RGB Setup woes: Level 20 MT ARGB

DamoJR

I just joined to say I'm having the same issue. Commander C36 case with Asus X570 Crosshair Hero VIII. Everything is fine until I turn control over to my motherboard, bottom lights go out and the top is dim. I've been back and forth with tech support and gotten a new controller but it didn't help. I managed to get it to work one time by disconnecting and reconnecting the fans while it was running. After a reboot it no longer worked. Now that I have 2 controllers I'm considering using one for each and a splitter just to try.

Same issue here, I've got a View 37 ARGB case and a ASUS Prime X570 Pro.  Only the fan plugged into FAN1 partially lights.  It syncs with Aura though, it's the right color and effect, but only about a 1/3rd of the LEDs illuminate.  The fans work fine with the controller doing the work, just not when controlled via Aura.

As to the person questioning the noise, actually 200mm fans have a very slow top end RPM and are virtually silent.  I can't hear the rear fan either.  I wouldn't say I've got the hearing of a baby, but I'm not deaf either.  Sure it would be nice if there was a PWM or DC fan control header on the controller board, but it's not really necessary.

Edit:  I've also reached out to TT support a few times and haven't heard anything back.  I contacted ASUS support and they answered with a request that I connect the fans ARGB cable directly to the motherboard.  I attached a photo explaining that the fans had a single connector for powering the fan and controlling the ARGB LEDs and explained that it couldn't be done.  Well at least not without bastardizing the cable which would require finding a pinout.  They said they'd look into it.  Since this issue seems to be motherboard agnostic, the issue is probably ThermalTakes and not the motherboard makers hardware / software.

I am having the same issue! I have the commander C31 and Crosshair VIII hero MB. LED works fine with the controller, but as soon as i press and hold the button for MB control. Only 1 LED on the fan lights up. I've noticed on aura sync settings addressable header 1 has 1 LED. I can not edit this. i try changing it to 18 (9 LED on each fan). click save, but it is still 1 LED. However ARGB header 2 can be changed to 18. So i switch the connector to my ARGB Header 2. and now all LED lights up and working. BUTTTTTT whenever i reboot or wake up pc from sleep, ARGB HEADER 2 LED is back to 1 and can not be changed, but this time ARB Header 1 can be changed. So everytime i boot or wake my pc up, i got to keep switching ARGB header which is a temporary fix but is annoying!.

i believe the there is some compatiability issue with the controller and new MB or It could be AURA sync. Is anyone having issue with msi/Gigabyte sync? Seriously i regret buying this case, the main reason i bought this case was the 2x200 ARGB fans that can sync with aura. but It does not work! I should have bought fractal design meshify. 

Hi there, I am also experiencing the same issues, with the ARGB fans on a TT Versa J24 case, plugged into an ASUS TUF X570 Mobo...this is so frustrating. I actually saw all the fans working properly for a few minutes after a fresh OS install, but they stopped working soon after. Please let's keep this thread going until one of us comes up with a simple fix, as it seems it's a widespread bug!

I replaced the controller on my Commander C36 a month ago and it didn't change a thing. I have a new controller to motherboard cable on the way. Set to arrive on Monday. I have no idea if that will make a difference but its the only thing left. Exact same problem everyone else is having, case control fine but motherboard control shuts off "fan 2" lights and "fan one" is dim. I know both ARGB headers are good as I have a chassis fan connected to one and a Water 3.0 ARGB connected to the other. Both sync fine. If the cable doesn't work I'm just going to get a couple Cooler Master MF200R ARGB fans. My rear exhaust fan is a Cooler Master MF120R ARGB and it works beautifully. Edit: please excuse the cable management as I haven't worried about it since I seem to be having to undo it all trying to fix the issue.

PC.jpg

Edited by todd200
Added to

2 hours ago, todd200 said:

Twenty minutes after I posted this I got an email from Thermaltake saying they believe the issue is the controller but to request it be tested before shipping as it will be the second replacement. I filled out RMA. I'll update once I try the new cable and then controller if needed.

ok dude, keep us posted pls! 

You can add me to the list of RBG controller issues too.  My MB is a ASUS Prime TRX40 PRO.  Case is a View 37. 

Same problem as above.  Thermaltake sent me a new Controller Board and I sourced a new (better) connector cable 

Long story short... problem remains.   I have tried all of the various combinations.  NONE solve the problem. (new board, new cable) (new board old cable) (old board, old  cable) (old board new cable) I have also tried all three current versions of the AURA software available from the ASUS web site...  Nope.

Before I ditch these fans I'm off to the electronics store to try and rewire them into a third party controller. 

