DPS App causes my HD heads to bounce at 1Hz

I love the Toughpower irgb plus 1050W Digital Power supply, it is so quiet.  But when I installed the TT DPS G app (V3.2.0) on my PC, the app is causing my WD Black hard drive's heads to hunt very loudly every 1 second.  It's driving me nuts.  As soon as I shut down the app from my taskbar, the hard drive stops hunting, so I know it's the app causing it. I don't need the app functionality, I just want to be able to control the fan's LEDs with my existing RIING Plus ecosystem.

Has anyone connected their Power Supply's USB connection to a RIING Plus, Duo or Trio controller?  The cable provided with the power supply only connects to a USB 2.0 header on the motherboard and doesn't have the proper pin configuration to attach to a RIING controller. All the website talks about is using their app, but I don't like what it's doing to my hard drives.  If it's "pinging" my SSDs at a 1 Hz rate like it is doing to my mechanical hard drive, how much wear and tear is that causing to their limited write cycle?  I just want to be able to connect the power supply's RGB light to the controller(s) running all my other RIING fan LEDs. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/17/2019 at 6:26 PM, Dusty said:

Thank you!

Hi Dusty

Our engineer team check the code, and find out that.

We did not "pinging"  SSDs at a 1 Hz rate like it is doing to mechanical hard drive, and we have many test  to verify it.

We do many test both HDD and SSD to check out this issue.

If you still have issue, please check with your hard drive , thank you! 

I still have the issue with the DPS G App.  I have a very quiet desktop PC, and I can clearly hear the 6TB Western Digital Black hard drive's heads bouncing at a continual 1 HZ rate as soon as the DPS G app loads, and it stops as soon as I quit the app from the taskbar.  I am using App version 3.2.0.  Is there an updated version? I ran basic and extended SMART tests on my hard drive, and it passes both tests.

I just installed version 3.2.05, but my hard drive heads still make the same "hunting" sound at a 1 hz rate as long as the app is running in the background.  Shortly after installing this new version, my Firefox browser started crashing all of its open tabs.  I tried refreshing Firefox, and that made no difference. Then I uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled Firefox and it still crashed.  Since the only program I installed today was your app, I uninstalled it, and Firefox immediately stopped crashing.  It seems very unlikely to have been a coincidence.  As of now, I have no version of the DPS G app installed on my PC.

I built this system using the TT Level 20 GT RGB Plus case, TT Floe Triple Riing 360 CPU AIO, TT Toughpower IRGB Plus 1050W 80+ Platinum digital RGB power supply, and a total of 4 TT 200mm riing duo and trio case fans, 5 TT 120mm duo and trio fans (including the AIO) and 1 TT 140mm duo case fan.  With an analog sound pressure meter located 6 inches from the back of the case, it is so quiet it doesn't reach the lowest number on the low scale--but it looks to be about 32db during normal system operation (not benchmarking). This is why I am able to hear the hard drive's heads hunting when the DPS G App is running and stops when I close the app.  I doubt that many systems would be able to hear their system's spinning hard drives.

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

Hi,

I already had TT RGB Plus installed before installing the DPS G App, and the hard drive issue does not happen with that software.  I only installed the DPS G App software because I installed the TT digital power supply later on and wanted to be able to control the fan speed of the power supply, which I could not do with the TT RGB Plus software.  While I like the other functionality of the DPS G app, the constant hard drive noise it adds to my otherwise very quiet system made me uninstall it. 

By the way, uninstalling it was very difficult, because it crashed during the uninstall.  I tried reinstalling it then uninstalling it, and the same thing happened. I got an error in the middle of the uninstall procedure which was in Taiwanese, (I did not screen capture it) and every time my system rebooted, Windows would say that it could not find Thermaltake power.exe.  Nothing for the DPS G app was listed under Task Manager Startup, so I had to install Windows Autoruns64 in order to remove the remaining load commands for Thermaltake power.exe that were not removed by the uninstall routine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...