Motherboard and Fan Voltage Compatibility Questions

SilentRadical

I have the Asus Hero Maximus XI motherboard. I got the Thermaltake Water 3.0 ARGB Motherboard Sync Edition 360 Intel/AMD All-in-One Liquid Cooling System 120mm High Efficiency Radiator CPU Cooler, and I also got Thermaltake Pure Plus 12 RGB TT Premium Edition 120mm fans. Will I be able to use all the features as intended? I’ve become confused because I can’t figure out where I’m supposed to connect the mainboard signal bridge cable on my motherboard. The mainboard signal bridge cable says that it is +5V D, but my motherboard ADD.HEADER says that it is +12V. Can the fans be connected directly to the motherboard? There are also 4 pins on the motherboard for the AIO Pump, but the included cable is for three pins. Does this constitute a compatibility issue? Thank you in advance for your response.

You cannot connect the 5V signal cable to the 12V header. This will fry your components. 12V headers operate via analogue signal and 5V headers are digital signals. The fans will not be able to directly connect either. Unless you can find some sort of PCI/PCIE expansion card to provide a 5V header, it sounds like you will not be able to connect this product to your motherboard.

On 4/11/2019 at 8:41 AM, kewlmunky said:

You cannot connect the 5V signal cable to the 12V header. This will fry your components. 12V headers operate via analogue signal and 5V headers are digital signals. The fans will not be able to directly connect either. Unless you can find some sort of PCI/PCIE expansion card to provide a 5V header, it sounds like you will not be able to connect this product to your motherboard.

Will connecting the fans through a PWM chord that are then connected to a controller powered through SATA solve the problem? In your opinion, should I just look for more compatible products?

Here is the manual: https://www.thermaltake.com/db/support/usermanual/_da58e99165ab4dae9260f44773928e0c.pdf

Edited by SilentRadical
Added relevant info.

I am building virtually the same system as you, Maximus Hero XI , Thermaltake Pure Plus 14 RGB TT Premium Edition X 4, Thermaltake Pure Plus 12 RGB TT Premium Edition X5, 360mm Water 3.0 ARGB. There is two 12 volt addressable headers on the board, plus two 5 volt addressable headers which are right along side the 12 volts. I am using two controllers, one i ordered separately a Thermaltake TT Sync SATA Powered 9 Port Addressable LED Controller Premium Edition and will use the other from the 3 pack boxes of fans. I am in the process of building the machine. I am in new territory when it comes to rgb but when I am done I will post some pics on how it was connected. It seems a bit tricky with Aura and Thermaltake but the controllers are compatible from everything I read and saw.

On 4/15/2019 at 10:20 AM, Axeinator said:

I am building virtually the same system as you, Maximus Hero XI , Thermaltake Pure Plus 14 RGB TT Premium Edition X 4, Thermaltake Pure Plus 12 RGB TT Premium Edition X5, 360mm Water 3.0 ARGB. There is two 12 volt addressable headers on the board, plus two 5 volt addressable headers which are right along side the 12 volts. I am using two controllers, one i ordered separately a Thermaltake TT Sync SATA Powered 9 Port Addressable LED Controller Premium Edition and will use the other from the 3 pack boxes of fans. I am in the process of building the machine. I am in new territory when it comes to rgb but when I am done I will post some pics on how it was connected. It seems a bit tricky with Aura and Thermaltake but the controllers are compatible from everything I read and saw.

Hey there! It is weird, but from what I can tell, it just needs to be connected to that +5v header next to the +12v. What partially threw me off is the word “strip” which I differentiated from “fan” header. I also didn’t like the fact that the cable will not stay on the addressable header well at all. It is extremely loose. Is that just normal or is there a way to address that? These are the questions I’m asking. Let me know how things go! I much appreciate it.

Hello Silent, I am no professional but my system is up and running and is working great. I needed to purchase a 9 port TT Controller  "Thermaltake TT Sync SATA Powered 9 Port Addressable LED Controller Premium Edition" i plugged in all nine Thermaltake Pure Plus 12 and 14 RGB TT Premium Edition fans into the controller. (dont forget to attach the 3 fan headers to the motherboard also to the controller) the data port goes to your 5 volt addressable header. MUST BE THE 5 Volt. The Thermaltake Water 3.0 ARGB Motherboard Sync Edition High Efficiency Radiator CPU Cooler CL-W234-PL12SW-A  I plugged into the second addressable 5 volt header and for power I used the 3 amp fan header labled H_AMP. System works flawlessly on the Maximus Hero XI. There is no way of stabilizing the header pins, I just attached the header cable on and used a tie on the frame above to keep in place. I agree they should have a better connector for that.