Otherwise I love the case and the airflow and thermals on my Threadripper system is VERY GOOD.

5 hours ago, GregAMD said:

You can add me to the list of RBG controller issues too.  My MB is a ASUS Prime TRX40 PRO.  Case is a View 37. 

Same problem as above.  Thermaltake sent me a new Controller Board and I sourced a new (better) connector cable 

Long story short... problem remains.   I have tried all of the various combinations.  NONE solve the problem. (new board, new cable) (new board old cable) (old board, old  cable) (old board new cable) I have also tried all three current versions of the AURA software available from the ASUS web site...  Nope.

Before I ditch these fans I'm off to the electronics store to try and rewire them into a third party controller. 

Otherwise I love the case and the airflow and thermals on my Threadripper system is VERY GOOD.

I love the case, cable management and layout is great, thermals are awesome. I didn't raise the temp of my GPU a single degree when I vertical mounted. My only issue is the front case fans. I can live with the fact I can't control the speed because they are quiet and obviously move air well. I can't stand that I cannot make them truly match my other components. The entire issue could be fixed if the fans didn't have proprietary connectors. Let them use normal four pin fan and 3 pin ARGB connectors and maybe throw a splitter cable for each in the box. IMHO Thermaltake makes great cases that function well from a performance standpoint but the ARGB issues makes them difficult to recommend. I have a buddy putting together a build list for his first DIY build ever. He's been looking at Thermaltake cases but I had to tell him either go for the non ARGB or be prepared to replace the fans. I will give kudos to Thermaltake Tech Support. They have been mostly great about answering emails and troubleshooting. I'm going to try a new cable and controller per their request but I think the issue is just plain incompatibility with at least Aura Sync.

I received a whole new kit in the mail today. New Thermaltake board and new Thermaltake board to motherboard wiring. Short answer is no change. Still does exactly as it did before. I have another Thermaltake board coming that is supposed to be tested before shipping but my hopes aren't high. Three bad boards to the same person would be nearly impossible. The one coming would make 4. I really think its a software/controller conflict and no amount of the same parts will ever fix it.

okay, so i gave it another look, and got it working, even though ive moved on and replaced the fans with noctua and added some airgoo led's

what i've done now is taken the thermaltake "controller, and removed EVERYTHING from it except the connectors. i took every resistor, capacitor and the 2 IC's off the board. 

i cut off the sata power connection  and rewired the 12v and gnd to a fan plug,

i then soldered a jumper from the 5v pin of the mobo argb in header to the 5v pin on "fan 1" and the same with digital in to the dig in on "fan 1"

now the fans get fan power, and the leds get argb 5v, dig in goes to dig in on fan 1, and daisy chains from there.

works 

sure tt is never gonna honor the warranty on it, but did anyone still believe that they ever would?

also, i did verify that the "I" on the board is not a tach line, its actually ground for the 12v system.

so there is no tach, the fans just spin at whatever speed the 12v sends them to.

as in + and - instead of 12v and gnd.

dunno why they did that, but yeah.

also, in case you were wondering, both grounds are tied together on the board within the fans, so i would still recommend replacing those soon anyways.

this isnt a perfect soloution, but it works wonderfully.

tldr;
remove everything from board
jumper aRGB: 5v to fan 1: 5v
jumper aRGB: Di to fan 1: Di
connect 12v and - on "com 1" to a chassis fan header, or leave it if you feel like wasting a sata connection.
restart your computer.

p.s.: i know i hacked the board mod up, i was getting a little frustrated the other night.

20200221_154914.jpg

New "tested before shipping" board did exactly the same. Rather than risk my motherboard to my soldering skills I went the easy albeit more expensive route and ordered 2 Pure 20 fans to replace these with the proprietary connectors. Up side being since they will be connected to a fan header I'll be able to control speed.

So after a clean install, the ARGB case fans on my J24 Versa seem to "work" about 60-70% of the time. They light up in the default Aura Sync rainbow mode. They cannot be controlled from the software though. I am using the latest version of the Armoury Crate software. I've also tested the latest Corsair iCue software, which seems to see the Asus X570 TUF Plus motherboard and allows me to control all the zones apart from the ARGB case fans.

I've managed to control the light effects for a few minutes so i am now close to certain that this is a software issue, most likely and incompatibility with the Asus mobo, which should be resolved in future bios updates and/or armoury crate updates.

