherboard to control the speed of the fans. In this case, need to connect a PWM port of the motherboard to the TT Sync Controller.

2. Just use the Digital Lighting Controller that comes with the Riing Trio to control both the RGB and speed of the fans. In this case, I need a USB 2.0 header on the motherboard and if it is in use, I need to get an internal usb 2.0 hub. Am I correct? For this option, where do the fans get the temperature readings from? Digital Lighting Controller or from the motherboard?

Any addition option? Which is better? Initially I may have the 3 front case BeQuiet Silentwings3 fans controlled by the motherboard while the back and top two fans from the Trio kits controlled by the TT Sync Controller or Digital Lighting Controller. If the Trio fans are not noisy, I may replace the front three Silentwings3 fans as well.

How old is your motherboard? RGB headers are relatively new; especially the 5V variant that allows for addressable lights.

Option 1 is out of the picture for you. The TT Sync controller requires a 5V motherboard header and does not use Thermaltake's software. 

For option 2: If you only have a single USB 2.0 header you could try finding an adapter/splitter cable. Or get an add-in PCI/PCIE card. Just ensure it has a USB 2.0 9 pin header and not just USB ports. The controller interfaces with your motherboard to get a temperature reading. It goes solely off of the CPU reading.

12V header is for analog (non-addressable) lighting, and thus will not be compatible with the TT Sync Controller.

For the USB 2.0 connector, it sounds like they are saying it can provide you with enough bandwidth for two USB 2.0 ports to run at full speed. As far as I know, you just need the one connector and then you can daisy chain the rest of the controllers (up to 16 max).

I would open up the case and actually look at the motherboard with a diagram and find the USB 2.0 connector and ensure it is a 9 pin header, before deciding what you need to purchase.

Yes, the USB 2.0 connector is fine. I double checked with ASUS.

My concern right now is regardless of whether I use the TT Sync Controller or Digital Lighting Controller, will the fan speed control still will work as usual if I run Linux on my computer? If the fan stops working probably when I switch from Windows to Linux, then the products will not be suitable for me,

I did a quick search on Google, and all I could find about their software and Linux was someone's GitHub project that appears to be their own software for controlling the fans. However I don't see support for the Riing Trio fans listed. The owner appears to be taking requests to add products, but there is no guarantee.

https://github.com/chestm007/linux_thermaltake_riing

Another member on the forum has written their own software as well, but I am unsure if it has Linux support. They are working on Riing Trio support, though.

Thermaltake's support is terrible. Purchasing their products in the hopes that someone else's software will get you what you want may be a large gamble. You could try ordering off of Amazon, as they are usually great about returns. Then you can send things back if you can't get it working. Otherwise, I recommend looking elsewhere.