Here's an image of houw the armoury crate software sees my ARGB header:

I've1049718945_47CFF566-A80E-4212-90C6-9EFD1488769B.png.thumb.jpg.1c98f8b6be37f9744551c3a87d4a4390.jpg

And the versions of my ASUS software

Item                       Version     
----                       -------     
Armoury Crate UWP App      2.6.4.0     
ROG Live Service           1.0.21.0    
AURA Service (Lighting Service)  3.03.85     
Armoury Crate lite service  2.6.7       
ASUS AIOFan HAL            1.1.2       
ASUS AURA Extension Card HAL  1.0.16      
ASUS AURA Motherboard HAL  1.0.60      
ASUS AURA Odd Component    1.0.8       
ASUS MB Peripheral Products  1.0.31      
AacDispaly                 1.1.25      
AacVGA                     0.0.2.3     
CosairDram                 1.0.13      
KingstonDram               1.0.20      
AURA DRAM Component        1.0.37      
CorsairAsusPlugin          2.0.0       
ENE RGB HAL                1.00.12     
ENE_DRAM_RGB_AURA42        1.00.02     
GALAX GAMER RGB            1.00.02     
Patriot Viper M2 SSD RGB   1.00.05     
Patriot Viper RGB          1.00.08     

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Same problem here with my C34 on my ASUS Prime X570-P.  Using the button on the case, the LEDs on the front fans work just fine.  If I plug my aRGB header into my rear fan, no problems with it's LEDs.  But using the motherboard to controll the LEDs won't work.  When I connect it to the case controller and the rear fan LEDs don't light and only one of the top fan's LEDs light up, regardless of if the rear fan is connected to the controller board or not.  But the one LED that does work will do the effect I select in Armoury Crate.  And no matter what is selected, the RAM LEDs work just fine.  I just contacted support on the web page and I am hoping to hear back soon...

fan led.jpg

On 10/8/2019 at 9:12 AM, morpheus258 said:

Here is what I posted in the thermaltake group on facebook.  

Just built a new rig with Thermaltake commander C36 case. Has the 2 200mm ARGB fans and says it is compatible with asus aura. I have an Asus TUF x570 MB. The fans work and go through the presets using the button just fine but when I hold the button down to be able to control and sync them with asus aura only one led is lit. I have the case led board plugged into the ARGB header with the cable provided. If anyone has any insight on this let me know. 

thermaltake.jpg

I have the exact same issue. X570 wifi mb with the v250 case. I need help!

So, even with COVID-19 running amuck, it's been 2 weeks now and I've heard nothing from TT's tech department.  Has anybody else gotten a response out of them lately about this?  I don't want to have to buy new fans or hack the controller board just to get the RGB up front to work like it should be.  I honestly expected better from TT than this.

Yea. It's been over a month for me. I also sent a second message to them after 2 weeks. Still nothing. I finally called at week 3 and they said to only use Aura Sync. That wasnt3the issue. 

It's really easy to pop the chip off. Took about 30 minutes including unplugging the case, do the fix, and plug it all back up. 

noctua fans and airgoo led strip. airgoo strips are super cheap, and they come with magnetic and sticky backing, the addressable lights work great and you can daisy chan multiples together. if you want fancy lights actually IN your fans, they're not gonna be cheap, or the fans arent gonna be very good. 

Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM, High Performance Cooling Fan, 4-Pin, 1700 RPM (120mm, Grey) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CG2PGY6/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_MxiSEb23JTEPH

PC RGB LED Strip Light, 2pcs DreamColor Magnetic Addressable LED Strip Light for 5V 3pin ARGB LED headers, Compatible with ASUS Aura SYNC, Gigabyte RGB Fusion, MSI Mystic Light Sync, with More LEDs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DPNNTHJ/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_gziSEbB41PNGD

now the lights are $19 but I swear I bought them for $8

still, 14 each for fans and 19 for 42 lights, puts you at a total of about $60, and the lights look fantastic and the fans are quieter and cool better than stock. also I reccomend mounting the fans on the back of the front mounts, you'll get much better airflow.

I've since gone to liquid cooling and realized that I need a bigger case anyways, but for now, this works. still using the noctua fans and air goo lights though. 

On 5/4/2020 at 2:40 PM, CplPunishr said:

you never will hear back from them, and if you do, it will never be useful info. just mod the controller and buy your next case from someone else. 

My only problem is I don't want to mod the controller, I just want it to work as advertised.  Their webpage on the Commander C34 says:

Sync with Motherboard RGB Software

Designed to synchronize with ASUS Aura Sync, GIGABYTE RGB Fusion, MSI Mystic Light Sync and ASRock Polychrome. It supports motherboards that have a 5V addressable RGB header, allowing you to control the lights directly from the above-mentioned software without installing any extra lighting software or controllers.

Part of why I chose this case is because of that promise, and for a cost of $109.99 +s/h, they need to honor that promise.